Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Today I went to a local range and rented a Ruger LC9 9MM. I've heard people talk about these pocket pistols thought I give one test run on the range with 100 rounds of RWS 124 grain 9mm round.

I was a little surprised by the recoil. I have an XDm 9mm 5.25 competition and it must be much more forgiving. I had to force my self to put all 100 round through the Ruger LC9. For me it really seemed hard to hold on to, with a lot of muzzle flip.

This is the first mini or small frame pocket pistol I've shot. Do all of the smaller pistols have less recoil control compared to a full frame pistol like the XDm?

I was thinking of buying the Ruger before renting it. However, Now I'm thinking maybe an XD compact 9mm may be more in order.

Breaking the shot was not so bad. It has a long double action trigger pull, But the recoil on the little pistol was kind of crazy. Maybe it was my grip or something.

Anyone shoot the Ruger LC9 and can campare to a Kahr CM9 or PM9?

- Mike

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have the LC9 and my dad has the PM9, the PM9 is better to shoot with less muzzle flip and a better triger pull in my opinion. It is however over 2 times the price of the LC9. Now I shoot 50-100 rounds through my LC9 and don't have much of a problem as I did have a LCP and that thing kicked stupid crazy. What I have found that helps me shoot the LC9 is a tight tight grip with both hands, but I also shoot it one handed when I practice from my pocket holster and as long as I have a good grip it is managable. Now that being said I shoot a 40 XDSC and Glock 23 and don't think they kick.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi,

Okay, then its not just me. I'd imagine that it just takes more trigger time to get used to the grip necessary to control the LC9.

I think I'll rent it again and see how that goes. The size is what I was looking for. Just did not expect such a kick from a 9mm.

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
The little guns kick a lot more than most people realize. It's the price you pay for a little gun. You do get use to it though. Like said above, try the LCP if you want to feel even more kick.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi,

Thanks guys. I guess the general consensus is pocket guns just kick more. Something to consider. In the little bit poking around on the net and watching youtube reviews no one mentioned the kick.

- Mike

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
See if you can rent a PM9 or CM9; then you will have something to compare to the Ruger. My CW9 has a lot less recoil than any of the other "pocket" pistols I've tried.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Hi,

Is there a significant difference between the PM9 and CM9 or did one replace the other the line up Kahr offers.

edit:
I did some looking around and the big difference is the barrel rifling polygonal in the PM9 vs. standard rifling in the CM9. Other than that they are very similar gund

- Mike

·
Registered
69 Posts
Yep that LCP is a kicker. My wife fired it ONCE and handed it back to me:D
My pps9 is very controllable and very accurate. I guess it is about the size of the PM9 yes? or no?

·
Registered
8,632 Posts
Yep that LCP is a kicker. My wife fired it ONCE and handed it back to me:D
My pps9 is very controllable and very accurate. I guess it is about the size of the PM9 yes? or no?
Quite a bit larger. But the PPS is controllable for sure. I had one and it was nice to shoot. My PM9 is also very easy to shoot.

·
Premium Member
2,739 Posts
A lot of that flip has to do with how much skin you have on the gun.

I don't really notice the flip at all. I don't have particularly large hands, but I'm so focused on the target that muzzle flip isn't what I'm concentrating on.

I think part of it has to do with the grip. When I'm shooting my LC9 I'm making sure that I have as much of the left hand palm and thumb pad on the grip as I can. The more skin you have in contact w/ the grip, the better.

And, certainly, if you're shooting +P ammo, there's more flip. But in my case, I'm looking for that muzzle to come back down on target, not noting how much flip there is.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I just bought an LC9 for my EDC. I just have to throw it in that I'm really happy with it. It took me about 20-30 rounds at first to get used to the DA trigger, but I ended up being able to place a good group after 50 or so rounds. I'll get some more practice in with it this week. The important part is that it's a) very easily concealable and b) I can place the shots on a body if I have to.

·
Registered
342 Posts
The nylon guide rod on my new LC9 broke after only 50 rounds of 115 gr American Eagle. Gun Shop replaced it immediately.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi,

I'm going to hit the local range and rent a PM9 to give it try. I was handling one from the case today. I like the grip better than the LC9 for my hand.

I'll post back after my rental.

- Mike

1 - 17 of 17 Posts