Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seen several references in other threads but haven't seen an ongoing discussion here in the bolt gun section.

I fondled a compact model last week and loved how it handles. I've read lots of web hype, but who's really rockin' one? Would you recommend it to your best friend (or at least a fellow XDer)? Is it really a great buy? Caliber is not an issue; I'd like to hear about performance and reliability.

·
Registered
4,094 Posts
Happy with my 22. Full size sure to be good. Trigger talks, BS walks.

·
Registered
316 Posts
For the price, they seem to be decent rifles. I'd probably recommend one if that's all my friend's budget would allow.

·
Registered
10,949 Posts
I would recommend a savage 111. Mine is in .270. Can't say enough good about the accutrigger. I can get 3 inches at 200 yards easily on a windy day with fed 150 grain soft point round nose ammo. It isn't a marksman rifle (it could be with premium ammo and a better scope), it is a hunting rifle. It does all I need.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks DixieXD. Any other owners out there?

I'm interested in a utility gun, something always reserved for four wheeling duty in the Suburban (which has replaced the Blazer).

A friend of mine (non-gun-guy) is interested in something for his teenage son who drew a junior elk tag this year.

Budget is a consideration for each of us. The American Rifleman wrote up a nice article recently giving a favorable review, but I'd really like to hear from owners about your impressions.

·
Registered
80 Posts
BIL has one in .308 Win & the gun is all they say. Shoots great. Great trigger.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Haven't had any issues with mine. Gets plenty of squirrel kills off the front porch out to 30 yards or so before the squirrels are in the woods and I cannot see them. The bolt on mine does have a little hitch it in though, but I just haven't had the time to find out where its hitting and address that problem.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I have one in 30-06 and I love it! Shooting from a bench at 200 yards and I can hit a 4" group consistently. I'm sure it's more capable than I am.

The recoil is surprisingly gentle for such a lightweight rifle.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you Ruger owners for your help. I will pass on your recommendations to non-gun-guy as he and his son plan for elk season. I too appreciate the input because I've got a hankerin' to add an '06 to my gun cabinet and keep looking at Rugers more than anything else.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts