Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys quick one for ya... I'm in the process of building my RRA upper and I'm kinda torn on a barrel, either way I'm going with a 16" chrome lined barrel but should I go light weight or get a heavy?? I want the option for CQ and LR but would the heavy barrel be to heavy to carry for an extended period of time for CQ comp.... Thanks for any advice

Mike

·
Premium Member
1,815 Posts
I'm pretty sure my Entry Tach. has a CAR light weight R4 profile with 1:9 twist

on a 16" I can't imagine that the h bar would weight that much more though

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
According to RRA's catalogue, the R-4 profile lightweight barrel is advertised to be .5 -.8 lbs lighter than the heavy barrel counterparts. I think the range is specified to differentiate between the CAR and Mid-Length barrels.

·
Registered
791 Posts
i wanna say my RRA LAR15 has a HBAR but im not sure...i have used it for short and long shots against small game and its performed pretty good. but i have never really thought about the weight while shooting and im no body builder, i dont think the H bar would be that much of a bother...you saying CQC means you would be carrying in the ready position right? just invest in some good fore grips. id say go heavy due to durability and performance...

·
Registered
839 Posts
Personally, I like a heavier barrel...I've always been taught that a stiffer (stronger, thicker, whatever) barrel = better accuracy...

I have their "entry tactical" model and it came with the 16" CAR heavy barrel.

(4th row down in picture)
Rock River Arms: 7 / 10.5 / 14.5 / 16 / 20 Inch Chrome Moly Barrels

The gun has some heft to it but nothing insane. I need to weigh mine now that I have added some stuff to it and see what it comes in as. I did put a lightweight Midwest industries quad rail and front grip on it to help move it around as well.

I REALLY do not like the "R-4" profile barrel...having a giant notch out of a barrel thus creating a flex point does not seem good to me (by flex I mean flexing while shooting...not flexing as in it breaking or bending). I will not a grenade launcher anytime soon...I don't need that notch.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well thanks for the input guys honestly helped alot... Just ordered the 16" heavy barrel Chromed lined

1 - 6 of 6 Posts