Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
10mm
First off I know the Ronin is a 1911 so this will seem kind-of odd. I know capacity is half that of the XDm & the Ronin weighs 40oz, 10 more than the XDm. Both have different "tasks" if you will.

I do love my plastic fantastic guns but own a Springfield 1911 milspec & like it too.
I have read multiple articles on the Ronin but my question is kind-of an odd bird that I can't find an answer to. The Ronin is a beautiful gun & from all I've read, being forged everything, would seem to handle any & all full house, true 10mm rounds.

Given availability of both, which would you choose? Mine would be a range toy or possibly night stand.
Definitely choosing a 10mm tho.

·
Super Moderator
16,592 Posts
Well what i would choose is a double stack 1911 with 15 rounds of 10mm. And then I would remove the polymer grip and replave it with steel to make it 48 oz empty. Shoots like a boat anchor. Flippin sweet.

Look at Rock Island Armory....

Reactions: Cuda66

·
Premium Member
944 Posts
Nothing wrong with a Ronin 10 MM, and as a range gun you would love the trigger. Now at the range and you shoot five magazines, reload them, shoot them. So ten full mags and you probably are done time wise. Five mags in a XDM 10 and you have nearly the same round count in less time, shoot some more enjoy! Nightstand the XDM10 has enough to double tap seven bad guys and can use a light.

I already have the 4.5 and 5.25 XDM10's and I would like to own a Ronin too, but just one the XDM10 5.25 (It comes with three mags, better sights, the 4.5 two mags and okay sights. My wife says the 5.25 has better balance, I agree.

I like the RIA option too. Great guns

Reactions: 835mag

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
For a 10mm 1911 I would go with Nighthawk, Dan Wesson or Fusion (which is the previous owner of Dan Wesson before CZ got it).

·
Premium Member
944 Posts
For a 10mm 1911 I would go with Nighthawk, Dan Wesson or Fusion (which is the previous owner of Dan Wesson before CZ got it).
Are they all similar in cost?

·
Registered
85 Posts
My SR1911-10 has been relegated for range use only since I got my XDM-10 5.25. IMO, the 1911 platform is not well-suited for full house 10mm loads, and I won't shoot many of them any more in my 1911. Both have excellent sights, have fully supported chambers, and shoot accurately, but the XDM has a more all 'round capability with it's double payload, is built like a tank, and has a simpler manual of arms.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@sparkyv
So I figured the Ronin would be built tougher being all forged steel?
Are you saying your SR1911-10 is not tougher than your XDM?

·
Registered
297 Posts
Well what i would choose is a double stack 1911 with 15 rounds of 10mm. And then I would remove the polymer grip and replave it with steel to make it 48 oz empty. Shoots like a boat anchor. Flippin sweet.

Look at Rock Island Armory....
I have an RIA 10mm 1911 single stack heading my way in a few days. 😊

·
Registered
297 Posts
10mm
First off I know the Ronin is a 1911 so this will seem kind-of odd. I know capacity is half that of the XDm & the Ronin weighs 40oz, 10 more than the XDm. Both have different "tasks" if you will.

I do love my plastic fantastic guns but own a Springfield 1911 milspec & like it too.
I have read multiple articles on the Ronin but my question is kind-of an odd bird that I can't find an answer to. The Ronin is a beautiful gun & from all I've read, being forged everything, would seem to handle any & all full house, true 10mm rounds.

Given availability of both, which would you choose? Mine would be a range toy or possibly night stand.
I have both 10mm XDM’s and the 9mm Ronin. Although I have an RIA 10mm on the way, I still want the Ronin 10mm. Yeah, I’m addicted to the Ronin. 😃

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I chose to go with the xdm 5.2510mm. Should be here in a week. I just figured practical-wise, I would use it more often than the Ronin. I figured I would only take the Ronin out of the safe on rare occasions just because it's so nice. I just thought I would have more fun with the xdm plus the extras it comes with. Ronin only comes with 1 mag in a bag..

·
Registered
85 Posts
Well, the SR1911-10 frame is pretty strong, Nakita23 but the bbl sure didn't hold up to stout loads. I figure that Ruger tried to stuff 10mm into a firearm designed for 45ACP. Perhaps SA designed the Ronin to better handle the increased 10mm pressure. Let us know what you think about the XDM-10 5.25. I sure like mine!
@sparkyv
So I figured the Ronin would be built tougher being all forged steel?
Are you saying your SR1911-10 is not tougher than your XDM?

·
Registered
6,683 Posts
10mm

I'm sure this is irrelevant to your choice, but G20 will handle any 10 mm loads that wouldn't blow up a Ronin or aby othee pistol.

·
Premium Member
944 Posts
Like I have said I have five 10's, and the XDM10's are my most practical, I love my EAA Witness Elite Match but has a harder to use external safety (Forward of a 1911's position), it is 44 ounces empty and that is a lot to carry all day hiking, The XDM10 5.25 is 11 ounces lighter empty, and I like that I don't worry about it's finish like I seem too with the EAA The Witness is a dream to shoot all that extra weight comes in handy on a smooth hammer fired gun Still the XDM is the best combination for me, fit of the grip, balance, capacity, sights, accuracy, weight.

Reactions: sparkyv
1 - 16 of 16 Posts