Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know a lot of folks around here carry the LCP. Anyone else experience extreme FTE issues with theirs?

My wife has had hers going on 3 weeks now and the first FTE happened the very same day we bought it. It happened on several rounds thru several magazines. We were using Federal Am Eagle (red box) ammo and was hoping it was because of that.

Haven't shot the gun very much (only 10 rounds or so of Blazer) since then, but the Hornady Critical Defense I bought will not eject at all manually (haven't had a chance to shoot them through the gun yet). I had to take the slide off the gun to get the cartridge to come out. Couldn't get it to dislodge any other way. Really thinking this needs to go back to Ruger for inspection/work/repair. What say you?

·
Registered
877 Posts
Wow, no issues here. Strange that you couldn't even get it to eject by hand and had to remove the slide. Doesn't sound good....... I've only got about 300-400 rounds down mine, but they all have been flawless. Good luck

·
Premium Member
17,523 Posts
I polished my barrel and ramp when I bought mine.
I've never had any reliability problems with it in over 3 years.

Some guys also put heavier recoil springs in their LCPs.
But it makes the slide harder to rack.
Springs for RUGER LCP .380 Semi-Auto Pistols

Guns will run very differently when shooting them as opposed to manually cycling ammo.

I've been very satisfied with my LCP..:D

Ruger has great customer service.
I say give them a call and let them make it right.;)

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
FTE are usually a sign of limpwristing.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
FTE are usually a sign of limpwristing.
I thought so as well...but that doesn't explain manually emptying the chamber too, does it?

If I rack one and try to manually empty the gun, the cartridge remains stuck in the gun. It's nearly impossible to pry out, and for fear of damaging anything, I take the slide off to get the shell out. It's seems that it's sticking on/around the ejector piece.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
It could be your limp wristing it and not realizing it. Sometimes new owners just need to learn how to shoot these little pocket pistols. It happens all the time.
Having said that though I would do a fluff and buff and a good cleaning on the pistol if you haven't done so already. You never really mentioned how many rounds you have through it,but 200 flawless rounds is usually required before you should consider carrying it for SD. What I've noticed with the Kel Tec P3at and the Ruger LCP is that some pistols are much tighter than others when you first get them. Not suprising being that they are so inexpensively made. I broke mine in on WW box FMJ ammo before I ever tried shooting HP's in it. These little pocket pistols get better with age and just need to loosen up a bit. Like 1Lowlife I polished the barrel on my P3at and I think it does wonders for the pistol as far as cycling. I like you in the begining had a few FTE but just getting used to shooting the pistol and the F&B took care of all that. Now over 800 flawless rounds later it just gets better. I have recommended both these little pistols to people, as I think they are a great bang for the buck when it comes to pocket pistols. Just give it time I'm almost positive it will straighten itself out. Good luck

·
Registered
464 Posts
I would call Ruger and let them know what is going on. It can not be limpwristing if he is not actually firing the gun. If it will not manually eject a shell, there is a problem with the gun.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
I thought so as well...but that doesn't explain manually emptying the chamber too, does it?

If I rack one and try to manually empty the gun, the cartridge remains stuck in the gun. It's nearly impossible to pry out, and for fear of damaging anything, I take the slide off to get the shell out. It's seems that it's sticking on/around the ejector piece.
So let me get this straight once you have a failure to extract you try to manually eject the shell and it's hard to cycle the slide by hand because the empty shell feels like it's stuck?

It that's the issue then I would suspect a rough chamber. Do the shells look OK? Are they bulged? Does the hard to extract symptom go away if you drop the mag then try to extract?

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
I would call Ruger and let them know what is going on. It can not be limpwristing if he is not actually firing the gun. If it will not manually eject a shell, there is a problem with the gun.
If the round is stuck in the barrel I'd try a different brand of ammo.

·
Registered
464 Posts
i think everyone is missing the fact that it is having problems when not being fired..also that means any type,brand or color ammo you put in it it will have the same problem.

·
Premium Member
17,523 Posts

You know it is a .380 and not 9mm?
You're not running 9mm in it are you...:confused:

Just kidding..:cool:

I'd call Ruger and let them know what is going on.
Better to let them handle it, that is what your warranty is for..

I'll also second Bluto's comments about a 200 round minimum break in.
I know the LCP is no joy to shoot at the range.
But I did run two 100 rd boxes of WWB FMJ and 20 rounds of Speer Gold Dot JHP when mine was new.

But from research I've read, better to carry flat nosed FMJ for self defense.
380 JHP have been known to have expansion problems.
I actually carry 2 Gold Dots and 5 FMJs when I carry my LCP.

If you're having ejection problems when properly shooting the pistol, let Ruger handle it.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
We compared our gun to my mom's and discovered a broken piece inside of ours. I haven't looked for a parts schematic to find out the proper name of the part. It's on the left handed side of the gun and it has to have something to do with extracting. It's actually part of the slide lock assy. I'll post back here once I look it up and contact Ruger to see what they tell me. Thanks for all the input.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
do the rounds drop in and out the chamber unfired?
I can rack a round, open the slide (lock it back) and the shell will not fall out. If you peck around on it enough it will eventually fall out through the mag well. But otherwise it's "stuck". It comes out of the chamber/barrel (what I would call the loaded position) but not out of the open part of the chamber that is visible when the slide is back.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
You need to actually fore the gun to have it operate correctly.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You need to actually fore the gun to have it operate correctly.
I have fired the gun and it began giving us problems from the start. As I stated (and have since read over on elsiepea boards) after comparing with my mom's LCP there is definitely something broken on the slide lock..and someone on elsiepea stated that the slide lock IS part of the ejection process.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
I have fired the gun and it began giving us problems from the start. As I stated (and have since read over on elsiepea boards) after comparing with my mom's LCP there is definitely something broken on the slide lock..and someone on elsiepea stated that the slide lock IS part of the ejection process.
With that said it sounds like Ruger didn't do such a good job with this gun. I'm sure they'll fix it.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Yep I'm on elsiepea also and the decision is unanimous, send it back to Ruger. Customer service is great and you won't be without it for long. Good luck!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yep I'm on elsiepea also and the decision is unanimous, send it back to Ruger. Customer service is great and you won't be without it for long. Good luck!
According to Ruger they will send me the extractor (which is what she called it). Guess that is pretty important in the whole extraction/ejection process.hahaha.

I only hope changing it out is as easy as they make it out to be.. :shock:

·
Premium Member
17,523 Posts
According to Ruger they will send me the extractor (which is what she called it). Guess that is pretty important in the whole extraction/ejection process.hahaha.

I only hope changing it out is as easy as they make it out to be.. :shock:

If you are going to change it out, it isn't that hard.
Use the instructions in this link..

Extractor removal
http://elsiepeaforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=1562.0

You won't need to strip the frame, but here is a link.
Frame strip..
Got brave and detail stripped Elise's frame "to the bones"

I totally disassembled my LCP when I sent some parts off to be plated.
It wasn't that hard..
Although I never took the slide apart, I let the plater do that.;)

BTW I wouldn't think the slide stop has anything to with ejection, unless it or the spring for it was broken.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts