Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the market for a new 1911 and have been looking at guns in the 1000-1300 range when I stumbled across a Springfield RO Elite Officer for a quite a bit less. One of the guns I am looking at is a Dan Wesson. While I know the Springfield is no Dan Wesson, at around half the price I wonder if it is worth it. Also I won't have to worry about babying it as much because it is not near the price of the DW. Does anyone have any experience with this gun? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
18,869 Posts
I've had several Springfield 1911's, a stainless TRP, a Master Class Silent Operator, and a Loaded parkerized. They were all good guns, the Master Class especially was excellent.

The thing about SA and 1911's is the components are pretty much the same across the product line - forged frames, aluminum triggers, some MIM parts. They go Range Officer to their standard 1911's to the TRP to the Master Class to the Professional and the difference between them is some features and the level of hand fitting that goes into it. So if the particular RO you're looking at has the features you want you're good to go, it just may have less fitting then a TRP or a Master Class, but you're still getting a good 1911.

The Dan Wesson is in a whole different category. It's a gun that is just about as good as a Wilson or Nighthawk at a much lower price and unless you want to change sights or add a magwell (I always do) they're a gun you don't have to do a thing to. The triggers will be about perfect and the safety will positively click on and off and it's fit like a bank vault, the best bang for your buck 1911 out there (I have 4).

Best news for you is there isn't a bad choice between the SA or the Dan Wesson.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts