Springfield XD Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,706 Posts
I've had a couple of RIA 1911s and was pretty underwhelmed. Personally I think Taurus makes a better 1911. If the OP wants a good 1911 for the money, Tisas makes the best IMO. I wonder if they'll get an importer.
I got a Tisas BR9. Can’t shoot it for crap. Not the gun, I’m sure, but when I pick up my CZ or 92 or even my original XD, I don’t have to work hard to get good shot placement.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I got a Tisas BR9. Can’t shoot it for crap. Not the gun, I’m sure, but when I pick up my CZ or 92 or even my original XD, I don’t have to work hard to get good shot placement.
I have the BR9SS and it is a great pistol. Remove the magazine disconnect and it will shoot better.

·
Registered
18,584 Posts
I agree with this. It was a quality made gun but the accuracy was not good. Mine only barely liked 147’s and was lousy with 115’s.

Sold it and don’t miss it.

·
Premium Member
17,706 Posts
I have the BR9SS and it is a great pistol. Remove the magazine disconnect and it will shoot better.
Toyed with that idea, I know it will improve the trigger, but... not willing to modify the gun then find out I still suck at shooting it.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Toyed with that idea, I know it will improve the trigger, but... not willing to modify the gun then find out I still suck at shooting it.
It's a pretty easy mod, simply follow the YouTube videos that show how to remove the disconnect from Hi Powers.

I find my BR9SS to very accurate. A friend of mine has 2 Hi Powers and we compared them. Besides the writing on the slide, there appeared to be no difference. Tisas did an amazing job of cloning.

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Owned many, only have one currently (.22TCM/9mm widebody, one of the early models).

Never a bad one; always been impressed with their quality at the price point.

I’m looking at an Officer's (3.5”) in 9mm just to scratch an itch.

FWIW, a buddy picked up a .45 Officer's RIA GI not long ago that easily outshot my Colt LW Commander 9mm...it was embarrassing.
Same experience here. My RIA Officer is a shooter. Owned 2 other full-size (still have one of them), all if the 3 in .45 and have a .22TCM/9mm on the way, that I’m really excited about getting my hands on.
They make a great gun for the money without a doubt.

·
Premium Member
15,528 Posts
Same experience here. My RIA Officer is a shooter. Owned 2 other full-size (still have one of them), all if the 3 in .45 and have a .22TCM/9mm on the way, that I’m really excited about getting my hands on.
They make a great gun for the money without a doubt.
TCM is very interesting. Curious what your thoughts will be when you get your hands on one.

·
Premium Member
17,706 Posts
TCM is very interesting. Curious what your thoughts will be when you get your hands on one.
I’ve got the RIA .22TCM/9mm. The .22TCM is a pretty impressive little round, kinda wish I had a .22TCM rifle too. Would also be nice if someone besides Armscor made the round, it can be hard to find at times.

Shoots very soft with the big 1911 frame, lots of flame!

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I got my RIA 10mm Tac Ultra FS today. I like it. The parkerized finish seems to be harder to clean/catches paper towel lint easier. But I'm sure I'll get used to it. Takedown is a little different than standard, what with the bull barrel, bushingless setup. But I got through it without too much drama. The safety is, as I expected, a bit softer engagement than I would prefer. From almost every review of this model and other RIA 1911 I've read or seen, almost everyone complains of a soft safety. My E-series in comparison has a strong click. The RIA has a click, but it's noticeably soft. Comes with only 1 magazine, so I bought 2 more OEM magazines at the store. It was all they had, and I was surprised they had the RIA (Metalform) mags and not a cheaper brand. What they didn't have was fuel for the beast, so until the ammo I ordered shows up, it'll sit in the safe and chill.

Overall, aside from the safety, everything feels very tight. The trigger is decently crisp and short. I can't wait to get it on the range and test it out.

Pictured with my E-series for comparison.
20200327_212721.jpg

·
Registered
972 Posts
In my experience the oem mags are junk. I have the ultra FS tach II in 10mm and it would not run worth a crap in the beginning. The first thing I tried was to buy one Wilson Combat 9rd mag and that made the gun run 100%. I then bought two more. A little pricey but they made the gun work in the end. I hope you have better luck with the metal form mags then I did.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
A couple Wilson mags are on my list to get next. I'll see how the OEMs do, and if they're not 100%, I won't be really surprised. I really wish Chip McCormack made 10 (11? 12?) round mags like they have for .45. I have 3 of those and they run great in the S&W.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Some more thoughts. The trigger seems okay. It's a 1911 trigger. Not much more to say. On par with my S&W, I guess. Slide to frame fit is tight; no wiggle at all. The sights are good. FO front, but I haven't gotten it in the sunshine yet to see how bright it is. I wish there was a takedown tool included. I had to raid our filing cabinet for a paper clip to bend to disassemble it. Oh well. That'll get easier in time. So far so good.

·
Registered
8,601 Posts
I bought one in 45, 1911 style. Price was good, had it 5 years never a problem. I shoot it twice a year, keeping for home defense.
IMAG0222.jpg

·
Registered
972 Posts
For whatever reason, my 9 and 45 versions came with mec-gar mags and they work fine. It was just the 10 that came with the metal form mag.

·
Registered
645 Posts
I have a 'GI' series (Cheapest) Officer's Model in 45. It is my go to 1911, what I carry at times. Accurate. Sights are small as they are GI, but they do work. I am not a Parkerized fan, but I guess that is okay. Next time I'd splurge and get a "Rock' series or 'Tac' if I wanted a light. RIA is good to me.

I have OEM, Wilson, Brownell's, CMC and some other mags all have worked for me

21 - 37 of 37 Posts