Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a tube of RIG in my grandfather's workshop. The box claims that one application of this Rust Inhibiting Grease will protect a firearm many times over what convetional firearm oils will. Does anyone use/reccommend this product? I'm assuming it could be an old product, but don't know for sure.

·
Registered
130 Posts
RIG is a classic going way back (pre WW2?) even before my time. It does work. And it will stay on your firearms for a very long time. Most modern stuff will dry out in a year or so. RIG stays. But it is a grease so keep it off wood. If you have firearms that sits for years in the back of the gun safe RIG it.

It used to come in tubes, I think still available in plastic 1 to 4 oz. containers. If you know any old timer shooter talk him out of his can of RIG. This is stuff is good and it doesn't go bad if kept sealed up.

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
RIG was gone for a while but it's back! I think I saw some at Cheaper Than Dirt.
I use it on my stored guns, slather it down inside and out and I know it's good to go for a long time. For me I consider it too thin as a "gun grease" as far as lube is concerned.

·
Premium Member
24,708 Posts
works great for storage , it will last, ive used it for i bet 40yrs, i put it on a good quality pcs of cloth make a wiping rag out of it , soak the rag so all u have to do is grab it and wipe your gun down when u put it away , sort of like the new silicone rags out, rig used to make a rig rag for this purpose , havent seen them in awhile , get a bottle it will last you a long time

·
Registered
130 Posts
I have a dedicated 1" paint brush that I use to get RIG into the small places a patch or rag can't get into. Yes I remember the RIG rag which was impregnated with RIG. Haven't seen it sold for years. But glad RIG is still around. Hope the younger shooters "rediscover" this fine product. Nothing works as well for long term.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts