Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I just picked up my first GI Style 1911, a Rock Island GI.

I had a question to those of you who have them..

Is the recoil spring supposed to detach from the guide rod? Mine seems to be stuck on there, and makes getting the barrel bushing out a little difficult.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Mine is not attached and come right out.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Yes, the spring should be removable from the guide rod.

New springs are sometimes tight.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Usually the first coil is tighter than the rest. It can be twisted, unscrewed off the guide rod.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
my spring sticks on my GI plug, i dont use a FLGR (Full Size Guide Rod). but it stuck on the FLGR when i had it in too.. i just give it a slight tug and it comes right off.

cheers

·
Registered
20 Posts
The Rock Island 1911 have a good following on 1911.org with good contact for help thru the representative who is listed on that forum and help service the US from Las Vegas NV. That group is really helpful and they seem to be a quality product from my readings.

Good luck and they will take care of you.

azxdfan

·
Registered
555 Posts
The spring is a little tight on my 1911's and most of the time theres no need to remove the spring from the rod, but if you need to and its a little tight just slightly turn the spring in the direction that will compress it and pull at the same time and it'll come right off.

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
Just for information sake, the "closed" end of the spring goes on the guide rod (And yes, it is supposed to be on there fairly tight) and the "open" end of the spring goes inside the guide rod plug (Towards the muzzle).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts