Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kicking around the idea of picking one of these to stash away for a few years. I've got to think comparable guns are going to be much more than the current $168 sale price in the future. It might be a good first hunting rifle for one of my girls.
Any idea on the twist rate?

·
Registered
19,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not so good for deer then. That is what I figured.

Thanks.

·
Registered
10,949 Posts
My grandfather had an old youth break barrel .223 that I learned to shoot long(ish) range with.

I think the twist was 1 in 12 or 14, so it wouldn't do anything over 55 grains. So no, not ideal for deer.

·
Registered
19,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The good news is that the price of ARs are on the way down pretty fast. It is easy to find one of those in 1-7, plus the adjustable stock will help them as they grow.

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
You guys really shoot deer with a 223?

I really think a 243 is pushing it and only for short range.

Stick with something in the 270/308/30-06 class.

-brickboy240

·
Registered
10,949 Posts

-brickboy240
I'm not a big fan of using the .223 for deer either, but it is ethical IMO with the right bullets at short range with a broadside shot.

A .243 is absolutely enough for a deer, whitetail or a mulie. A .243 is fine for antelope too.

·
Registered
10,949 Posts
223 will take a deer just fine.
I think you need to be more careful and selective of your shots with it, and you need to be able to stabilize a pretty heavy bullet.

·
Registered
29,827 Posts

-brickboy240
.223 will drop a deer just fine. Bullet selection is a bit more important than in larger calibers, and you need to be able to place it accurately...but after that, it's plenty capable.

I consider .270, .30-06 etc more necessary for elk than deer.

·
Registered
29,827 Posts
I think you need to be more careful and selective of your shots with it, and you need to be able to stabilize a pretty heavy bullet.
See my comment above regarding placement, but I'd say bullet construction is more important than weight.

I've taken deer with a 55gr TSX; my buddy swears by the 52gr TTSX.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I take them yearly on crop damage permits with my Mini 14, AR, or Remington 700 (all 223) depending on my hunt for the day. I've taken a doe at 200 yds with the 700 shooting 55 grain soft points. Not hard to tag the heart on a feeding doe with that. She never took another step.

·
Registered
19,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
not only will a 223 drop a dear, you will be left with much more deer than if you'd used a more powerful gun. Honestly I do think it is a touch light.
My co-worker is just getting over shoulder surgery and has kids getting close to hunting age. I suggested he get an AR or a 357 lever-gun. a 243 isn't a nothing round like some suggest it to be. It is a necked-down 308.

I'm planning to eventually set my 6.8 spc AR up as my primary hunting rifle.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts