Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to remove the backstrap that came on my gun and try the other sizes (and check if the frame is cracked as well although I'm not really worried about that). I think that I read that one should use a 3/32'' roll pin punch to do this, but the author of this information wasn't sure.

What size roll pin punch or flat head punch has everyone been using to do this? I don't have one at home, and I want to make sure I'll order the right tool for the job. Thanks!;-)

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's a 3/32 Pin punch. I am sure! Make sure you drive pin straight through. Careful driving back in too. Be SURE backstrap is fluch and you can see through the holes all the way before re-installing.
Thank you XDfan4ever. I'll order it today. BTW, I like your signature. I didn't copy you, I swear! :shock:

·
Registered
291 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Got mine out. Advice for those who do the same....rub the pin with a bit of lube before replacing it. I think it might make it easier to get out next time, but still holds it plenty tight!

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
A flat pin punch will work , however a true 3/32 roll pin punch which has a small bump on the middle will help keep you perfectly centered on the pin as not to spread it out or damage it during removal & installation. Usually this is something that is only removed once or twice until you find the backstarp that really fits the best. What a great idea by SA and what a gun!!

·
Registered
291 Posts
Any "Cracks"? I haven't seen any myself.
A flat pin punch will work , however a true 3/32 roll pin punch which has a small bump on the middle will help keep you perfectly centered on the pin as not to spread it out or damage it during removal & installation. Usually this is something that is only removed once or twice until you find the backstarp that really fits the best. What a great idea by SA and what a gun!!

I looked but had a hard time finding one like this. The upside is that the hole in the backstrap itself is barely big enough for the punch, so there isn't alot of room for it to move off center.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.