Springfield XD Forum banner

Rubber or Sandpaper decal grips?

10K views 22 replies 20 participants last post by  IdahoHk416 
#1 ·
I've been looking at both styles. I find the stock XD grip a little too slick when I get sweaty palms. (no rude comments, please :shock: )

I'm leaning towards the rubber style, but I'm wondering if they get 'gummy' after awhile. What are you guys using that have gone with something like this?

Mysteriouso out

#2 ·
I have and love the Trugrips that I bought from Old School over at Pistol Gear. They are a sandpaper type grip, I've started to use my 40 Tact in USPSA/IPSC events and always get a good grip on the gun wet, dry, or otherwise.

Trugrip at Pistol Gear

#5 ·
i have to admint...

i have always negatively looked down upon rubber grips with finger groves. i always thought they were ugly and unecessary, and have often thought to myself "those are just for people who want their guns to look cool you dont need them, they dont do anything."

but alas.... i shot an xd with slip on rubber grips w/ ringer groves and changed my mind. i really like them(slip ons), they stabalize the gun a lot. in fact i liked them so much that after shooting an XD with them i went and bought my own.

i have hogues on right now and a pakmyer(however you spell it) in the mail. i should get it in a few days. i will let you know which one i like best.

#7 ·
No, no. AHAHAHA, rubber cement is not model glue. its the stuff that comes in a jar with a brush in the cap. You know, its the stuff you used to make fake boogers as a kid- maybe that was just me!

Anyway its a very mild adhesive and it just peels off- so if i want to lose the grip i dont have any glue left over.

#8 ·
My experience -

Slip-on rubber like Hogue or Pachmayr are good for people with larger hands. It is my opinion that they make the grip too large for small or medium size hands.

I keep the Hogue on my Ruger P95, because it feels very bad without it. However a Hogue or Pachmayr doesn't do much for the XD40 grip because it is already a very good design. (I have tried both on the XD40.)

In the end, it probably boils down to personal preference more than anything.

The beauty of all of these grip enhancers is that they are relatively inexpensive. Next stop for me: Try something like Agrip or Trugrip.

#11 ·
I have the sandpaper grips and they're awesome. The grip is very solid and comfortable (sweaty or dry)

The only problem I have is I have to wear an undershirt now when I CCW.. that sandpaper hurts :wink:
Once I put my sandpaper grips on and tried it in my supertuck, 2 things happened - it hurt, and I scuffed the sh*t out of my new holster :( Solution: I removed the grip on the left side of the pistol, so it's smooth against my back, and grippy against my palm Works beautifully.

#12 ·
Same here, I eventually had a brain drizzle and removed the grip on my body side, left the palm side. No more abrasion.

I suppose I could just lose some weight, but I have a White Castle addiction.

Mark H.

#15 ·
I've been wanting skateboard tape... but I can't find any anywhere. I have no skateboard shops in the area so... maybe during Thanksgiving weekend when I'm in a big city visiting family.

#16 ·
I am looking to purchase the RED Sand Grips from PRP since they have discontinued them. I need the for the XDm 5.25 and can't find them anywhere...I have them on my 3.8 and love them and would like to make the guns match

#17 ·
I'm a really big fan of Talon Grips for my XD .40 Service model. You can get them in either sandpaper or rubber, they are very tough and they are really easy to put on. The rubber ones don't get gummy at all. The only reason I would swing one way or another on the two grips would be if I was using a pistol for IWB or pocket carry, and in those cases I would choose the rubber grips just because they wouldn't tear up my pocket or skin. But I have been very happy with both. If you just Google talon gun grips it should be the first link to click on.

#18 ·
I've shot with both. I now have a Hogue on mine.

I hated the stock grip on my xd and pretty much every semi auto out there. That Hogue grip sure makes a big difference. Besides more ammo it is honestly the best $10 I have ever spent when modding a gun.

The sandpaper type grips are good too. Adds grip without changing the shape of the grip much. Just be warned if you are going to be in and out of the holster allot at the range, then be prepared for pain, discomfort, and blood. At my 2 day CCW class everyone that had sandpaper style grips was wrapping their hands in tape by the end of the first day.

#21 ·
Get a new 2 1/2" wide bicycle inter tube and cut the width to fit with a pair of scissors. They will fit a number of different frames and you can make your own design. They are:
1. Cheap
2. Durable
3. Make 10-15 pair for free.
4. Water resistant.
5. Not slick or rough
6. Smooth
7. Slides on easier with a little dish soap
8. Guaranteed 100% rubber.
8 Original

#23 ·
Personally, I like the black rubber Talon grips. I have them on my XDm .45 and my XDs .45, and have one ordered for my new XDm 9mm. They feel great in the hand, and give you extra grip without being abrasive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.