Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am looking to buy a Rock Island .45 for a duty weapon. I can not decide on the one that I want. I have done my homework on them and I think that I won't go wrong. The question is, can I trust this weapon with my life?

·
Premium Member
127,168 Posts
They are great, inexpensive pistols. I'm planning on buying one at next week's gun show. Welcome to the forum, btw.

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
Welcome to the forum. My next one is going to be a 1911. Doing my homework now. Not sure what it will be yet. I can use all the suggestions, along with reasons, that come my way.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Welcome aboard from California, I would like to pick one up when my finances are in order for it.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Welcome! I saw a couple at the gun show this weekend and was tempted to get one. Maybe sometime in the near future :)

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
Welcome from Wonderful Wyoming.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

I just bought a RIA Compact that I'll probably use for summer concealed carry. The only down side to the Compact is that aftermarket parts will not just drop in, in most cases. The full size on the other hand is a great gun. I don't own a full size myself but I've shot a good friend of mine's a lot. For $400, you can't go wrong since they are incredibly accurate and make great project guns if you want a project.

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
Welcome to the forum...:)

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Evil Tyler Durden said:
I would like to pick one up when my finances are in order for it.
^^^
+1... another 1911 is definately on my wishlist... probably go with either RIA, or a SA mil spec...

Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Welcome to the forum. My next one is going to be a 1911. Doing my homework now. Not sure what it will be yet. I can use all the suggestions, along with reasons, that come my way.
For what I understand the Rockisland .45 is a great buy.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I am looking to buy a Rock Island .45 for a duty weapon. I can not decide on the one that I want. I have done my homework on them and I think that I won't go wrong. The question is, can I trust this weapon with my life?
You really cant go wrong with the RIA 1911 fullsize or compact...For the price they are a good value, accurate, easily modified/upgraded....Just a all around great gun. I have the full size and yes I trust my families life with it!

·
Registered
95 Posts
The 1911's are great and every gun owner needs to have at "least" one because of the 100 year history and pure enjoyment in shooting. I have XD's, Glocks and a couple of 1911's and have to admit my SA Mil-Spec is my favorite.

I wanted a basic mil-spec in SS as I wanted something that was tough as nails. But be forewarned, having a 1911 is addictive and you just have to keep putting something on to make it better. So far my SA has a match barrel/bushing, fiber front with Bomar rear, full reliability work on the action/slide, magwell, lowered ejection port, combat hammer with beavertail and my favorite...the front strap is checkered with 11 ppi checkering (I guarantee it will not fall out of your hands, of course it takes some getting used too, but it works great). It is like having a custom hot rod in my garage and I just like the hell out it. Wish I could say the same about my Kimber...:sad:

The Bomar rear is great, but I wish i would have stayed with a fixed rear.

Is there better pistols out there, the merits of XD's/Glocks over the 1911? This can be discussed all day...

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
mmmm yes, the 1911 Kool-aid is the sweetest. I keep hearing that the RIA Tactical is the best RIA 1911 out there. I own a bit higher end range of 1911s but I won't deny that i keep hearing good things about them.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Even considering selling or trading some of my NOT 1911 weapons for more 1911 weapons... Yes, I've got it bad.... ;)

·
Registered
22,569 Posts
I just checked Gallery of Guns Gun Genie page. No SA 1911 of any variety in stock. There are plenty of RIA, starting around $500 MSRP.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts