Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if any of you have seen/heard about this. The story went national at the time. I posted another story titled "clerk lucky to be alive after robbery" and it got me thinking about this one.

You'll have to excuse the car commercial at the beginning of the video. I couldn't find the video with written story on any other site.

I'll post the most recent info on this in case you are interested at the bottom of my post.

Anyways, this is like my other post I listed above. If you found yourself in this store like the other guy that hit him with the beer bottles, would you shoot the robber? Or, would you just take cover in the back of the store because it didn't involve you directly or your family?

Also, after the BG fired shots at the clerks feet, if you were to shoot the BG in the back, I wonder if you would be prosecuted? Similar to someone fleeing. However, he already fired shots, wasn't fleeing and that might have been the only opportunity to help the clerk.

Here is the most recent news on the story by the way in case you are interested after seeing the video form back in February 2010.

Second arrest in attempted robbery - NBC12 News, Weather Sports, Traffic, and Programming Guide for Richmond, VA |

The Mister Fuel good samaritan one year later. - wtvr

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
In WI you would almost certainly be prosecuted for assisting.

That's why we need AB69 to get passed!!

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
My understanding of Washington state law says that you can use deadly force to defend others

Homicide is also justifiable when committed either:

(1) In the lawful defense of the slayer, or his or her husband, wife, parent, child, brother, or sister, or of any other person in his presence or company, when there is reasonable ground to apprehend a design on the part of the person slain to commit a felony or to do some great personal injury to the slayer or to any such person, and there is imminent danger of such design being accomplished; or

(2) In the actual resistance of an attempt to commit a felony upon the slayer, in his presence, or upon or in a dwelling, or other place of abode, in which he is.

RCW 9A.16.050: Homicide

·
Registered
340 Posts
Looks like he walked around for awhile trying to find that beer bottle... Couldn't have found something a little better to hit him with? There wasn't a fire extinguisher in the back?

I'm glad he did what he did, but I don't think I would have tried to knock him out unless I had something heavy enough to be sure it was going to work.

In FL, you're allowed to shoot the BG in defense of a forcible felony, even one being committed to someone else that you don't know. I probably would have sat somewhere fairly hidden but with a clear shot on the BG and just try to judge the situation. If I feel like he's going to take the money and run, probably wouldn't do anything. If he's getting aggravated and I feel like there's a decent chance that he's going to shoot the clerk, I might shoot him. I'd really feel bad though if I ended up not doing anything because I didn't think he was going to shoot, and then he actually did shoot.

I'm not too sure what I'd do for sure unless I was actually there while it was happening

1 - 6 of 6 Posts