Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many rounds have you fired since you replaced your factory retainer pin and installed PRP Striker retainer pin on your xd? Any problems so far?
Some people say that installing a stronger pin will just cause the striker to break or will enlarge the pin hole.

·
Registered
620 Posts
I must be late to the game... what is the point of replacing this? I have 2000+ rounds through my XD45 Tactical and it hasn't had any problem with factory parts breaking. I've replaced trigger control springs as well as polished my trigger group to allow for a lighter and smoother trigger (all done by yours truely). I haven't had any issues with any of the stock parts breaking.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Maybe his broke so he replaced it? I have PRP striker retainer pins on standby in case mine breaks. Of course I have over 4000 rounds through my XD9sc without a single issue from any part of the gun :)

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
I bought 4 replacement pins a year or more ago. They still live happily together in the case waiting for the original to break. Few thousand rounds and something like 5x than many dry fires WITHOUT snap caps. The original still looked fine when I pulled it a couple months ago.

A suspicion is that the factory monkey is pounding them in with too big of a sledge hammer and slightly bending them and those break. That suspicion is from having worked with trained simian piece part workers in the past that always went for the largest hammer at the earliest possible time! To them there was no problem so techincal that it couldn't be solved by hitting it harder. Well that and some break Very early -- so early that they may well have shipped broken and others like mine last and last like the energizer bunny.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I put around 500 through mine before the PRP job, and roughly 1k since. No issues either way. I had sent my xdm9c to PRP for a trigger job, and when it came back, it had their retainer pin in it (free, for that matter).

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
Adding the pin is a nice touch

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Having a spare roll pin will not solve the problem since the original pin can break anytime and would be catastrophic for us if it breaks in a self defense situation. Installing a stronger roll pin will give us peace of mind. It will enhance the reliabilty of the xd and eliminate the only issue xd has so far. Roll pins that breaks with only 150 rounds thru the gun is really a cause for concern. The only question is,will putting a stronger roll pin affect the gun in anyway.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Having a spare roll pin will not solve the problem since the original pin can break anytime and would be catastrophic for us if it breaks in a self defense situation. Installing a stronger roll pin will give us peace of mind. It will enhance the reliabilty of the xd and eliminate the only issue xd has so far. Roll pins that breaks with only 150 rounds thru the gun is really a cause for concern. The only question is,will putting a stronger roll pin affect the gun in anyway.
What if the aftermarket pin breaks? I have complete piece of mind with mine as with well over 4000 rounds, it is still going strong. However, if it gives one piece of mind, the pins are cheap insurance.

·
Registered
620 Posts
I think I've heard this quote before... "One gun means no gun, two guns means one gun". Never hurts to have a back up piece.

My factory parts have seen 2000 rounds so I'm going to call that 'reliable'. It's no harm if someone wants to change theirs, I would just recommend putting your gun back through a qualification process to ensure nothing has changed.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Put in the PRP pin before the first shot was fired from my XD40sc (along with their trigger kit) and have 5500 rounds through it so far. Not a single problem with the pin or other components. Being fairly anal, I remove the pin to disassemble the slide every appx 500 rounds to clean everything out well. The PRP pin is still in perfect condition, as is the striker and spring components, even after being romoved nine or ten times. Still tight with no deformation. It has seen about 500 dry fires also. The PRP pin is great and offers complete peace of mind for me--well worth it.

·
Banned
38,922 Posts
Pure BS ... If there was a true problem with the original, it would have been addressed via a stronger pin, at the factory.

But go ahead and replace a sacrificial item with a stronger one, and transmit the shock it absorbs into the slide ... Just don't complain if/when you one day find the hole has become elongated ;)

Also,
Unless the original were to fall out, there will be no catastrophic failure ... Ask anyone who has suffered a cracked pin about this, and they will tell you the gun still functions.

The only thing replacing this pin will do is give you piece of mind, because you think there is a problem.

+12,000 rounds and heading toward 13,000 rounds on the original pin :D

And I'm still of the opinion that some of these failures are the result of people removing the original, so they can clean the striker channel, and then putting the original back ... If removed, it should be replaced with a new one.

Oh,
And to answer your question ... ZERO rounds fired, because I haven't replaced the original.
There has been no need to do so.

But ..... If it's really a problem for you,
I'll give you $50 for the piece of junk :razz:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Put in the PRP pin before the first shot was fired from my XD40sc (along with their trigger kit) and have 5500 rounds through it so far. Not a single problem with the pin or other components. Being fairly anal, I remove the pin to disassemble the slide every appx 500 rounds to clean everything out well. The PRP pin is still in perfect condition, as is the striker and spring components, even after being romoved nine or ten times. Still tight with no deformation. It has seen about 500 dry fires also. The PRP pin is great and offers complete peace of mind for me--well worth it.
Sounds like installing the PRP retainer pin is going to work. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
538 Posts
There are many people who love the replacement, and many people who will unleash a diatribe at the mention of it. If it doesn't harm or make your gun less reliable, and gives you peace of mind, by all means do what is best for you. I have had no issues with either, and the gun will still go bang.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I only have 500 rds thru my XDM 9mm with the PRP pin, but so far no issues.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
So this whole thread got me curious as my XD9sc has over 4000 rounds through it with the stock pin. Of course I rarely dry fire unless I'm cleaning it. So I took the stock pin out to compare it to the PRP pin and yeah, the PRP looks far superior. The stock pin is one piece of cynlindrical metal while the PRP retainer pin is one piece wrapped around many times, like folding a poster. Looks alone I would give it to the PRP. My stock pin looked fine to the naked eye of course but I put the PRP in anyway. I still won't dry fire much so I don't think I'll every have an issue with the striker retainer pin now.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I think I've heard this quote before... "One gun means no gun, two guns means one gun". Never hurts to have a back up piece.

I think the original saying was "two is one, one is none" from the Navy. A very true maxim that I follow in almost all things now!

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
My opinion from looking at a few pins and reading about a lot is that the pins may in fact be getting damaged when installed. Could be the factory worker is a ham fisted gorilla and infrequently whacks them hard enough to bend them. The pin is only supported by the ends, so once it bottoms out, hitting it harder will lead to it bending. If bent, it will quickly break. If not bent, it will last a LONG time. I've put over 3000 rounds and 10,000 dry fires with no snap cap on the original pin -- it looks pristine.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
My opinion from looking at a few pins and reading about a lot is that the pins may in fact be getting damaged when installed. Could be the factory worker is a ham fisted gorilla and infrequently whacks them hard enough to bend them. The pin is only supported by the ends, so once it bottoms out, hitting it harder will lead to it bending. If bent, it will quickly break. If not bent, it will last a LONG time. I've put over 3000 rounds and 10,000 dry fires with no snap cap on the original pin -- it looks pristine.
Mine looked pristine as after 4500 rounds or so though few dry fires. Of course I put the PRP in so not sure how long it would have lasted.

·
Registered
620 Posts
I think the original saying was "two is one, one is none" from the Navy. A very true maxim that I follow in almost all things now!
Thanks for the correction. I knew the gist of the message.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts