Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a mossberg 500 with an 18" barrel. I've been buying up a lot of 00 buckshot from ammunitiontogo.com. They've sold out of the stuff I've been buying for the past couple of months (big surprise) I want a little variety though. They have a good deal on Federal LE Tactical Low Recoil Rifled slugs. I'd like to start buying up this stuff for my gun. Will I run into any trouble? The gun did not come with any chokes and there is not one installed on there now. I'm a little lost, and I was looking for some opinions. Any help from you guys would be great.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Rifled slugs ARE what you want for a non rifled barrel, like yours.

Sabot slugs are for use in rifled barrels (and are significantly more expensive, too).

Is that what you meant by the question?
I've never actually shot that brand, but I'm sure they're fine for SD purposes.
I don't know if the low recoil are as good on out, like 25-100 yards as regular powder loads or not.

One possible gotcha of low recoil shotshells is that they may fail to have the oomph to recycle semi-auto shotties, and some state that on the box, but no worries in a pump of course.

- OS

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Fantastic Guys. I appreciate the help. I'll place an order tonight.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Fantastic Guys. I appreciate the help. I'll place an order tonight.
I've shot various low recoil loads of 00, and they seem to create about the same nasty level of destruction as full powered ones at 25 yards and in, I'm sure those slugs will be beau coup effective too, just likely drop more at longer distances, so they wouldn't likely be the best choice for precision shooting, like deer hunting or whatever.

- OS

1 - 9 of 9 Posts