Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well folks what can i say I got lucky today!! Walk in to one of the shop and there it is the Ruger Gunsite scout rifle in 308 waiting for me! as soon as I walked in he had a big smile and gave it to me!..I think I just found the perfect rifle for me!..haven't shot it yet because i just got it yesterday, I will probably try it this week end but anyway I am so stoke and happy about this rifle, it feels nice in my hands and man the trigger is amazing! here it is..

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Fantastic! I'd like to get my hands one one of these too! Be sure to put on a range report! :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
I was really excited about these until I saw some range reports. Hope yours is more accurate than the others Ive seen...
X's2. had the gentleman in the stall next to me complaining about it, said he couldn't get use to the eye relief either. but then again, it was his first experience with such a rifle.

personally, I would love to see what I can do with that thing sans scope. I'm an open sight kinda guy.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hello guys/gals sorry it took a while for me to do a range report, anyway I was able to try it last sunday and man this rifle is sweet!! I only shot 40 rounds because I was kinda in a hurry being it was mother's day , it only took me 4 shots to zero at 50yds, then another 3 shots to zero at 100yds with the pistol scope i installed.
Recoil is not bad as you can see in my little video, it came with 1 10 round mag, you can get 5 rounders but haven't looked yet, the rail can be taken off but you don't have too because you can use a regular scope just have to take off the rear sights.(it came with a scope rings already) Anyway here is how it grouped at a 100yds with the scope i had on, i was using factory ammo and my bag as my rest so be nice on how i did with my groups pls..This group was the result of the shooting video( I was using my Iphone to take video when my wife called thats why the last shot was not recorded).

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
I know I like mine! I think the reports of crappy accuracy need to be taken with a BIG grain of salt, here's my best group so far.
Edited: I suppose I should add that that's the only group I have fired for accuracy and was after about 35 rounds messing around and getting the feel of it. Shot with Serbian match ammo.

Congrats on a great rifle! Dont let the haters get you down. :D

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
Well, I like mine. And it's accurate.

I'm also curious to see how it shoots with just the irons.

Mebbe I got a ringer and mine just shoots good or mebbe I need to look harder but Im curious to see these range reports everyone refers to that says it does not shoot well.

I WILL say, for me, the trigger is kinda heavy, but is crisp and can be managed.
I did get a Timney for it though.

To each his own.
:D

·
Registered
9,947 Posts
I want one so bad. I have an M10-A2 that I love. The M10 is an Enfield "Jungle" model from Australia thats chambered for 7.62x39. The plus is that it could use AK mags, but the rifle is on this type of concept. I wish I could afford it.

·
Super Moderator
46,389 Posts
I know I like mine! I think the reports of crappy accuracy need to be taken with a BIG grain of salt, here's my best group so far.
Edited: I suppose I should add that that's the only group I have fired for accuracy and was after about 35 rounds messing around and getting the feel of it. Shot with Serbian match ammo.

Congrats on a great rifle! Dont let the haters get you down. :D

Who is that handsome devil???? :p

·
Premium Member
12,086 Posts
I was a little skeptical at first because I've never really warmed up to the forward scope set-up, but after thinking about it for a while that would make a fantastic all-around bush gun. I can definitely see it making a trip to Texas for a hog hunt. Hmmm......

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
Who is that handsome devil???? :p

Ugh, I hate that picture. But had to put it up as it's the only with me AND the rifle AND the target

I still need to go really bench it for some group averages, but Im confident it'll do well

·
Registered
178 Posts
There ia a big write up in American Rifleman about it. Looks and sounds like an amazing weapon!

·
Registered
7,687 Posts
The tests I have seen all mentioned that it was not a sniper rifle by any means (and it isn't meant to be), but was easily capable of killing a varmint or man (let's be honest it IS a scout rifle) out well past 300yds easily.

·
Premium Member
1,574 Posts
Hmmm... crappy shoot'en The range reports say different.
The May issue of Gun Tests has a review of the RGS rifle. They posted the range results using 4 different types of ammo. They used 3 shot groups @ 100 yds fired from a machine rest. I did not see a number regarding how many groups were shot with each type of ammo.

SG = smallest group
LG = largest group
AG = average group

1st ammo group = misc mixed ball 150 gr FMC SG=1.6" LG = 3.3" AG = 2.2"

2nd ammo group = Hirtenberger 150 gr JSN SG=2.5" LG = 2.9" AG = 2.7"

3rd ammo group = Win. Supreme Comp 168 gr HPBT Match SG=1.4" LG = 1.8" AG = 1.6"

4th ammo group = Handload 150 gr JSN SG = 1.5" LG = 2.3" AG = 1.9"

Overall, the rifle didn't rate all that well for a variety of reasons, per the article.

FWIW, Gun Tests doesn't sell ad space and they purchase the guns they review. As such, they really are not beholding to any manufacturer for saying something good or bad. You will have to decided if the validity of their review is correct or not. They have done reviews I've agreed with and others I have not, all based on personal experience with a firearm in the review.

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
What are the optics you guys are running?
I run a Burris 2-7x32 handgun scope. I also have this scope on my daughter's 243 M77 Frontier rifle (same concept but sportier) she had no probls dropping a Buck off hand at 70yds with very little time to make the shot. I have the ballisti-plex reticule on both of them.

link

http://www.burrisoptics.com/handgun1.html#2x7x

1 - 20 of 36 Posts