Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anybody used Truck bed rubberizing coating to do their rifle stock in? I don't expect there would be any problem using it, though I can find very little on Google, and nothing here so far.. Let me know if you have any suggestions or experience using truck bed coating to coat your rifle stock.

The stock I am doing is the Factory 10/22 Carbine stock..

Thank you...

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
ive used teh non ruber stuff on a gun stock of mine. it was synthetic so it had some trouble with chipping. the rubber stuff i have used on other objects and it is pretty soft and i dont think it would hold up.

is your stock wood?

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
here are some pics of it. i covered it with a black epoxy paint to help the durability of it and it seemed to help

it should work a lot better on wood. i had to rough it up a LOT to get it to stick

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes The stock I am using is wood. All the experience I have had using the rubberizing bed liner, tells me at least from over spray experience that it does not have a difficulty bonding to wood. Lets just say, I couldn't get the over spray off, without damaging the wood it was on. The clear coat has been removed, and the wood is roughly sanded to give the product something to bond to.. I think I am going to try just for chits and giggles, I know I can pick up another stock 10/22 stock pretty cheap if it does not give the desired affect..

What have you used the rubberized stuff on?
What type of liner did you use?
How is the finish holding up for you?

Thanks for the pic's Sourpatch, it is appreciated..

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
well back when i was teaching myself how to weld i started makeing boxes out of steel, i used the ruber stuff to line the inside of the boxes it worked it stuck to the steel just find it just could be easily damaged with a hard or sharp object.
i never tried it on wood though.

i think the ruber stuff would do better at adhearing then the hard stuff i used.

i think it should be fine but be sure to keep us posted.

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
oh so far the finish is holding up great i have one little chip from when my rifle fell and hit something hard. overall im happy with it.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the heads up, it is noted, I will report back to this thread and let you know how it worked out..

Again thank you for your assistance.. :D

·
Banned
38,920 Posts
Go for it ... Hit up Autozone and buy a can of the DIY stuff and just use a brush to cover the stock ... Forget about spraying it on, the mess is not worth the hassle. Tape off the areas where you need a wood to metal fit. and go for it.

Attach your stock to something solid that will allow you to coat the whole thing ... Then give it 4-6 hours, or overnight, to setup and then set it aside for about a week to cure up well.

If you'd have done this in August ... It would be ready to reassemble in 2 - 4 hours ... This time of year, it will be solid enough to reassemble in a day, but you won't want to use it for about a week, as it does take longer for the chemicals to cook out when it is cold..

FWIW:
I've got a bass guitar cabinet that was covered with the stuff, and know others who take their cabinets on the road all the time ... It holds up really well and has a great surface texture.

OH, and the stuff sticks to sanded wood like epoxy sticks to wood.
If you decide you don't like it, prepare to do a lot of scraping, because it will clog up sandpaper faster than wet paint.

·
Registered
29,765 Posts
While I am all in favor of DIY projects...

You can pick up a Hogue overmolded 10/22 stock for around $75...may save a lot of hassle.

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
yea i let mine dry for about a week before i even attempted to touch it.

·
Banned
38,920 Posts
yea i let mine dry for about a week before i even attempted to touch it.
I think I might just learn to hate this thread ... Because it's a really easy thing to do, and I am now thinking of doing this to my Marlin 60

I guess I can always blame AZXD40 :D ... I had never thought of truckbed liner on a gun ... But the stuff feels real good on my bass cabinet and provides one heck of a durable finish and a great non-slip surface.

Actually sourpatch, my cabinet has a much rougher surface then your picture indicates ... I wonder if it was the brand, the temperature, the thinkness of the coating, or something else that caused this ... Because I've got almost a stipple effect on that cabinet.

ETA:
Did you spray your finish, because I brushed mine and it's visibly much rougher.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I went ahead and did it with some Duplicolor bed liner Spray. I used a spray to get the consistent texture. I looks great, feels great, and was very easy to do. I did let it Cure almost 24hrs (in an extra closet so the environment was pretty dry) before I reassembled . I only used 3 light coats during one application period. I am planning on doing another series of Coats the next time I break her down for cleaning. Not sure it need it though. I was concerned about it being to soft to hold up to the riggers but have found this stuff is pretty durable on a rifle stock. as well as a bit of Taticool...

just a shot to show the texture.

I have an Heavy barreled 10/22 with a overmolded, I was just looking for something cheap, and easy, using the factory stock. I would recommend doing this, to anybody looking for a cheap easy refinish for their abused stock.. Just sand it down real well, spray and wait.... I think I paid $9 for the can of spray liner.

Thanks for all of the suggestions! It is appreciated.. :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts