Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I took my 10/22 out to the range today. I am very pleased with the trip. Unlike the last time, I had no FTE/FTF issues using Federal Bulk and CCI mini mags HV 36 gr.

Here are the results at 50 yards. Top group is about 20 rounds, bottom is about 80 rounds - total 100 rounds/1 box of CCI mini-mags.

Previously...

After waiting for a good deal on either a M&P 15-22 or Sig 522, I got the sudden urge to get a starter rifle and lo and behold, the Ruger 10/22 showed up. I wanted to keep it low budget but still have fun shooting. A 10/22 was it with plenty of configuration options and a large support base.

Took the trip to Academy and bought a stock 18.5" barrel 10/22. I quickly found that I did not particularly like the wood stock it came with and so I started hunting for a replacement stock. I picked up a few accessories along the way. The end result was a 10/22 with the following mods:

- ATI Strikefoce - Six Position Side Folding Stock
- Christie's Auto Bolt-Release
- Volquartsen 10/22 Target Hammer and trigger spring kit
- Butler Creek 25/22 Steel Lips Mags
- Butler Creek Hot Lips Loader
- Butler Creek Easy Rider Sling
- NcStar Short Muzzle Brake
- NcStar 3-9X40 Black Scope/Ruby Lens/Ring

Notes:

The Volquartsen hammer is, IMHO, a necessary mod. It lightened the trigger pull a lot - I would say from 5 lbs to 2 lbs. I also had to file a little bit off the tip of the Butler Creek steel lips as it was hitting the bottom of the bolt.

The NcStar Scope is also a good scope. I held on so far after making the windage/elevation adjustments. I had to strengthen the stock weaver rail by adding some loctite to the screws though as an extra precaution. The scope mount itself it easy to put on and came with the jumbo mounting screws that I can tighten real good. Only complaint is that I need to use a coin to make adjustments.

The Butler Creek Hot Lips Loader is another ABSOLUTELY necessary accessory. Loading those 25 round mags gets old quickly. I tried Shooter's Ridge before settling with Butler Creek. BC is easier to operate and seems faster to load ammo.

I have taken it twice to the range already - for optics adjustments and ammo testing. I have it now set for 50 yards. So far, I've used the following ammo:

- Winchester XPERT22
- Federal Walmart Bulk Pack
- CCI Mini-mags

All fed relatively trouble free with a few FTF - which I attribute to the BC magazine and break in. After about 1,000 rounds between 2 range trips, I've only cleaned it twice - once after I bought it, 2nd after 1,000 rounds - not bad performance at all.

I had so much fun shooting it at the range and decided to bring my 8 year old son with me. We used up about 600 rounds all afternoon until closing time.

I'm looking forward to taking it again next time and probably will be testing several ammo brands. Based on my relatively short time with this rifle, I found that the CCI mini-mags are the best of the bunch that I tried. I've read other posts recommending other brands and I will probably try those too.

I am pretty happy with the results so far and found another hobby which my son and I will both enjoy!

And for your viewing pleasure...

·
Registered
662 Posts
Nice. I just got mine home as well, and looking for tweak ideas. A mag release and larger charging handle are first I think. What did you pay for the stock? It looks really sharp.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got the stock from ManVentureOutpost.com for $60 + shipping. I was originally planning a Tapco Intrafuse, but after handling the ATI at my LGS, I was impressed with the build quality of the ATI. Yes, it's plastic. But the walls are thick and barely have any flex in it. I also like the folding stock. It's also got a bunch of extras that came with it - angled stock adapter, cheek rest, extra rails, and sling mounts.

I considered the mag release and extended charging handle. In my quest to keep with total invested as low as possible, I opted for the trigger and auto-bolt release instead. The stock charging handle works fine for me.

·
Registered
662 Posts
What does the auto-bolt release do/for. I've seen it while looking but couldn't tell from the pics.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
What does the auto-bolt release do/for. I've seen it while looking but couldn't tell from the pics.
With the stock bolt release it will not let the bolt go forward unless you manually disengage it. With the auto-bolt release it will allow the bolt to move forward just by pulling the bolt back and letting it go.

You can also modify the stock bolt lock/release to behave the same way by filing part of it. Plenty of pics and how-to's online.

- Spike

·
Registered
662 Posts
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
With the stock bolt release it will not let the bolt go forward unless you manually disengage it. With the auto-bolt release it will allow the bolt to move forward just by pulling the bolt back and letting it go.

You can also modify the stock bolt lock/release to behave the same way by filing part of it. Plenty of pics and how-to's online.

- Spike
Yep. I did that. But my ignorance and stupidity took over. I was filing it based on recommendations online, reassembling it, and testing. In my case, I was putting the trigger pins back and then trying out the auto-bolt release. It kept getting stuck back when I pull the bolt and I kept thinking I need to make more adjustments. I panicked and decided to just buy the Christie's part on eBay ($8 bucks). Well, after like 10 minutes, I figured what was wrong. I did not put back that DANG bolt buffer pin!

So now I figured this out, my filed and modded bolt release works 100% and even took it to the range without any issues. However, I went ahead and installed the Christie's Bolt Release when I got it because it has a slightly different profile than stock that makes it easier to engage.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Those Volquartsen trigger kits are absolutely amazing. Good choice! Might I also recommend CCI Standard Velocity? I've shot a ton of different 10/22's and it always seems to function perfectly and give better than usual accuracy for a "bulk" round. Plus, it's quite clean-burning.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Those Volquartsen trigger kits are absolutely amazing. Good choice! Might I also recommend CCI Standard Velocity? I've shot a ton of different 10/22's and it always seems to function perfectly and give better than usual accuracy for a "bulk" round. Plus, it's quite clean-burning.
Yeah, I have that on my list of ammo to try. Unfortunately, I can't find them at my usual places and have to order them online. I actually want to try:

- CCI Standard Velocity
- CCI Velocitor

Best Ammo for a Ruger 10/22

·
Registered
895 Posts
great build!!!! a few months back i bought a ruger 10/22 with tapco intrafuse stock, i did similair mods and also recommend a bolt buffer pad its a 5.00 part that helps on mechanical wear and bolt noise. the 10/22 quickly became my favorite gun!!!!

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
great build!!!! a few months back i bought a ruger 10/22 with tapco intrafuse stock, i did similair mods and also recommend a bolt buffer pad its a 5.00 part that helps on mechanical wear and bolt noise. the 10/22 quickly became my favorite gun!!!!
Cool. I was thinking about that bolt buffer, but I'm not yet convinced I need it. Anything non-metal hitting against metal (like a bolt) would get chewed up compared to the stock metal buffer, but I don't really know so I'm just theorizing at this point.

I've seen several brands and colors. Any one you recommend?

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
Nice! I love my 10/22 Target Tactical. I bought the auto bolt release because it was such a pain before. The TT already came with an upgraded trigger and bi-pod so I put a Leupold 2-7x scope on it and called it a day.

·
Registered
895 Posts
mine is a "buffer technologies" grey polymer type and it was actually 9.49 from midwayusa, i rechecked and they are all about $10.00, the manufacturer recommends to replace after several thousand rounds however i read tons of feedback on them, the buffer technologies buffer was .50 cents cheaper and had tons of reviews with people saying they have 10,000+ rounds run on theirs and the peice has maintained its shape they just clean it when field stripping. i think the biggest factor is noise reduction, i literally swapped mine out at the range and heard the difference instantly, with ear plugs in it sounds more pnuematic staple/nail gun like and eliminated a noticeable ping/clang.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Cool. I was thinking about that bolt buffer, but I'm not yet convinced I need it. Anything non-metal hitting against metal (like a bolt) would get chewed up compared to the stock metal buffer, but I don't really know so I'm just theorizing at this point.

Take a look at the back of your bolt. It doesn't work that way.

Pretty much any of the brands work fine. I've used tuffer-buffers and they work well.

Tuffer Buffer

- Spike

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Take a look at the back of your bolt. It doesn't work that way.

Pretty much any of the brands work fine. I've used tuffer-buffers and they work well.

Tuffer Buffer

- Spike
Thanks for the link. Looks like they're selling for $7 shipped. Here goes the plastic...

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Updated with Range Trip Pics...

·
Registered
2,806 Posts

I have the VQ bolt buffer in mine... its worth the few bucks as it cuts down on vibrations through the scope. You probably want to keep an eye on that NC Star muzzle brake, mine started coming loose after several hundred rounds... the hex head of the crappy screw strips easily too, I reattached mine, but I'm probably going to get a new screw that doesnt strip out and is a little larger.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have the VQ bolt buffer in mine... its worth the few bucks as it cuts down on vibrations through the scope. You probably want to keep an eye on that NC Star muzzle brake, mine started coming loose after several hundred rounds... the hex head of the crappy screw strips easily too, I reattached mine, but I'm probably going to get a new screw that doesnt strip out and is a little larger.
Yeah, that NcStar Muzzle Brake is indeed crappy - that set screw is a POS. Mine flew out during live fire. Oh well, live and learn. I just place an order for a bolt buffer and see what happens the next time.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Yeah, that NcStar Muzzle Brake is indeed crappy - that set screw is a POS. Mine flew out during live fire. Oh well, live and learn. I just place an order for a bolt buffer and see what happens the next time.
Saw you like the CCI mini-mags:cool: Those are all I use in my 10/22 and my M&P 15-22... they have probably the best all around performance and reliability for the money IMO;)

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Saw you like the CCI mini-mags:cool: Those are all I use in my 10/22 and my M&P 15-22... they have probably the best all around performance and reliability for the money IMO;)
Yes indeed. That's my goto round for my other 22LR toys. I did read that CCI Standard Velocity and CCI Velocitor are better and I'm trying to find one locally that sells them so I can try them out. Unfortunately, can't find one in town that I know of. I may have to pony up some shipping charges and just get some, perhaps add some of those CCI 525 bulk packs.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts