Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
sweet! Form and function are perfect. It has a little weight to it but not that bad. Construction is SOLID and it will bolt up very easily. RRA does not show a very good picture at their website. The non railed area is an oval shape that really fits the palm.

The paint sucks. :(

Other than Duracoat has anyone just cleaned up an aluminum hand guard and shot it with retail store rattle can paint to match?

If so which paint?

This shows the rear of the tube

Much better paint!

The Krylon Flat looks very close to the coating on my AR.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Brownell's Aluma-Hyde II (sp?) is great stuff. The flat or matte black works very well on AR-related parts/accessories. Holds up very well, is near impervious to gun oil/solvent, and is fairly cheap at only $12/can which goes a loooong way. I used it to refinish an old RRA free-float tube (standard tube that comes on the Varmint uppers) that was scratched all to heck when I picked it up used from a buddy of mine.

I would certainly buy it again!!

Post up some pics when you get time!!

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
ive used car paint on a gunstock before and it worked great. most other paints will not like the solvents, solvents tend to eat the other paints.

so if it were me i would get it blasted and then take it to get it painted at an autobody shop. or if you have the tools do it yourself.

i did the rattle can kind of car paint and it worked, its pretty durable also.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Powder coating wouldn't be a bad idea. Just stay away from the bolt holes, etc with the powder.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Krylon ultra flat black has orked very well for me. Had to use it on my FAL handguards were I couldnt Moly-Resin. It is kinda red-neckesque, but I have also used JB weld on firearms.

·
Premium Member
7,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Krylon ultra flat black has orked very well for me. Had to use it on my FAL handguards were I couldnt Moly-Resin. It is kinda red-neckesque, but I have also used JB weld on firearms.
Krylon paint? Did you get this at an auto store?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,187 Posts
How much does that hand guard weigh? I have one on my RRA and like it but the gun is front heavy.

·
Registered
359 Posts
How much does that hand guard weigh? I have one on my RRA and like it but the gun is front heavy.
Pretty much any aluminum handguard/rail system is going to make the weapon front-heavy. It's the nature of the beast.

It's always surprising, after carrying a railed system around for a while, to shoulder a standard weapon, with plastic guards. The rifle feels like half the weight, even though its just a few oz difference, because the rifle is more balanced. The issue is exacerbated if you have a particularly light stock...

·
Premium Member
7,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Paint worked awesome. I will get some pics up.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Semi-flat 'BBQ Black' is amazing bang for the $.

·
Premium Member
1,222 Posts
sweet! Form and function are perfect. It has a little weight to it but not that bad. Construction is SOLID and it will bolt up very easily. RRA does not show a very good picture at their website. The non railed area is an oval shape that really fits the palm.

The paint sucks. :(

Other than Duracoat has anyone just cleaned up an aluminum hand guard and shot it with retail store rattle can paint to match?

If so which paint?

I want one of those so bad

·
Premium Member
7,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
:mrgreen:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts