Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is the rock island 1911 match worth the extra $$, or am i better off just getting the tactical? my local shops have the tactical for $560, or the match for $745. i'v looked on the web and either they don't ship to california or it's not enough savings to cover the $75-$100 transfer fee theese shops charge.

·
Premium Member
16,913 Posts
I know nothing about a match never having held or fired one, but that price you just quoted for the tac tells me find a new store. gunbroker.com is your friend for learnign how much things cost.

P.S. if you want a .45 acp 1911 5" which is what you should get for a 1st 1911 I suggest citadel, same company bringing it in and at the little bit of extra money its worth it. Perhaps the match is worth even more I can't say. look on gunbroker re-evaluate your view of gun prices your getting screwed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know nothing about a match never having held or fired one, but that price you just quoted for the tac tells me find a new store. gunbroker.com is your friend for learnign how much things cost.

P.S. if you want a .45 acp 1911 5" which is what you should get for a 1st 1911 I suggest citadel, same company bringing it in and at the little bit of extra money its worth it. Perhaps the match is worth even more I can't say. look on gunbroker re-evaluate your view of gun prices your getting screwed.
I know i'm getting screwed... I live in California. i've been on gunbroker and any other site i can find and either they don't ship to California or the price+shipping+transfer fee doesn't make it worth it. If anyone can let me know of a shop that has decent prices and will ship here, or a shop in sothern California that doesn't charge an assload to transfer. Thanks

·
Registered
20 Posts
from what i hear on M1911.org forums are they are worth the extra if your looking to use for target/range or competition, for more of a duty/carry rig go with the tactical. Also i hear theyre hard to come by... so snatch it up quick if its available!

·
Registered
311 Posts
is the rock island 1911 match worth the extra $$, or am i better off just getting the tactical? my local shops have the tactical for $560, or the match for $745. i'v looked on the web and either they don't ship to california or it's not enough savings to cover the $75-$100 transfer fee theese shops charge.
$560 for a RIA Tactical!?!?!? lol
look at buds $409 for the RIA Tactical .45 shipped to any FFL
add $75-$100 for transfer and you still save!!!
API RIA 1911A1 FS 45 TAC 8 $409.00 SHIPS FREE

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
If the RIA Match is on the California approved list you can get one from Centerfire Systems for about $560 or so. Getting pretty close to the STI Spartan (same frame and slide assembled on different lines at Armscor and the Spartan has STI internals) for $628 at Oakhill Enterprises.

·
Premium Member
127,264 Posts
Those prices are nearly $200 too high. I just bought an RIA Tactical for $379 here locally.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If the RIA Match is on the California approved list you can get one from Centerfire Systems for about $560 or so. Getting pretty close to the STI Spartan (same frame and slide assembled on different lines at Armscor and the Spartan has STI internals) for $628 at Oakhill Enterprises.
i think i am going to go with centerfire. it is back ordered, but i think it will worth the wait. i also talked to the lgs and they said that i will have to pay transfer fee+sales tax. does this sound right? i didn't think you had to pay tax if you bought it out of state. thanks for the help

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Why not consider the Springfield Range Officer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
i'm trying to put a limit on myself. it seems pretty easy to go way out of your price range by saying " it's just alittle more ". with this being my first 1911 i'm trying to get the most gun for my money. by all the reviews it seems that the rock island is a pretty safe choice. the range officer would be sweet though

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
SA Range Officer or STI Spartan. No more questions needed.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Just got back from the range with my RIA match. I put 250 rounds of magtech 230gr through it and it performed flawlessly. Not a single FTF or FTE which is not something I can say for my Springfield. It is now the most accurate hand gun I own. At 10 yards I was grouping at 1.5 - 2.0 inches.

The stock magazine is adequate but not great. My Wilson Combat magazines worked perfectly in this weapon. The trigger is short and crisp and the sights are great. Overall I'm extremely happy with it.

With the parkerized finish, it's not all that pretty but the fit of all the parts is good.

I think it all comes down to what you plan on using the weapon for. If its just for target shooting then go for it. If you plan on it being your primary home defense weapon or concealed carry weapon then I would go for the tactical version just because of the price difference and the sights on the Match aren't good for a scenario in which you would be firing in limited illumination.

I was originally looking at the SA Range Officer. This wasn't going to be my primary carry gun or home defense gun so I couldn't justify to myself the price difference between the Range Officer and match. I'll spend the extra money on ammunition and I'm extremely happy with my decision.

I think 99% of the people that talk negatively about RIA have never owned or shot one. On 1911Forum they get great reviews with guys that have thousands and thousands of rounds through them. I haven't used their customer service but again they get great reviews on 1911forum.

·
Premium Member
127,264 Posts
The stock magazine is adequate but not great.

I bought a couple of Wilson Combat OXCBs for my RIA Compact. They work great.

·
Registered
5,287 Posts
I've got one and it's the best the Rock Island makes, hands down. I have a GI and Tactical also to compare it to. Try Centerfiresystems.com. I don't know about the California thing, you'll just have to look at their website and see. Great price too.

1911 .45 ACP Rock Island Match 5" Handgun

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just got back from the range with my RIA match. I put 250 rounds of magtech 230gr through it and it performed flawlessly. Not a single FTF or FTE which is not something I can say for my Springfield. It is now the most accurate hand gun I own. At 10 yards I was grouping at 1.5 - 2.0 inches.

The stock magazine is adequate but not great. My Wilson Combat magazines worked perfectly in this weapon. The trigger is short and crisp and the sights are great. Overall I'm extremely happy with it.

With the parkerized finish, it's not all that pretty but the fit of all the parts is good.

I think it all comes down to what you plan on using the weapon for. If its just for target shooting then go for it. If you plan on it being your primary home defense weapon or concealed carry weapon then I would go for the tactical version just because of the price difference and the sights on the Match aren't good for a scenario in which you would be firing in limited illumination.

I was originally looking at the SA Range Officer. This wasn't going to be my primary carry gun or home defense gun so I couldn't justify to myself the price difference between the Range Officer and match. I'll spend the extra money on ammunition and I'm extremely happy with my decision.

I think 99% of the people that talk negatively about RIA have never owned or shot one. On 1911Forum they get great reviews with guys that have thousands and thousands of rounds through them. I haven't used their customer service but again they get great reviews on 1911forum.
You just made my mind up for me. Thanks for the input

·
Registered
20 Posts
i'm trying to put a limit on myself. it seems pretty easy to go way out of your price range by saying " it's just alittle more ". with this being my first 1911 i'm trying to get the most gun for my money. by all the reviews it seems that the rock island is a pretty safe choice. the range officer would be sweet though
You say $745 for a RIA Match. You're talking less than $50 difference for the Range Officer.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm just quoting the price that the OP posted at the beginning. I have no idea what the RIA Match model costs. I just know I wouldn't pay that much for one.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts