Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I originally posted this to ask what I should get - a MKIII Ruger, or a Sig Mosquito. I posted this on several sites, and it looks like Ruger is running away with this - hands down. After some of the responses regarding the Sig, here and elsewhere, I've decided to go with the Ruger.

So instead of continuing with a Ruger v/s Sig discussion, I cut and pasted my response from page 3, regarding which model of MK III I should buy (I want a 22/45, and will use it for range shooting mostly for practice, as well as an occasional trip to the woods for squirrels).

I've found a few on Gunbroker.

Slab Side 4.5" Blued barrel.

Bull Barrel 4" Blued barrel.
Bull Barrel 5.5" Blued barrel.
Bull Barrel 5.5" Stainless barrel.

Hunter 4.5" Stainless fluted barrel
Hunter 6 7/8" Stainless fluted barrel

Hunter 5.5" Blued fluted barrel (not on Rugers Website)

I'm leaning towards that 5.5" Blued fluted... but I don't see it offered anywhere else - including Ruger's site, so I'm skeptical about ordering it. After that, I think that Hunter 6 7/8" fluted stainless would be pretty sweet.

Thanks for the replies everyone!
All the best,
Glenn

·
Banned
5,690 Posts
The only Sig Mosquito I've ever seen has been back to Sig THREE TIMES for excessive jamming and basically they have never even improved it.

That amazes me since Sig is a very high quality gun.
Some other people have reported theirs is reliable but only with certain ammo (which isn't too unusual for .22 pistols to prefer some ammo brands over others).

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Never shot one of the Sig Mosquito's, but I've read enough bad reports to make me wary of one.

I've got a MKIII, pretty decent .22.

The MKIII would be my choice.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
I want to trade my Buck up to a 22/45. Rimfires are Ruger's best stuff.

·
Registered
159 Posts
ruger all the way the sig is junk friend had one. nothing but problums
The one i have been looking at is the walther p22.I have the mark III target slab side great gun a little heavy.

·
Registered
22 Posts
The Ruger is a proven target .22 pistol. I've had a Mark II with the Luger-style grips and a Mark III 22/45 with the 1911 angle .45 style grips. Both feed reliably and shoot straight. The later Rugers add safety features like loaded chamber indicator and magazine disconnect, beveled receiver to allow easier access to the bolt tabs, but the basic handling remain the same.

The Ruger is a relatively large gun and stable for range shooting, plinking or even small game. It is not a concealed carry weapon given its size to stopping power.

But for shear fun, it's cheap to shoot all day, accurate and well-balanced. I've shot thousands of rounds through a Mark I, a Mark II and now recently a new Mark III. I can't remember a single misfire or failure to extract, shooting mostly cheap Remington and some higher priced CCI ammo.

My only complaint? Fully taking down a Ruger Mark is a bit of a pain. It is technically "tool free" as there is a lever in the back of the grip, but the lever requires a fairly high degree of initial force to open.

For all of that, if you shoot 1911 .45 or an XD with the same grip angle, the Ruger 22/45 is the .22 caliber pistol of choice. Develop good habits with a cheap shooting .22 that has a similar feel because it too has the same 1911 grip angle. I've heard, but not experienced, that the Ruger feeds more reliably than .22 conversion kits for 1911 .45s, but that may vary some by kit maker as well.

·
Registered
890 Posts
What's the difference between the Ruger MKII 22/45 and the MKIII 22/45?
MKIII Differences
  • Magazine disconnect
  • Loaded chamber indicator
  • Receiver already drilled for optics rail
  • Grip is slimmer than the MKII 22/45 (this is why I specifically looked for the MKII 22/45, as I didn't like the grip on the MKIII)

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
As much as I LOVE my P-series SIGs...there is NO WAY I would ever trade my Ruger 22-45 for a Mosquito...ever.

I love my 22-45..shoot one...you'l end up buying one! I have been shooting one for 10 years and am very impressed with it.

- Brickboy240

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
MKIII Differences
  • Magazine disconnect
  • Loaded chamber indicator
  • Receiver already drilled for optics rail
  • Grip is slimmer than the MKII 22/45 (this is why I specifically looked for the MKII 22/45, as I didn't like the grip on the MKIII)
Also, the MkII has a "heel" magazine release, while the MkIII puts it up where God and John Moses Browning intended it to be.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Also, the MkII has a "heel" magazine release, while the MkIII puts it up where God and John Moses Browning intended it to be.

I believe the MKII 22/45's had the thumb release already.

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
Well speaking as someone who actually OWNS a Sig Mosquito ( made apparently by GSG btw ) I have put over 1500rnds through it this summer with 3 or less failures of any kind. Not 3 failures AFTER it got broke in, not 3 failures AFTER I figured out what spring/ammo combo to use. 3 failures in total from day one. I had done my research on the bad rep of the Skeeter and thought I could probably fix whatever was causing the prob but the newer ones are much better.
The new ones come with two recoil springs ( easily changed ) put the light one in while new and shoot 500 CCI Mini-Mags ( mine even came with a coupon from Sig for $$ off the first 400rnds ). After that you can put in the heavy spring and experiment if you want, I just keep shooting Mini-Mags.
The Mosquito is an excellent choice if you want to mimic a Service pistol, it's more than accurate enough but likely not as accurate as the Rugers, they all have pros and cons.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
Ruger all the way. I have a MkIII 22/45.. Here is my pic

1 - 20 of 38 Posts