Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My incredible sweetie (fortunately also my wife) got me a SureFire M3 for Christmas. It talks about using the Rogers/Surefire Technique with your pistol. Would like to use it w/ my XD-9, cannot find any internet references. Can somebody point me to some?

·
Registered
56 Posts
the way i was taught is to hold the flashlight in your off hand like you with the beam pointed fwd when your fist is next to your face. now use the flashlight hand as a brace and place the pistol hand ontop of your flashlight wrist. works for me anyways. :twisted:

·
Registered
181 Posts
strykar,
The method you describe is easier to master than the Rogers technique but once the Rogers method is learned properly it is better at keeping the light aligned with the gun sights and gives a better grip on the gun.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Which ever method you decied to go with try it on the range with live fire. I had been practicing the technique shown in the surefire link, and thuoght I had it down, (I would go through my house at night with an empty pistol). Then I shot an indoor USPSA type match, and one stage was hidden from view (no walk through), and after the LAMR they shut the lights off. The buzzer went off I started shooting, and I learned that my technique sucked, it was hard to keep your grip with the light in your hand, I hit the mag release with the light and ejected the mag twice, and had one jam.
The method I use now I have used in a few matches including USPSA Nationals in 04, and it works something like this.
I hold the flashlight (Surefire Z2 Combat light) in your fist so that you can work the switch with your thumb, now hold your fist in the middle of your chest (fingers aganist your chest), now you can adjust the direction of the beam from the floor up to your target by rotating your wrist. With this method if it is very dark (totaly black) just shining the light down will light up alot, and if the beam is pointed down slightly you don't get blinded from the light reflecting off the back of your gun, and this works pretty good with night sights too. It never hurts to try.
The only thing is you need to be able to shoot weak handed, but you have to that anyway with a flash light unless it's mounted to the gun.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The CCW class I recently took taught the surefire technique. Its advantages are supposed to be:
1. It is a true 2 handed grip, which gives the shooter better control of the gun and it "locks" the light to the gun better than the "backhand" grip which used to be the training standard.
2. it is less fatiguing than the "backhand" grip (when the backhand grip is properly done)
It does feel cumbersome at first and requires practice, but that means more fun at the range!

·
Registered
101 Posts
strykar said:
the way i was taught is to hold the flashlight in your off hand like you with the beam pointed fwd when your fist is next to your face. now use the flashlight hand as a brace and place the pistol hand ontop of your flashlight wrist. works for me anyways. :twisted:
That's what I always thought the Rogers/Surefire technque was. I just browsed Surefires pictures and they call that the Harries technique.
http://www.surefire.com/surefire/content/harries_front_large.jpg

·
Registered
85 Posts
"hold your fist in the middle of your chest (fingers aganist your chest)"

You're lighting up your SOM, giving the bad guys a pefect target? You don't want to do that..

jb

·
Registered
580 Posts
there are numerous flashlight methods out there.

one has the light in the non preferred hand perpendicular to your body. almost like bella lugosi adjusting his cape. :D
for those people who think having a light makes you a target...putting the light far away from you "helped" them get over that.

then there is the one with the light being held NEXT to your face. the guys above have heart attacks over that. BUT...its one more option for you.

there is the "harries" technique as has already been mentioned.

there is the surefire/rogers method as has already been mentioned.

there was a method where you held the light like a camper would...at your waist, and your weapon at retention.

but of all the methods out there...just telling someone WHERE to hold the light isn't as important as teaching someone WHEN to use the light or even HOW to use the light.

such as..."strobing" or "flickering" the light beam...so you're not making a constant light, and thus trackable by the bad guy. flash and move, flash and move. afterall...it is a FLASHlight. using the light and NOT lighting your partner up is a good thing.

anyhow...learn a couple methods...because no one method is THE best all the time. and learn how/when to use it. you'll be miles ahead of most people.

8)

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
c22m22c is right, you must flash, move (and maybe shoot), flash, move, etc.

And you MUST know more than one technigue. Don't think so, see how your favorite technique works from behind cover (a wall, for example) shooting from your strong side using some sort of two hand technique. Now, switch to the weak side of cover; first, you'll probably blind yourself with flashback, then you'll stick half your body out past cover trying to get clear enough to shoot!!

Want to learn a LOT more about shooting in low light/dark, pick up a copy of "Fight at Night" by Andy Stanford. Excellent book. He's a pretty darn good instructor, as well.

FWIW, I train with all the techniques, but my bedside firearms (pistol and shotgun) are equipped with weapons mounted lights.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts