Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to the local gun show Sunday. Wasn't really looking for anything in particular, just went to browse. For the past couple of times I went there, I noticed a Romanian Dragunov on a table. Looked interesting but I never really gave it more than a passing glance. So as I was getting ready to leave and passing the table, I thought........what the hell........may as well scope it out.

So.......... I ask if I can take a look at it and the guy says sure! Damn! Don't know what it is, but I really liked the looks and feel of the Dragunov. Not really a big fan of the Eastern bloc rifles, but there was something about the Dragunov.

So........when I got home I did a search on Gunbroker and also searched out articles on the Dragunov along with an ammo search to check out availability of ammo and the price of it. Surplus ammo (7.62x54R) seems inexpensive and readily available. Most of the articles I read on it said it wasn't really a true sniper rifle but was more of a sharpshooter/long range rifle with decent accuracy. I figure it is more accurate than I am. Also said they are durable. One article recommended that you fire a string of rounds and let the barrel cool or the accuracy will fall off when the barrel heats up. Also said to keep it clean and well lubed for reliability.
I don't really see purchasing one in the immediate future but it is something I would consider down the line if anyone here can give me some info on them.

Do you have one and is it durable, reliable? Would you buy one again if you had to do it over? Is it as fun to shoot as it looks like it might be?

So...............what say you?

·
Premium Member
2,583 Posts
I dont have one but they are pretty bad ass rifles. I have seen them in person at the range and they are nice. Fairly accurate, ammo is cheap, semi-auto, reliable, etc. Just a cool all around rifle.

How much were they asking for it?

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
Not to sound like a gun snob, but its not a Dragunov. Its a Romanian PSL, marketed in the US as the ROMAK 3. That being said, I own one, and its a fun shooter. I haven't had a chance to actually shoot it at distance though. :( Be careful with ammo as the more common 7.62x54R uses a heavier ball. I have experenced several popped/blown primers that have jammed up the firing pin channel. And for a lot more information, check out this great site: Dragunov dot net - Dragunov and PSL Sniper Rifle Information

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
"Romanian Dragunov" is a term used by American marketers to fool you into thinking you're buying a precision instrument when you're really buying a PSL.

The Romanian PSL is also known as "Romak-3", "FPK", "PSL-54c", "SSG-97" from many different vendors (same exact gun, though). It is nothing more than a beefed up Kalashnikov.

The only things in common between the PSL and the SVD is the caliber it uses and they both are communist designed.

·
Premium Member
9,171 Posts
its a big AK. Only use light ball ammo, and if you are gonna use surplus-use amo made after 1960, its made for shorter barrels and is more accurate with 20"-28" barrels. Nothing for the SVD, TiGR, or Dagunov will fit this rifle. it is a good gun. Expect 6-12 inch groups at 500m with this gun as the norm. Once it heats up, they will sting out to 16".

·
Registered
516 Posts
I have one and i love it. Have used many diff ammos and they all shot fine. Groups great at 300 yards. I havn't tried anything past that since i don't really have anywere to do it. Its easy to break down and clean. All in all a great rifle.

·
Premium Member
12,086 Posts
I shot one and was surprised by how small the visible area in the scope was, but I might just be spoiled by our modern hunting optics. Other than that, it was enjoyable. The action soaked up some of the recoil (more than my Mosin :D), but it still hit you pretty good. Fun guns.

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
Not to sound like a gun snob, but its not a Dragunov. Its a Romanian PSL, marketed in the US as the ROMAK 3. That being said, I own one, and its a fun shooter. I haven't had a chance to actually shoot it at distance though. :( Be careful with ammo as the more common 7.62x54R uses a heavier ball. I have experenced several popped/blown primers that have jammed up the firing pin channel. And for a lot more information, check out this great site: Dragunov dot net - Dragunov and PSL Sniper Rifle Information
Yeah. I used to be super hot for the Dragunov till I found that site lol.
I have heard that even the true Drags are only about as accurate as a good M-14.

·
Premium Member
2,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks to everyone for your replies and to the links. Got a lot of good information.

The one I looked at was the PSL. I think I will put one on my short list of future purchases. Looks like it would be a lot of fun at the range.

Thanks again for your replies!!

·
Registered
14,586 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,171 Posts
Yeah. I used to be super hot for the Dragunov till I found that site lol.
I have heard that even the true Drags are only about as accurate as a good M-14.
Because its not a sniper rifle, its a marksman rifle-up to 600m typical with some longer ranges. Much like the vaunted Remington 700. The dedicated 'sniper' rifle was a bolt gun. Its sold commercially as the 'Los' and the 'BARS' from the Russian American Armory.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
If you're shooting 7.62 x 54R out of something other than a Mosin Nagant, there's something wrong with you. Buckle up and go for the ride, my friend, it is a treat.

·
Premium Member
9,171 Posts
If you're shooting 7.62 x 54R out of something other than a Mosin Nagant, there's something wrong with you. Buckle up and go for the ride, my friend, it is a treat.
??? i have an SVT, an SVD, a TiGR, and a PKM...as well as many Mosins. All chambered in x54R. I'm still after one of these...
A Winchester M95 'Russian Musket'

1 - 16 of 16 Posts