Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do y'all think about the rock island 1911? I have not had any experience with them.

·
Registered
263 Posts
What do y'all think about the rock island 1911? I have not had any experience with them.
Everything I have heard about them is that they are great guns. Very accurate and failures are very rare. I actually bought a compact yesterday but haven't had a chance to shoot it.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Word is Colt sold them thier old manufacturing equipment.
^^THIS! I own a Highstandard. They are made by Armscorp just like the RIA's are. I have shot about 500 and a buddy I bought it from had over 1000 rounds. Neither one of us had any issues with it. Its a Highstandard compact crusader. I love this pistol and I know everyone that owns a RIA, loves them too.

·
Premium Member
127,710 Posts
Check the search function on this forum. You will find abundant information and opinions on the Rock.

·
Registered
226 Posts
the RIA 1911's are excellent for the price range...i have a CS (compact) and i carry it everyday...not one hiccup or foul yet and it's had probably 800 thru it...eats jhp and ball all day no matter the brand or weight...

·
Registered
150 Posts
Visit any of the 1911 forums, a lot of fans. Great inexpensive 1911s. Customer service as good as Springfield. My Charles Daly is Armscor made. Great gun.

·
Registered
5,765 Posts
when I started to get serious about buying my first 1911 last year, I did look at the RIAs. Seemed to be good value, but if you wanted one with some upgrades such as skeletonized trigger and hammer, extended beaver tail, Novak style rear sights and better barrel than you were into the mid to high $500 range. Then I heard rumors of the Ruger SR1911, which some said would compete. Then it came out at MSRP $799. Then on Monday I found one for $649. Yes $50 to $100 more than RIA with similar features but RIA is Phillipino, Ruger is 100% US, and that was important to me for new 1911 in 2011. There are reports on RugerForum.net of some getting it for mid to high 5s, so that would be even more competitive, but I could not wait for $50 or so saving ;)

Anyway, sorry to thread jack, not my intent -, just thought OP might want to put Ruger in running with RIA. My pics and report here if you are curious.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Ive got the High Standard Compact Crusader and an Armscorp 1911. They both run like tanks. I was actually in a 3 way trade with the HS for an XD with a cop buddy that carried the HS on duty. He gave me first chance to buy it back and didn't give it second thought. RIA's may not have the quality of a Wilson, but they shoot minute of dead which is good enough for me.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I shot my RIA Compact yesterday. Both pictures are from 10 yards with 7 rds each. I did the 1st 7 shooting for center of mass and the 2nd 7 aiming at the head. The head was much better since I had become more adjusted to the short trigger pull.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts