Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a Rock River Arms mid-length upper (chromed lined) a few years back before I knew much about brands/standards and the like. I later learned how RRA didn't really follow many standards. Being that most were related to the bolt/carrier, I bought a BCM bolt/carrier group and have been happy with it.

Lately, I've been thinking of how important the barrel is and knowing how the RRA barrel isn't a 1/7 twist, isn't MPI/HPT, and the feedramp isn't as a good as a BCM ramp, I've been considering getting a BCM upper. The thing is, I don't want to spend money for something that is mostly irrelevant. I see it similar to the Kahr PM9 - CM9 thing where, IMHO, there isn't sufficient reason to go with the more expensive PM9 so I went with the CM9.

So my question is, do you consider the differences between the RRA upper and the BCM upper enough to purchase a BCM upper?

RRA:
Rock River Arms: Mid-Length Upper Half

BCM:
BCM BFH 16" Mid Length Upper Receiver Group

Thanks.

·
Registered
29,731 Posts
If it bothers you, it's worth it.

This is a subjective thing; to some, it's worth it--and I would count myself among those folks. Others like to call names and tell you that you don't need that stuff unless you're a HS/LD operator...and I think those folks suffer from a cranial-rectal inversion. There's nothing wrong with having a rifle overbuilt for what you use it for.

One benefit of the BCM CHF (or most CHF) barrels is that they tend--tend!--to last longer before losing accuracy. However, this means literally tens of thousands of rounds...

So--if it were me, I'd do it.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Both will give you excellent service. Buy what you are most comfortable with.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Really the bbl. twist is intended use specific. The 1/ 7 will handle the heavier bullets better and the slower 1/9 twist is good for most BUT the heaviest rounds. It will be better at stabilizing light varmint rounds than the 1/7. Rate of twist is definitely not a one size fits all thing.

RRA makes a decent gun, BCM makes a better (arguably) mil spec weapon. I agree with others that you should get what YOU WANT if it also fits what YOU NEED. The bbl. is a good example of that.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dang, I was hoping someone would come back with RRA sucks and you need to get rid of it. :D I know BCM is better and I'm trying to justify a need for it. I'm aware of the twist rate and want to say (off the top of my head) that a 1/9 twist is good up to 69gr (there-abouts), but I'd have to look it up. I handload 55gr so the 1/9 is fine.

I guess it'll be one of those "Just Do It" occasions. Maybe I'll just go with a 20" barrel just to go with something different. Greater effective range, heavier bullet, etc.

Thanks for all the responses.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Dang, I was hoping someone would come back with RRA sucks and you need to get rid of it. :D I know BCM is better and I'm trying to justify a need for it. I'm aware of the twist rate and want to say (off the top of my head) that a 1/9 twist is good up to 69gr (there-abouts), but I'd have to look it up. I handload 55gr so the 1/9 is fine.

I guess it'll be one of those "Just Do It" occasions. Maybe I'll just go with a 20" barrel just to go with something different. Greater effective range, heavier bullet, etc.

Thanks for all the responses.
OK, I'll oblige you! Get a grip , MAN!!!!! Check "The Chart";)

"RRA sucks and you need to get rid of it. :D"

Now , go and spend your money and get that BCM!:p

·
Registered
8,351 Posts
I dont mean to confuse you more but might want to throw spikes tactical in the mix. They have very good prices and are BCM quality. I would go for BCM over RRA though.

·
Registered
780 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,363 Posts
take a look at palmetto state armory, they are putting out some attractive specs and pricing. $500 for an upper with hammer forged 1/7 chrome lined barrel from FN, HP/MPI bolts too.

·
Registered
8,351 Posts
Because stag are soso guns. I think rra has more consistancy and bcm is just better.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,682 Posts
Unless you're contemplating applying for membership in the Internet Rambolistas Wannabe club, then you'll find that your RRA will do everything you'd ever want it to do. You wasted money changing out the bolt and carrier.

I have both. Can't tell the difference, except when posting on forums like this! :cool::rolleyes:

·
Registered
216 Posts
Unless you're contemplating applying for membership in the Internet Rambolistas Wannabe club, then you'll find that your RRA will do everything you'd ever want it to do. You wasted money changing out the bolt and carrier.

I have both. Can't tell the difference, except when posting on forums like this! :cool::rolleyes:
What he said.

I've been very happy with my RRA and had no problems at all. I doubt I'll every fire "tens of thousands" of rounds through it so I'm not worried about it wearing out. it is setup the way I like it (though I'm not completely happy with the one point sling) and I don't see any reason to replace it.

If you are happy with your RRA then save money and stick with it until it wears out.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
I own a RRA mid-length chrome-lined AR-15, and I love it. It's trigger is beautifully sweet compared to most other AR's (many people say) and worlds above the mushy trigger on a Bushmaster (my own experience).

That said, when I get my second AR-15, I'm going with a BCM. I want to get the best-quality lower I can afford, because I plan to pay the $200 tax stamp and SBR it. When going to that trouble, might as well do it on a top-notch gun, right?

I'm also getting into reloading, so I want to experiment with heavier bullet weights.

If you want a second AR-15, get the BCM. Otherwise, the RRA rifle will serve you just as well.

·
Registered
17,756 Posts
BCM... Go for a change see how you like it! But I have nothing against RRA.
I'm extremely happy with my BCM upper though!
I went with this one. BCM SS410™ 16" Mid Length Upper Receiver Group 1/8 Twist (Ionbond BLACK)
They do offer the SS410 upper for the same price as the CHF if you get it in bead blasted stainless. BCM SS410™ 16" Mid Length Upper Receiver Group 1/8 Twist
The big differences other then the barrel its self is twist rate and chambering...
Good luck with your decision. :D
Sweet...1/8" I have found that is probably the most "GP" and can shoot ALL rounds, jack of all trades, master of none. My brother can stack 3, 55 grain, 62, and 75 grain rounds under a dime at 100 yards out of his Bushmaster...and its a 1/8...

·
Registered
839 Posts
A.) I don't feel there is a "correct" twist for an AR. 1:7, 1:8, 1:9...they will all serve you superbly. Me personally, I went with a 1:9 because 62gr self defense ammo is easy to find and 55gr plinking stuff is everywhere. The 1:9 will work well with both of them so I chose that.

B.) (not that I feel the OP was asking this) I would never sell a RRA just to pick up a BCM. Given the choice between the two, I'd go with BCM but my RRA has served me fine and I find no reason to shed it. If that stupid gas key staking bothers some guys so much...they can either "fix" it or get another bolt carrier group. Problem solved. Besides that...the rest of my AR is well made...

I don't personally know anyone with a BCM rifle but I've yet to read anything bad about them. In my personal life nearly everyone I know with an AR has a RRA (figuring they're made just a few hours north of us) and not a single one has had any problems with them...not one. Take that as you will...

·
Registered
57 Posts
I currently carry a RRA LAR-15 as my patrol rifle. During my military service, I have carried and fired the M-16A1, A2, and M-4. The RRA trigger that comes stock is top-notch, the nicest shooting AR I have ever shot. Most of the guys that I work with, bought and carry RRA as our patrol rifles. I purchased my rifle in 2008 and have fired regularly at our open ranges. I just requalified with it after a one-year deployment. While I was gone, it sat in my gun safe. I took it out of my safe and to the range and fired it dry- no lube on it since I last oiled it before I left in May 2010. Not a single malfunction. I don't use any fancy cleaners/oils during cleaning, just CLP. I have been using CLP since I first joined the military in 1992 and it works just fine. I love my RRA. I am collecting the parts to build an M-16A2 clone and am going to use a RRA lower, I would use a RRA upper, but I have a stripped Bushmaster A2 upper for dirt cheap.

·
Banned
82 Posts
I've got both and my RRA is more accurate and just as dependable........

1 - 19 of 19 Posts