Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the rifle im fixing up myself which ive mentioned on the forum before is an old winchester model 47 .22 rifle. It does not have any serial numbers because it it was the years 1949-1954 made .22 rifle. Now since I live in Illinois do I have to register this somehow to me? it was my papas and then it was given to me. thats how I ended up getting the rifle. what do I do?

·
Premium Member
30,891 Posts
You live in Illinois. Illinois register gun owners (via FOID); Illinois does not register guns.

If you were buying a gun from an IL gun shop (an FFL) then you would need to fill out the Form 4473... but this is a federal (BATF) form, not an Illinois form. But you are not doing this; you own an old rifle passed down from a family member. It was a private transfer, and the transfer has already taken place.

The only other scenario is if you live in a town, township or county in Illinois that requires gun registration. Then you need to comply with any local laws.

Here's a link to a brochure by the IL State Police regarding private sales and transfers (the ISP are responsible for gun laws enforcement in IL). Just make sure you are in compliance. The rules are not hard to follow. Consider going back and creating a receipt for the transfer, if it will give you more peace of mind.

·
Premium Member
7,895 Posts
Actually .22 rifles did not have to have serial numbers until the '68 Gun Control Act. Remington and some others started putting numbers on guns in 1967
Then please explain the 5 Remington .22 LR rifles I own that ALL have serial numbers? All 5 rifles are from the 1952-1957 era.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have seen a 30-06 bolt gun, Mauser action (?) that I was told was used in WWII as a sniper gun. It has no serial number on it. I wondered about the no serial number, since My Garand was made in 1941, and has a serial number.

I shot it and considering that it has a steel buttplate on it, wasn't bad to shoot. My friend would like to have more info on it. Any ideas where he could turn?

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
A bolt gun that was used in WWII as a sniper rifle would most likely be an 03 Springfield. Those all had serial numbers.

What your friend has might be one of the Remington made US M1917 rifles that were made for commercial sales, after WWI. Some of those had no serial numbers and the #1 caliber you see those in was 30-06.

I have seen many pre-68 22s that did not have serial numbers. However, my 1923 Winchester Model 06 and 1955 Winchester Model 63 both have numbers. I believe some makers gave their rimfires numbers and others did not. Until the 1968 law....it was not required to have serial numbers on all rimfires. None of my older Remington bolt gun 22s have serial numbers and they were made in the 1950s.

- brickboy240

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Then please explain the 5 Remington .22 LR rifles I own that ALL have serial numbers? All 5 rifles are from the 1952-1957 era.
I said they did not have to have serial numbers on them, some manufacturers put them on some of their guns anyway. I collect Remington Nylon rifles. None of them have serial numbers on them prior to '67.

The point being, if you have a pre-67 22 without a serial number it is because they were not required. If you have one with, congratulations you win a cookie. :D

·
Registered
77 Posts
What your friend has might be one of the Remington made US M1917 rifles that were made for commercial sales, after WWI. Some of those had no serial numbers and the #1 caliber you see those in was 30-06.
- brickboy240
Thanks for the info. We are going to do some searching to see if you are correct. We appreciate the comeback.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts