Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What role do you see the XDm playing in the family of XD's? I'm trying to justify a potential purchase.

Opinions are appreciated.

Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
6,603 Posts
Target practice.

Match barrel, tighter tolerances... definitely a range gun. Competitions, sure, but not duty/carry.

(Flame away. :mrgreen:)

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you believe that is the case, do you think the XDm, in its current form, is slated to replace the XD Tactical or which XD pistol?

·
Super Moderator
8,970 Posts
If you believe that is the case, do you think the XDm, in its current form, is slated to replace the XD Tactical or which XD pistol?
I think the the an XDm version will be released, like the XDSC. I think the Tactical will go away, so too the Service. The XDm is a tweener size, to replace both. That 1/2" is no loss either way.

OS

·
Registered
135 Posts
I don't buy the competition-gun label for the XD(M). It's the next generation XD and once this line stabilizes the original XDs will be put out to pasture. Whatever role the original XD line was intended for, so it is for the XD(M). The XD in XD(M) still stands for eXtreme Duty. Adding a match barrel doesn't all of a sudden change a duty weapon to one that's acceptable only for target practice and matches. I intend on carrying mine once my CHP is approved (in 94 days or less).

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
They aren't going to phase out the other XD's, this has been discussed in every forum on here. The XDm is going to compliment. And why not for duty?

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I have to say I dont see the xdm ever fully replacing the current xd, not unless they can significantly lower the cost on them.

I think the fact that xd's are relativly inexpensive (compared to h&k's, sigs etc.) is one of the factors that make xds so attractive to many buyers. And what I generally find is that xdm's are about $100 more than a standard xd (about $600-650 from what I've seen). Even though I hear that the extra money is worth it, that still goes along way toward negating that price advantage.

Just a thought

·
Registered
708 Posts
They aren't going to phase out the other XD's, this has been discussed in every forum on here. The XDm is going to compliment. And why not for duty?
I second that! As said by another poster, the XD-M is STILL an "XD" (Extreme Duty) So, that said, and as an owner of an XD-M, I see no reason why it can't be a duty pistol. In fact, a damn good one! Shot Placement! The XD-M is a very accurate pistol! :cool:

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
I think its targeted at the law enforcement market: 40 S&W, intermediate length barrel, high capacity magazine, idiot-proof takedown, etc...

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
I would consider the XDm to be targeted at the Service Pistol niche, with it's application as a match gun being a near second. Sizewise, it's very close to the S & W M&P duty pistol, carries the same cartidge, with the benefit of a larger capacity. Once the cops discover how easy it is to shoot well they will probably eat them up. Basically, it's an improved version of the XD.

I purchased mine with the intention of trying my hand at IDPA match shooting. Last weekend I went through 150 rounds practicing failure drills and, once I switched to my most reliable magazine, it ran flawlessly. Towards the end of my time, I shot 10 rounds offhand in slow fire into the target at 35 feet and produced what would have been a 2 inch pattern if it weren't for that one damn flyer. So, in my opinion, it's darned accurate.

So, currently we have a pistol that is well suited as a duty carry, a match gun for the production classes, or a great home defense weapon. I expect that we will see the range broaden over the next 3 or 4 years until the XD is phased out completely. After the 9mm is out, I expect that the next version we will see is one for the 45 ACP. After that they will probably release a compact with a barrel length around 3.5 inches and then a sub contact with a 3 inch barrel. One we could wish for would be a single stack sub-compact in 9mm or 40 caliber, sort of a low cost striker fired EMP, however I don't expect that will happen.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I figured since its my first pistol and I will probibly keep it for a LONG time that I might as well spend the extra 100$ over a standard XD and get the freshest technology. For me it going to be Range/Plinking/Night stand handgun which I also plan on carrying in the woods and on horseback to ward off animals. Its NOT fun having a wolk pack stalking you on horseback.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I figured since its my first pistol and I will probibly keep it for a LONG time that I might as well spend the extra 100$ over a standard XD and get the freshest technology. For me it going to be Range/Plinking/Night stand handgun which I also plan on carrying in the woods and on horseback to ward off animals. Its NOT fun having a wolk pack stalking you on horseback.
The cool thing now is you have enought rounds to take out the entire pack if needbe.:lol:

·
Registered
149 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
I plan on purchasing an XDM 9 for getting into competition shooting. It will also be fine for home defense or in some cases it could make a good conceal carry weapon.

I will always keep my first love (XD9 subcompact) no matter what they come out with. The XDM will compliment it though.:lol:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts