Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What are your opinions or experiences with RIA? I have been wanting to get a 1911 style pistol for quite a while now, and came across this brand. Found some videos on YouTube about them and it seems like a solid gun and at a good price, and seems like a good first 1911.

Here is the one I am looking at on Buds- http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/21_876/products_id/411539804

Or maybe this one
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/876/products_id/411539799http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/876/products_id/411539079

And is there is another thread on this I am sorry, I wasn't able to find it. Thank you.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Don't wait, just do it.. I love my High standard and they are the EXACT gun. Made in the same factory. I have never heard a bad thing about any of the pistols that come from RIA.

·
Registered
11,293 Posts
Wow! An American made 1911 with a solid build and reputation for $394. If you land this guy, let us all know how it turned out and how well it shoots.

·
Registered
29,621 Posts
Wow! An American made 1911 with a solid build and reputation for $394. If you land this guy, let us all know how it turned out and how well it shoots.
RIA's are made by Armscor in the Philippines.

That being said, they are great pistols for the money. Of the ones I've had, I've never had an issue with one of them. And if you should, RIA's customer service will make it right--they go above and beyond.

As I said, I've had several--they keep getting upgraded. My current is their railed 2011:

I actually just got in from trying it out with an Insight WX150, and some carry ammo to see if ones advertised with low-flash powders really were (not so much); it may become my nightstand gun; if it was a doublestack, it definitely would.

·
Registered
11,293 Posts
RIA's are made by Armscor in the Philippines.
Oh, OK...very well then. Then they must NOT be coming out of the same factory as High Standard in Houston Texas?? :confused: High Standard History Or are they importing them, like SA imports the XD??
I took a gander at their AR rifles and it looks like you can get allot of bang for the buck.

·
Registered
581 Posts
If this works well I'd just as soon get it as a Colt. I know Colt is a lot higher quality, but you could buy 3 or 4 good guns for the price of one Colt. The Colt is a safe queen, not something to use. Be to afraid to take it out with that kind of money in it.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Oh, OK...very well then. Then they must NOT be coming out of the same factory as High Standard in Houston Texas?? :confused: High Standard History Or are they importing them, like SA imports the XD??
I took a gander at their AR rifles and it looks like you can get allot of bang for the buck.
The High Standard I own is made by Armscor. They aren't the same guys in Texas. That High Standard in Texas doesn't import these pistols. And, I have heard that the Texas company, is pretty piss poor. I've heard nothing but bad about their customer service.

·
Registered
29,621 Posts
If this works well I'd just as soon get it as a Colt. I know Colt is a lot higher quality, but you could buy 3 or 4 good guns for the price of one Colt. The Colt is a safe queen, not something to use. Be to afraid to take it out with that kind of money in it.
You're joking, right?

I carry a Les Baer 1911 that puts most Colts to shame, both in price and quality...and it's not a safe queen...not by a long shot.

That's like buying a new Porsche and just keeping it in the garage...

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
I have never had any personal experience with them but I have read and heard nothing but good stuff about them. You may be able to get more info here: 1911Forum.com

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well thank you all for the input. I am going to be putting in the order with Bud's today. And I couldn't believe the mark up Gander Mountain has over Bud's prices, a CZ I was looking at was a $150 difference. Anyways, thanks again.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Well thank you all for the input. I am going to be putting in the order with Bud's today. And I couldn't believe the mark up Gander Mountain has over Bud's prices, a CZ I was looking at was a $150 difference. Anyways, thanks again.
You will not be disappointed. They arn't as pretty lookin as some of the 1911s out there but they do the job and they do it well. The differance from RIA GI and Springfield GI is negligible.

When I get new RIAs the one thing I find is a must to upgrade is the grips. I go with Hogue or Pachmayr. But other then that great parts made to last.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Another user infected with the 1911 fever....
Where will it all end.....

:D

I have a RIA 1911 9mm GI.
Love it.
Learned a lot from it and still am.

Get the 2011 with rail and all the goodies.

Great price, Great gun.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
When I get new RIAs the one thing I find is a must to upgrade is the grips. I go with Hogue or Pachmayr. But other then that great parts made to last.
I was just looking on Midway at grips, I like the look of the checkered ebony. I will probably order those and a set of rubber grips.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, I ordered the RIA Officers 1911, total came to $382. Now I just have to wait.:sad:

·
Premium Member
17,523 Posts
I had an RIA Tactical in 9mm.
Great gun but I ended up selling it to a friend.

I bought it with the intention of upgrading some things, but decided in the long run is would be cheaper to buy a pistol I didn't need to upgrade.
So I sold the RIA and bought a Dan Wesson..

The RIA was a great accurate and reliable gun.
I only ran around 200 or so rounds thru it.

Check these places out for grips...

G-10...

VZ is good as long as you don't need custom work done to the grips.
Home

This guy can make you anything you want..
MonkeyGrips

Wood...

The Finer Grain and Sarge's Grips

http://www.esmeralda.cc/

Just a warning, you might as well start saving for your next 1911.
Because there will be another, and another, and another..

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the links, will check them out when I get a chance.

Just a warning, you might as well start saving for your next 1911.
Because there will be another, and another, and another..
I am always saving for my next gun.:D

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Congrats on the RIA puchase. I have a Tacitcal 5 " and it's been great. . My "rock" was a little finicky on HP's when i frist got it, Remington Golden Sabers fed 100% early on , now it has eaten any that i have tried.

Enjoy breaking it in.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts