Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I want a 1911 and I seen that Rock Island looks like a basic starter 1911 gun. I'm looking for a gun I can work on and do light gun something on.

Has anyone had any issues with there 1911 guns? So I know where to start building it at.

·
Registered
8,278 Posts
my 10mm Rock was flawless...I swapped the recoil spring and firing pin spring straight away with Wolff Springs from Brownells, mainly due to reviews and feedback about full-power 10 loads...

I have shot both a full size and commander Rock in .45 and 9mm...all were reliable and accurate...when I am ready for another 1911 it will likely be a Rock...look for a "new stock" model, they have a small rollmark on the back of the slide, not the banner across the entire left side

·
Registered
18,867 Posts
RIA's are fine guns, several regulars around here have owned them and I've not seen anything negative about them. I had a tac2 and the only downside was I didn't care for the parkerized finish, it didn't seem very durable.

I'm contemplating a 1911 "project" gun myself, something I can do some fitting and smithing on and see what I come up with. I'm leaning towards a less expensive SA model as you can still get the forged frame and slide at a low price.

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
If you plan on modding it, potential problems out the box shouldnt really be a concern.
What are your goals with this gun?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good target gun and get familiar with its workings. Also part availability to customize it to my taste like grips triggers and finishes.

·
Registered
19,923 Posts
Start with a tactical. It'll help ya out with good sight cuts and the safety tangs already cut down for beavertails.

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
Familiarize yourself with Jerry Kunhausens two manuals on the 1911, Cylinder and Slide, EGW and Hilton Yam. This will get ya where you need to be.

Also, if youre nice, GTJON will help, Im sure. He is a guy you wanna get to know. Good dude with a lot of 1911 know how. He'll be chiming in soon.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Start with a tactical. It'll help ya out with good sight cuts and the safety tangs already cut down for beavertails.
Man, I came so close to buying one today. It was $475 OTD, NIB. It's also already set up for me (southpaw). Starting into a 4th caliber for handguns had me pause. If it's still there next week I might be too weak to stop myself.

Seems like there is a $50 rebate right now too. That would make it $425. :roll:

·
Premium Member
12,161 Posts
Familiarize yourself with Jerry Kunhausens two manuals on the 1911, Cylinder and Slide, EGW and Hilton Yam. This will get ya where you need to be.

Also, if youre nice, GTJON will help, Im sure. He is a guy you wanna get to know. Good dude with a lot of 1911 know how. He'll be chiming in soon.
You posted in the wrong section.

My job here is done.

:lol: Sorry, just kidding... Kinda. ;) Been a rough day, but that's no reason for me to be a dick, you know?

OK, so you want to do some "light" gunsmithing on a 1911? OK, that's easy enough. As suggested earlier, get a copy of Kuhnhausen's 1911 shop manuals (Vol 1, then eventually Vol 2 if you're short on cash) and read them. While you could just start swapping parts on a 1911, you'll probably be disappointed in the results and wind up quitting before learning anything. So, spend some time learning about the platform and then research modifications for it.

After you've learned about what mods you'd like on a 1911, then start researching what it takes to fit and install them properly. I will say that there's some (a lot?) of mods that don't make sense to me, nor do they add to the reliability or accuracy of the platform. Do your research!

Once you decide what you'd like to do to a 1911, then you should start deciding on which pistol would make a good project gun. I've got a Rock Island Armory full-size (what's typically known as a Government Model) chambered in 9mm that I've been slowly working on for the past 2 years. I'm taking my time and learning as much as I can from this one pistol. When I'm "done" with it, I will apply what I've learned to the next 1911 I build.

If you want to 'smith on 1911's, just be ready to invest a sizeable chunk of your time and a decent amount of money into the necessary tools and jigs. Learning how to work on a 1911 is a marathon, not a sprint! Learn how the platform works as an integrated system, then make a change and observe how that change affects the system.

Oh, and if anyone cares what I think is a good pistol to learn on, I'm going to have to say the Rock Islands are great because you can get them for under $400, so you won't cry too much after you screw it up. ;)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Actually I think I found the 1911 I want on Bud's for $502. Plus there is a $25 rebate I found online. So $477 not to bad. It's a bi-tone gi 45acp.

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts
Bah, there's always going to be a few duds when you're dealing with a mass-produced run. Just look at Kimber. By comparison there's been far more stories of crappy Kimbers than problematic RIA's. Heck, I had an XSE series Colt that ran like crap out of the box. Dollar for dollar, RIA's are tough to beat.

·
Registered
18,867 Posts

·
Registered
5,635 Posts

I understand being frustrated but those issues didn't seem terminal to me, maybe a touch over annoying but I would have taken the new pin and free mags in a heartbeat. Putting a few minutes or a few extra dollars into a $400 1911 doesn't seem extraordinary. For the OP, start with a Tactical or a Tac II and don't worry about modding it beyond sights or grips if you just do the Tactical. You'll learn enough taking it apart and then decide if you want to turn it into a project.

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts
The Rocks get great reviews, but don't overlook the real sleeper here, the American Classic II from MetroArms. Also from the Phillipines. ;)
Cuda had one of MetroArms' 1911 and said it was terribly disappointing, and it was the higher-end MAC Bobcut. Others have said they're inconsistent with fit and quality. It just doesn't seem worth it to save a few bones at the cost of consistent quality.

·
Registered
8,278 Posts
I remember that thread, did they ever make it right?

I'll buy another RIA in a second, and if I see one in 9mm that looks good I'm getting it. My Tac2 was an excellent gun.
I know where there is a great used 9mm in the case ;)

1 - 20 of 41 Posts