Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've built more ARs then I can keep track of at this point, but I'm not perfect. I recently took my latest build to the range and once or twice per mag I would have a light primer strike. I was using a brand new BCG from BCM. I swapped in a know. Good BCG and was still having issues.

My trip was pretty much done so I decided to go home and take a look. It took me all of 5 minutes to find what I did wrong. The spring for the hammer was put in backwards. I flipped it around and all is good now. I made that mistake my very first build, but that one had 10 or so light strikes per mag. Anyway, I'm not too proud to admit when I make a stupid mistake. I will attach a couple pictures, hopefully this will help somebody that is having issues.

The first 3 pictures are incorrect orientation. The following 2 are how it should have been.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,835 Posts
I will not tell you once a guy completely took down, cleaned, re assembled, gaged, wrapped and boxed about 5 brand new M16A1 semi auto replica rifles. The UPS pickup guy comes, leaves and the guy then has a glass of iced tea to relax. Dead line made.

Then ... much to his chagrin, he finds an extra SP1 Colt small flange firing pin, ($expensive$) in the small parts tray. One of the rifles went out to a customer without a firing pin! Opps! The customer was understandably not too happy about it at the time.

Yep ... do not ask how this happened. And a BCG can be assembled and installed into a rifle ... without a firing pin. Getting that aforementioned BCG OUT OF THE BUILD without a firing pin can be a chore if the works rotates even a little bit. Auughh!

HB of CJ (old coot) (hundreds of AR15 builds and uncounted M16 rebuilds) :) :) Still here for now.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will not tell you once a guy completely took down, cleaned, re assembled, gaged, wrapped and boxed about 5 brand new M16A1 semi auto replica rifles. The UPS pickup guy comes, leaves and the guy then has a glass of iced tea to relax. Dead line made.

Then ... much to his chagrin, he finds an extra SP1 Colt small flange firing pin, ($expensive$) in the small parts tray. One of the rifles went out to a customer without a firing pin! Opps! The customer was understandably not too happy about it at the time.

Yep ... do not ask how this happened. And a BCG can be assembled and installed into a rifle ... without a firing pin. Getting that aforementioned BCG OUT OF THE BUILD without a firing pin can be a chore if the works rotates even a little bit. Auughh!

HB of CJ (old coot) (hundreds of AR15 builds and uncounted M16 rebuilds) :) :) Still here for now.
I know what you mean! Never messed up too bad with uppers, but I've bent a couple has tubes. I think it's complacency. You get so used to it that you think it is brainless. Then you stop using your brain.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good catch, my mind went to the hammer spring right when you said "light primer strikes."
I ruled it out on the range. I mean "how could I do something that simple wrong?"

·
Registered
19,987 Posts
I went out to shoot my very low round count AR the other day, and I was getting nothing but light primer strikes to the point that it wasn't firing with multiple trys with 2 different kinds of ammo. I was confused because It worked before.

Thick assembly lube that thickened up even more in the cold was the likely culprit. I still haven't had a chance to retry.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I went out to shoot my very low round count AR the other day, and I was getting nothing but light primer strikes to the point that it wasn't firing with multiple trys with 2 different kinds of ammo. I was confused because It worked before.

Thick assembly lube that thickened up even more in the cold was the likely culprit. I still haven't had a chance to retry.
Let us know if you have any issues. Typically my new BCG come with a ton on it. I haven't purchased a complete rifle in quite some time, but I imagine the lower has quite a bit hanging around also.

·
Registered
19,987 Posts
It was a PSA kit that came with an assembled upper. I assume they use the assembly lube as a glue when assembling the BCG. I was shocked by how hard it was to slide the pin when disassembling it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks a whole lot for this thread. Just got my first AR and will be doing a trigger upgrade in the next week or so and maybe it will be done correctly.

CLF

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks a whole lot for this thread. Just got my first AR and will be doing a trigger upgrade in the next week or so and maybe it will be done correctly.

CLF
Glad to give you a reference. It's a pretty simple mistake to make. The problem is, it will install and operate the hammer even if it is backwards. So you won't know it's wrong until you start getting light strikes. Happy to help!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts