Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been wanting to do some paint work on my 10/22 that I customized up... so I did a ultra flat coat of tan on the barrel over the factory stainless. Now I want to either do the receiver in flat black or the dark green that the scope rings are already painted... whats everyones thoughts on the barrel color I did and the color I should do on the receiver?

Before...

After...

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I almost missed the color. Looks good from a distance. Perhaps some up-close and personal pretty please? The green is almost subdued compared to the rest of the rifle - almost wishing it's the same color as your scope. I also think the muzzle brake could some some too - still, very nice.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I almost missed the color. Looks good from a distance. Perhaps some up-close and personal pretty please? The green is almost subdued compared to the rest of the rifle - almost wishing it's the same color as your scope. I also think the muzzle brake could some some too - still, very nice.
You're saying the OD green of the scope for the receiver? I hadnt though about painting the muzzle brake, it blends the front sight in being black, otherwise the sight would stand out like a sore thumb lol. What parts were you wanting to see close up... its hard to get a long rifle in a close up if you want to show the whole thing;)

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Oh, just enough to see the detail on that finish, particularly how the paint would look with a stainless base, perhaps that part where the barrel meets the receiver with some wood.

About the muzzle brake, I now see you've got a theme going there (with the scope black/OD green motif).

I'm going to stop now as I'm beginning to sounds like a home decorator :)

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh, just enough to see the detail on that finish, particularly how the paint would look with a stainless base, perhaps that part where the barrel meets the receiver with some wood.

About the muzzle brake, I now see you've got a theme going there (with the scope black/OD green motif).

I'm going to stop now as I'm beginning to sounds like a home decorator :)
I left the receiver on when I painted the barrel and taped it up (I'm lazy lol) so the edge right next to the receiver needs touched up because some of the paint was blocked from the barrel, otherwise the finish is really nice:cool:

Yeah, I like the OD colors / black motif look... I just cant decide on the receiver yet:???:

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Ok, I'm not helping myself. I'm diggin' that scope color even more. The scope rings, not so much. The barrel color looks too light for me, as my attention keeps getting drawn to the scope. Perhaps the camera lighting has something to do with it.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, I'm not helping myself. I'm diggin' that scope color even more. The scope rings, not so much. The barrel color looks too light for me, as my attention keeps getting drawn to the scope. Perhaps the camera lighting has something to do with it.
Its not anywhere as light as the pics look, the flash is making it appear brighter and washed out. The green on the rings was supposed to be a flatter paint than what it came out to be... its too glossy, I may redo them, actually I may repaint the rings the same color as the barrel and ditch the dark green altogether;) The scope color came out really nice, I may have to think about doing the receiver with that as well...

·
Registered
895 Posts
paint the receiver black it'll tie in the muzzle break nicely along with the scope knobs and the dark markigs running thru your woodgrain, i love black and OD green.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
paint the receiver black it'll tie in the muzzle break nicely along with the scope knobs and the dark markigs running thru your woodgrain, i love black and OD green.
Yeah, I'm leaning towards doing that... I'm stuck between doing the receiver in the OD green of the scope itself, or black... I think I'll redo the rings the same color as the barrel and get rid of the dark green though after taking a good look at how it ties in.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Yeah, I'm leaning towards doing that... I'm stuck between doing the receiver in the OD green of the scope itself, or black... I think I'll redo the rings the same color as the barrel and get rid of the dark green though after taking a good look at how it ties in.
good idea, i didn't want to critique your work because 'to each his own' but the green on the rings doesn't flow right.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
I like it simple, KISS.
I'd paint the receiver, rings-n-scope to match the barrel.
Or
Paint the receiver, rings and barrel to match the scope.

But if ya really want the two tone.
I'd paint the rings & receiver black and paint the bolt handle, trigger and barrel to match the green of the scope.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I like it simple, KISS.
I'd paint the receiver, rings-n-scope to match the barrel.
Or
Paint the receiver, rings and barrel to match the scope.

But if ya really want the two tone.
I'd paint the rings & receiver black and paint the bolt handle, trigger and barrel to match the green of the scope.
I thought about doing the bolt handle, but I wasnt sure how well the paint would hold up with that kind of use... all the hand sweat, dirt, and oils along with it being part of the action might wear the paint off:-?

I hadnt though about doing the trigger... I'll have to give that some thought, thanks for the ideas:cool:

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
If ya were willing to spend a few bucks, I'd recommend having it either professionally Duracoated or powder coated for max wear resistance.

But, if you take the time to prep, prime, paint and cure properly, there shouldn't be any problems with normal use for quite some time.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If ya were willing to spend a few bucks, I'd recommend having it either professionally Duracoated or powder coated for max wear resistance.

But, if you take the time to prep, prime, paint and cure properly, there shouldn't be any problems with normal use for quite some time.
If I was going to spend any $$ on the bolt handle I would just get an aftermarket one that was a little longer and possibly already a color I wanted... then just save the original for a spare... thats actually probably what I will end up doing as the "curved" shape of the stock one doesnt work great with sweaty/oily hands. I'll have to see how much they cost though, some things just arent worth an arm and a leg lol;)

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update... finished painting the receiver and rings today, heres the befores and afters again, any thoughts and comments are welcome:D:cool:

Way Before...

Before Paint...

After Some Paint...

Finished (for now)...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts