Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
21,868 Posts
Search feature is your friend....

·
Registered
620 Posts
If you mean having a round in the chamber when the slide is back and then releasing the slide,... I wouldn't do it. The cartridge is intended to be fed from the mag into the extractor and then forward into the chamber. You might damage the extractor if you have the slide slam into a cartridge already in the chamber. I'm not saying it absolutely will damage your gun, but I wouldn't risk it. Thats probably a fair statement for most autoloading pistols.

·
Registered
538 Posts
+1 to jon. The action of dropping the slide on a round in the chamber can put undue stress on the extractor. It isn't meant to slam forward and over the lip of the cartridge. It can cause a little "half moon" marking on the extractor, and over time certainly won't be beneficial. The best way to get a true full magazine, as well as having one in the chamber is to insert your mag, rack a round into the chamber, drop the mag, and add that shell back into the magazine. Insert back into gun, and you are ready to roll at full capacity!

D

·
0 Posts
+1 to jon. The action of dropping the slide on a round in the chamber can put undue stress on the extractor. It isn't meant to slam forward and over the lip of the cartridge. It can cause a little "half moon" marking on the extractor, and over time certainly won't be beneficial. The best way to get a true full magazine, as well as having one in the chamber is to insert your mag, rack a round into the chamber, drop the mag, and add that shell back into the magazine. Insert back into gun, and you are ready to roll at full capacity!
+1, so a total of +2 here ha

Yes, I concur with this post. This is the best way to load a pistol for carry/HD/whatever.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Is there anything else that would cause this mark on the extractor? I have it on my gun but I have never released the slide with a round in the chamber.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I'm sure there is, mhen, but offhand and on vacation, I can't tell ya. I will assert that I have a slight little crescent on my xdm, and have never dropped slide on a chambered round. Don't have my piece handy, so I can't be sure.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
ok, just wanted to make sure it wasn't a sign that it was weakening. I'd rather not have that go out the one time I might need it :shock:

·
Registered
114 Posts
Not trying to be an a$$ but why would you want to do this?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you mean having a round in the chamber when the slide is back and then releasing the slide,... I wouldn't do it. The cartridge is intended to be fed from the mag into the extractor and then forward into the chamber. You might damage the extractor if you have the slide slam into a cartridge already in the chamber. I'm not saying it absolutely will damage your gun, but I wouldn't risk it. Thats probably a fair statement for most autoloading pistols.
Thanks, Jon, but what about on snap caps, releasing the slide ala sling shot when dry firing, would that be ok?TIA

·
21,868 Posts
Thanks, Jon, but what about on snap caps, releasing the slide ala sling shot when dry firing, would that be ok?TIA
I would NEVER chamber a round unless it comes from a mag. Now its iffy on whether you can fully rack a slide on a empty chamber. Me personally, I see nothing wrong with it.

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
Whether a normal round of ammo or a snapcap, closing the slide so the extractor has to jump the rim is noy a good idea. The XD uses a fixed extractor. The case rim normally slides up the breach face behind the extractor hook. Forcing the hook over the rim bends the (spring) extractor arm past design limits for bending. This can fatigue the hardened steel and lead to a weak spring action and early failures.

With a snap cap in the chamber, the slide can be opened sufficiently to set the striker without ejecting the snapcap. The extractor stays safely in place in the recess behind the case rim. Feed all caps from mag to chamber.

Some other pistol designs are such that a rim override is less damaging to the extractor. Without proper maintenance this design is a bit more apt to have a weak extraction and cause failure to cycle correctly. (As there is generally less tension holding the extractor hook against the case)

·
Registered
29,619 Posts
Load the snapcap from an otherwise empty magazine--that is, just the snapcap is loaded--no live ammo in the mag, mmmkay?;)

After dry firing, simply pull the slide back enough to reset the striker, not enough to eject the round. Dry fire. Repeat.

Slingshotting the slide would be fine, as long as the snapcap is being loaded from the magazine.

·
Banned
744 Posts

Yup just as it was expalined above. That's how I do it too although some sissy's on this board would call it dangerous, reckless and scary to carry a gun ready with one in the chamber.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Yup just as it was expalined above. That's how I do it too although some sissy's on this board would call it dangerous, reckless and scary to carry a gun ready with one in the chamber.
Personally I never saw the appeal of using my pistol as a club or paperweight. Hehe

·
Registered
744 Posts
Any time you have an internal extractor you never want to drop the slide on a chambered round. They are designed for controlled feed, and they round slides under the extractor as it leaves the magazine.

Forcing the extractor over a chambered round will snap your extractor or will bend it out of tune.

This is why external extractors are so popular these days, as well, controlled feed doesn't lend its self well to oddly shaped bullets, and more questionable quality control.

Also if you CCW, always have a round chambered. Don't make excuses for not doing it. If you don't do it, then leave your gun at home, because if you have time to rack the slide, you shouldn't be taking a shot. Also in a "crazed shooter" situation, you don't want the noise of racking the slide to draw attention to your self. And for home defense, if you need your gun up and ready ASAP, that would be the worst situation in the world to have the gun lock-up for what ever reason while racking the slide, and once again drawing attention to your position. Warning shots are for criminals and a method of intimidation, not something a responsible person defending their self would do.

·
Banned
744 Posts
Any time you have an internal extractor you never want to drop the slide on a chambered round. They are designed for controlled feed, and they round slides under the extractor as it leaves the magazine.

Forcing the extractor over a chambered round will snap your extractor or will bend it out of tune.

This is why external extractors are so popular these days, as well, controlled feed doesn't lend its self well to oddly shaped bullets, and more questionable quality control.

Also if you CCW, always have a round chambered. Don't make excuses for not doing it. If you don't do it, then leave your gun at home, because if you have time to rack the slide, you shouldn't be taking a shot. Also in a "crazed shooter" situation, you don't want the noise of racking the slide to draw attention to your self.
You said it and you said said it GREAT! You should check out my thread titled " You ask if you should carry hot or not" The thread actually got kind of hot for a little while. Very strange the way some people carry their go to gun.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
1 - 20 of 40 Posts