Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a pawnshop near my house that has a nearly new looking blued Ruger 77/17 (17HMR caliber) in the Ruger all weather stock for sale. This rifle wears Ruger steel rings and a Leupold 3x9x40mm scope. It also has a Blackhawk black web sling.

The guy wants 380 dollars for it.

Anyone own a 77/17? If they shooe half as good as the 77/22..this one ought to be great. The price seems really good, too. He took it in on trade from a guy in the neighborhood that rarely shot it and needs quick cash. It is in almost new condition...not a scratch on it.

I was not really in the market, but this would make a really nice short range small varmint gun and plinker.

Any opinions on the price or the shooting quality of the Ruger 77/17 would be appreciated. I own a Mini-14 and 10-22 but know nothing about Ruger's bolt guns.

Thanks,

- brickboy240

·
Premium Member
2,694 Posts
No, but I've outshot one with my $165 Savage.

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Where can you get a Savage 17HMR that cheap? Bull barreled Savage 17s areound here start at about 225-250. Then...I have to scope it.

This M77/17 looks like a decent deal. The scope alone is probably 200-250 bucks.

- brickboy240

·
Premium Member
2,694 Posts
I gotta admit, that was 4-5 years ago on gun broker. Got me back into shooting after a 20 year lay off. Need to go to rehab.

Which Leupold? I think the Rifleman and VX-I are pretty cheap. Probably a good deal if you like Ruger's though.

·
Premium Member
1,232 Posts
Yeah...I got one.:DShot it on Monday as a matter of fact. My son and I were sighting in the H&R ultra slugger 20ga, prior to shooting this, so we were a tad flinchy, but we still could make touching holes at 50 yds no problem.

I bought it when they first came out and I think I have about $500 in it with the scope and all, but it's the stainless model with laminated stock.
After shooting it the other day, right after the slugger, I would say it needs a trigger kit, since the H&R was by far better.
I'm a Ruger fan, they are built like tanks, and this one is no exception. It shoots as good as I can and then some. Fun plinker, and hell on possums, armadillos and such. If you like it, buy it.

·
Premium Member
2,694 Posts
My Savage is the pre-accutrigger, so I put a Rifle Basix in it. World of difference.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I have a 77/22 and love it.

Best bang for the buck + most accurate is probbly a mark ll savage though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts