Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been looking at these and they seem really damn good, especially used there are some killer deals. Alot are in 45 which most 1911's are, I want to grab one in 9mm. Anyone have one in any caliber, or report to tell good or bad?

·
Registered
29,564 Posts
Owned many, only have one currently (.22TCM/9mm widebody, one of the early models).

Never a bad one; always been impressed with their quality at the price point.

I’m looking at an Officer's (3.5”) in 9mm just to scratch an itch.

FWIW, a buddy picked up a .45 Officer's RIA GI not long ago that easily outshot my Colt LW Commander 9mm...it was embarrassing.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im looking for the same thing from RA. 9MM Ofc size. Lotsa 45's on Armslist for cheap. Almost bought one from my local GS in 45 Tan color super clean for 370.00. Went back yesterday and figured Eh if its there I'll grab it but it was sold. Probably best since I don't shoot 45. I get,and have already, alot of 9mm stockpiled so its the logical choice. 380 is almost twice the price as 9 around here and selection is limited to either low quality or boxes of 20 hollow points for over 20 dollars-so that;s easy to pass on. But I do see one in my future for sure, but likely used not new.

·
Registered
29,564 Posts
Im looking for the same thing from RA. 9MM Ofc size. Lotsa 45's on Armslist for cheap. Almost bought one from my local GS in 45 Tan color super clean for 370.00. Went back yesterday and figured Eh if its there I'll grab it but it was sold. Probably best since I don't shoot 45. I get,and have already, alot of 9mm stockpiled so its the logical choice. 380 is almost twice the price as 9 around here and selection is limited to either low quality or boxes of 20 hollow points for over 20 dollars-so that;s easy to pass on. But I do see one in my future for sure, but likely used not new.
There’s a guy trying to sell one as a “limited edition distributor exclusive” for north of $600 on the MN Armslist...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
418 Posts
Had two, and was impressed with the quality, especially for the price. Both mine were .45s, however.

·
Registered
19,921 Posts
I've got an old Charles Daly Armscor that's more or less a Citadel. After tuning the extractor it's been 100%

·
Premium Member
17,704 Posts
Had a 10mm, shouldn’t have sold it. Extractor tuning was required, but not hard to do. Now have a 9mm/.22TCM, shoots very well, just don’t like the “custom” 1911 grips with the tab.

Armscor has great CS and very reliable pistols.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have a 9mm/22tcm officer size tactical (built this year). The pistol looks great, has a tight fit and has the best trigger of any gun that I currently own!

·
Premium Member
126,820 Posts
IMO, the best 1911 for the price currently on the market. I have several and have never had any issues whatsoever.

·
Registered
749 Posts
I bought a RIA ProMatch Ultra in 10mm (6in barrel) to use hunting. Well built, very accurate, and makes full boat 10mm feel like shooting a .40S&W. I really like that pistol a lot. I'm swapping pistols for competition next year, getting away from the XDM, using that ProMatch frame with a 5in .40S&W top end and STI Gen1 mags. I did a little testing yesterday and it was a very pleasant shooting pistol in 40. I've got to tweak ammo, as the ammo tuned for the XDM is a bit too short (get slide lock with 1 round left in mags). If I continue to like it when shooting in matches, I'll go ahead and buy RIA's 5in 40 competition geared gun (about $850) and put my hybrid as a backup.

·
Registered
29,564 Posts
I bought a RIA ProMatch Ultra in 10mm (6in barrel) to use hunting. Well built, very accurate, and makes full boat 10mm feel like shooting a .40S&W. I really like that pistol a lot. I'm swapping pistols for competition next year, getting away from the XDM, using that ProMatch frame with a 5in .40S&W top end and STI Gen1 mags. I did a little testing yesterday and it was a very pleasant shooting pistol in 40. I've got to tweak ammo, as the ammo tuned for the XDM is a bit too short (get slide lock with 1 round left in mags). If I continue to like it when shooting in matches, I'll go ahead and buy RIA's 5in 40 competition geared gun (about $850) and put my hybrid as a backup.
I do have to say—.40 in a 1911 is a sweet combo.

Had a Para P16.40 a few years ago that was just plain fun...one gun I probably shouldn’t have gotten rid of in retrospect.

·
Registered
18,573 Posts
I had one of their higher end models, I think it was the Tac 2 in 45. This was at a time I owned a Nighthawk, Wilson, Ed Brown, and several Dan Wessons. It wasn't as good as any of them BUT, for I think around $600 bucks it had a very nice trigger, positive safety engagement, nice beavertail, adjustable fiber optic sights, a magwell, and G10 grips. And it ran and ran and ran and was quite accurate and a solid performer.

I've been a fan ever since. Solid guns at a very reasonable price.

·
Registered
49 Posts
This is my Rock Island Armory G.I. Model in 9 MM. It's been a very good running pistol. It's box stock except for the Dan Eagle grips. Runs like a scalded dog, and it has one of the best triggers of all of my 1911's.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I've had limited trigger time with one a buddy has. It's been a solid, reliable firearm. He went for a lower end model, but wasnt the GI. Extended beavertail and improved sights I think were the big difference over the GI. At the price point, it's a hard deal to pass up. They feel solid and well built. My only complaint is the stock wood grips he had on his were too bulky and smooth. But that's an easy fix.

·
Registered
749 Posts
So, I took the 10mm frame and put an inexpensive RIA 40 5in top end on it. Installed a few other parts, still need to do some blending and some touch up refinishing, but here's the RIA I'll be punishing in USPSA Limited next year.

FYI, 1st gen STI mags fit it perfectly and feed both 10mm & 40 just fine. They even activated the slide stop (before I disabled it).

Attachments

·
Registered
306 Posts
I've had a couple of RIA 1911s and was pretty underwhelmed. Personally I think Taurus makes a better 1911. If the OP wants a good 1911 for the money, Tisas makes the best IMO. I wonder if they'll get an importer.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts