Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought yet another AR-15. I checked out many AR's at the shops and gun shows. The RRA had the best stock trigger (2 stage match trigger), an excellent upper lower fit with zero play, 16" heavy barrel (no grenage launcher narrowing), and a mid-length gas system/hand grip.

I was looking for a mid-length rifle as it gives more grip area when shooting with a sling, better gas pressures, softer recoil, longer sight radius, and better proporions with a 16" barrel. I am upgrading the butt stock slider to a Magpul CTR (commercial) to decrease stock wobble.

A stubby carbine gas system/hand grip looks out of proportion to me unless paired with a 14.5" or shorter barrel.

I plan to get proficient with the A2 iron sights. I also have a RRA Varmint A4 complete upper on order (18" stainless bull barrel, flat top, mid-length free float aluminum hand grip, no flash suppressor). 8-10 weeks wait time. For the Varmint upper, I have GG&G BUIS's on order and a C-More reflex optic on hand.

I don't have a photo, but here is the factory web site. I don't have a range report yet.
Rock River Arms: Mid-Length A2 / A4

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
I agree with the midlength....the CMMG I have on order has that also, but with the standard gauge barrel.... Just waiting on delivery..

Factory Image

Woof
Bowser

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I agree with the midlength....the CMMG I have on order has that also, but with the standard gauge barrel.... Just waiting on delivery..

Factory Image

Woof
Bowser
My Rock River Arms mid-length A2 has the exact same profile as your CMMG. The same mid-length hand guards, pistol grip, retractable M4 butt stock, fixed front sight, and unnotched barrel. However, mine has a non-removeable A2 handle and I will be upgrading to a Magpul CTR (commercial) slider butt stock (hopefully, it will slip right on the stock commercial tube). An A4 flat top with removeable carry handle would have been more versatile, but my A2 was what my dealer had on the rack. I will be keeping this one standard/simple and tricking out my RRA Varmint upper flat top.

Not only does a 16" barreled AR-15 look better with a mid-length gas system/hand grips, but I think it should improve the functioning and sight radius. 20 year old soldiers might not need a longer sight radius, but once you get past 40 years old, a longer sight radius definitely helps. The front sight is very sharp on my rifle.

I am not sure why short carbine gas systems/hand guards are so much more prevalent on the civilian market when mid-length would be better for most shooters.

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
....Not only does a 16" barreled AR-15 look better with a mid-length gas system/hand grips, but I think it should improve the functioning and sight radius. 20 year old soldiers might not need a longer sight radius, but once you get past 40 years old, a longer sight radius definitely helps. The front sight is very sharp on my rifle......
Yep,
the focus change from short to long definitely gets worse after 40..... Plus I agree, it just looks better...

Woof
Bowser

·
Registered
526 Posts
I have the same RRA with the flat top receiver (I added a Yankee Hill flip up sight). I love it. Reliability and sight radius were two of my main reasons for going with the midlength--and the two stage trigger is sweet! Congrats on your purchase--you ought to love it!

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just upgraded my stock slider from the original 6 position M4 style slider to a Magpul CTR (commercial size). The original slider is somewhat cheap looking and wobbles on the tube. The CTR slipped right onto my RRA's original commercial size tube. The CTR has two levers, one to unlock/adjust position, and another to clamp down and eliminate slider wobble. Even without the clamp down, the CTR fits better with less wobble. Clamped down, it is solid. The commercial CTR has a thicker butt pad to accomodate the longer commercial tube. So now, both position 5 and 6 are comfortable for shooting. The CTR is heavier, more solid, and appears much less likely to break. It is the best of both worlds: retractable for storage/transport, and solid for target/bench shooting. I was thinking of getting a complete RRA varmint rifle with an A2 or ACE skeleton stock. However, with the Magpul CTR all I need is the RRA Varmint complete upper.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I love my RRA AR, can't go wrong with them.

The midlength is a 16" barrel with just a longer gas system (and handguard), correct?
Yes, my mid-length RRA has a 16" barrel (with screw on flash suppressor) and a mid-length gas system/hand guard. The gas system is longer than an M4 carbine and shorter than a full size 20" barreled A2 service rifle. Since civilains buy 16" barreled AR-15's, why use a shorty gas system designed for the military 14.5" barrled M4? Like the three bears, the mid-length is "just right" with a civilian 16" barrel.

RRA did not score high on "The List" which for example lists the barrel as batch, when in fact it is a Wilson air-gauged barrel with guaranteed accuracy and a lifetime warranty. "The List" also does not measure upper/lower fit or trigger pull. RRA's have match triggers and tight fittting receivers. RRA beat out all other entrants in the DEA's grueling AR trials and won the DEA/government contract.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Do you notice any performance increases with the mid length, besides the obvious better sight radius? I mean, lower recoil, better reliability, etc?
The medium weight of the barrel (no lightening cuts from sight tower to flash hider), medium 7.5 lbs overall weight, and midlength gas system (lower peak pressures) combine to make this a soft recoil, fast second shot rifle. The longer handguard makes it easier to brace with a sling and the long sight radius is a boon when your eyes get older.

P.S. I took the liberty of correcting your spelling. I hope you don't mind. It was a simple typo.

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
I like how you changed the original post from "I just bought my first AR" to "I bought yet another AR". Does this make you an expert now? Why are you bringing a thread back from the dead when the last post was 2 months ago?

·
Registered
315 Posts
unfortunately u werent quick enough to change it before everyone read it u fraudulent idiot. What a troll.

·
Premium Member
2,583 Posts
I just bought my first AR-15. I checked out many AR's at the shops and gun shows. The RRA had the best stock trigger (2 stage match trigger), an excellent upper lower fit with zero play, 16" heavy barrel (no grenage launcher narrowing), and a mid-length gas system/hand grip.

I was looking for a mid-length rifle as it gives more grip area when shooting with a sling, better gas pressures, softer recoil, longer sight radius, and better proporions with a 16" barrel. I am upgrading the butt stock slider to a Magpul CTR (commercial) to decrease stock wobble.

A stubby carbine gas system/hand grip looks out of proportion to me unless paired with a 14.5" or shorter barrel.

I plan to get proficient with the A2 iron sights. I also have a RRA Varmint A4 complete upper on order (18" stainless bull barrel, flat top, mid-length free float aluminum hand grip, no flash suppressor). 8-10 weeks wait time. For the Varmint upper, I have GG&G BUIS's on order and a C-More reflex optic on hand.

I don't have a photo, but here is the factory web site. I don't have a range report yet.
Rock River Arms: Mid-Length A2 / A4

Its a good thing that I copied and pasted to a notepad thinking he was going to pull this..

What a tool!!!

Another seal for mr. Wild Rice...

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
I like how you changed the original post from "I just bought my first AR" to "I bought yet another AR". Does this make you an expert now? Why are you bringing a thread back from the dead when the last post was 2 months ago?
Future readers please take note of this post.

·
Premium Member
2,583 Posts
What

A

Douche

Definitely subscribing so I can read all the hilarious comments that are forthcoming.
lol... Ive just been sitting at the main page of the AR Talk section hitting reload for the past 5 minutes just because I can't wait to find out what is going to be said next. This is too funny!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts