Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

First time poster, long-time XD40 subcompact owner (well, not THAT long, just since August 2010).

Long story short, I received my XD40sc as a gift in August, 2010. It was originally purchased by my late father in law in 2007. He put 1000 rounds through it, and I've since put about 400-500 through it. When I received it, it showed considerable holster wear on the muzzle end of the slide, and some lighter wear/polishing on the slide-frame contact points and the feed ramp, but otherwise it's in good working condition.

I'm just curious about any routine maintenance I should be performing on the weapon. My 'maintenance' right now consists of field-stripping the gun after each range visit, cleaning the barrel and bore, slide, and frame with Hoppes #9, then lubricating with CLP. I'm not here to debate either of those products. Both are readily available to me, well priced, and do the job. I am wondering, however, if there's anything I am missing, for example parts replacements. Do I need to worry about replacing any springs, pins, etc, and if so which ones and how often? Does anyone have any experience in this area?

I greatly appreciate your comments, and am excited to become a part of an XD forum!

XD40CO:cool:

·
Registered
527 Posts
at 1300 rounds you should still be running strong. Might want to replace the pins at 3000 just be safe, but will shoot several several thousand without any replacement parts.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey biggie,

Thanks! How would one go about replacing the pins?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Im looking for this information as well, as I am going to be making my purchase in a little over 2 weeks....
*noob question* What is Field Stripping? I don't know anything about cleaning a weapon yet.. thats actually my topic for study today!!

·
Registered
6,098 Posts
Im looking for this information as well, as I am going to be making my purchase in a little over 2 weeks....
*noob question* What is Field Stripping? I don't know anything about cleaning a weapon yet.. thats actually my topic for study today!!
field stripping is just a basic take down of the gun to get at the main parts (slide, barrel, guide rod etc) for cleaning and general maintenance. if youre looking to buy an xd or xdm youre not gonna find too many pistols with easier take down for field stripping and when you get one there will be explanations of how to do it in your manual as well as all over here and other places on the internet. theres also detail stripping which is a much more involved disassembly of the gun.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Check your Private Messages, dude. Sent you some info, including a detailed YouTube video on how to do it.

·
Registered
11,292 Posts
if youre looking to buy an xd or xdm youre not gonna find too many pistols with easier take down for field stripping .
Other than a Glock. ;)

G

·
Hey guys,

First time poster, long-time XD40 subcompact owner (well, not THAT long, just since August 2010).

Long story short, I received my XD40sc as a gift in August, 2010. It was originally purchased by my late father in law in 2007. He put 1000 rounds through it, and I've since put about 400-500 through it. When I received it, it showed considerable holster wear on the muzzle end of the slide, and some lighter wear/polishing on the slide-frame contact points and the feed ramp, but otherwise it's in good working condition.

I'm just curious about any routine maintenance I should be performing on the weapon. My 'maintenance' right now consists of field-stripping the gun after each range visit, cleaning the barrel and bore, slide, and frame with Hoppes #9, then lubricating with CLP. I'm not here to debate either of those products. Both are readily available to me, well priced, and do the job. I am wondering, however, if there's anything I am missing, for example parts replacements. Do I need to worry about replacing any springs, pins, etc, and if so which ones and how often? Does anyone have any experience in this area?

I greatly appreciate your comments, and am excited to become a part of an XD forum!

XD40CO:cool:
You're doing pretty good. If anything you're overdoing it. An XD will run great cleaning it every 5-10 range trips and probably even beyond that for most folks. But I know some people like a clean gun. I'm about halfway in between myself. If you dry fire a lot, get a couple of of the roll pins that hold the striker in to keep as spares as they can eventually break. They're very cheap and pretty easy to replace with a #3 (3/32") roll pin punch.

Also, an XD will run fine dry so Hoppes and CLP are just like icing on the cake. Nothing wrong with them.

·
Registered
190 Posts
at 1300 rounds you should still be running strong. Might want to replace the pins at 3000 just be safe, but will shoot several several thousand without any replacement parts.
Are you referring to the striker retainer roll pin? There is a lot of hype around it need for replacement. They do break, but not very often. If you're concerned, then replace it with the Powder River burrito roll pin. Other then that what pins are you thinking of at 1300 rounds?

You're doing pretty good. If anything you're overdoing it. An XD will run great cleaning it every 5-10 range trips and probably even beyond that for most folks. But I know some people like a clean gun. I'm about halfway in between myself. If you dry fire a lot, get a couple of of the roll pins that hold the striker in to keep as spares as they can eventually break. They're very cheap and pretty easy to replace with a #3 (3/32") roll pin punch.

Also, an XD will run fine dry so Hoppes and CLP are just like icing on the cake. Nothing wrong with them.
I think that's good advice for a range gun, but for my carry weapon, I like it clean as a whistle with rails lubed and ready for action.;)

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
The striker channel and striker should be run bone dry (or at most a "dry lube" like 100% silicone). If you put even a tiny drop there, it will mix with powder residue and form a goo sludge that can and will slow the striker. The result is light strikes to non-fire. (it's a common thing among striker fired guns, not just the XD).

After field stripping, turn the slide up-side down. Look at the part where the "firing pin" comes out of the breech face. Behind that is the striker channel. Near the front of it you will see a small square hole at the bottom. Inside the hole you will see the striker return spring. Get a can of spray cleaner (gun scrubber is one brand -- I use brake cleaner as it's often on sale for $1.75 for 16 oz and it's the same stuff) and with the little tube, spray into that hole for a couple seconds. Let it sit for 5-10 seconds, then repeat. Work the striker forward and back. You will have to push down the striker safety button to get it to go forward and expose the firing pin part. Do that several times and it will be pretty clean.

Or you can take out the striker retainer pin and the striker (and springs) and clean the channel with a q-tip. I like to do that, but it's probably getting anal.

Aside from keeping the striker free of goo and normal by the book field stripping, there is little you need to do to keep the XD happy.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Now, In my browsing I saw that before the initial fire I should clean the weapon... Would you say I should just field strip and clean it, or something more than that initially?
Im going to talk to the location I purchase from for a suggestion of products that can be use for what portion of the weapon so I have everything I need.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Usually they grease the weapon up pretty good for shipment, so I'd field strip and clean, at the least.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Im going to do that... I saw a video of how to field strip it... Now I need to find out what products you use... and on what parts.... Im still learning the technical aspects of the weapon as far as breaking it down... Its going to be easier once I have it in hand... but I'd rather know some of it now.. then have it and be trying to find out info...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts