Springfield XD Forum banner

RIA grip safety question...

6K views 22 replies 13 participants last post by  charlie.45 
#1 ·
Some of you may have seen where I posted that I took my RIA out last week to the range and came home with a bloody hand. Hammer bite..not once, but twice. This was the second time I had it out to the range, the first time out I never got "bit" but the second time out...yea, after the second bite I put the 1911 away.

I am looking for a way to remedy this. I noticed that if I hold the gun high enough to get a thumbs forward grip on it the grip saftey that is currently on the weapon is slightly dug into the pad of my hand where the hammer comes back. However, if I lower my grip I can not get a proper thumbs forward grip. This has lead me to beleive that a new grip safety is the most logical solution...which leads me to my question.

What grip safeties will fit these or are they all interchangable? I love shooting this 1911, but got to admit the bite makes it a little less than fun...

Thanks guys!!
xd

#2 ·
Which model do you have? In almost a 1000 rounds through my tactical I have never had that type of issue. The left side of the ambi safety does tend to dig into the thumb on my right hand, but, thats about it. The tactical has a high rise beaver tail though.

#3 ·
Which model do you have? In almost a 1000 rounds through my tactical I have never had that type of issue. The left side of the ambi safety does tend to dig into the thumb on my right hand, but, thats about it. The tactical has a high rise beaver tail though.

Its the RIA 1911 A1. The beaver tail on it almost curves back down at the point of it...this is the best pic I have of it right now. I can post a better one if needed when I get home from work...

Firearm Gun Trigger Starting pistol Gun barrel

Thanks guys!!

#5 ·
Yea you definitely need a high rise beaver tail grip safety. What made you go with a government model?
lol...like the look and feel of it...and the grip safety, however I am now learning that it probably was not the best of choices. Still a sweet pistol, but man after getting bit by it twice...not so sure. Def need to get that switched out!! I just don't want to get something and have it not fit...I don't need anymore headaches lol...

#6 ·
I think you have a nickel RIA, you could get a blue WC and have it nickel plated but a polished stainless would work too, anyways these may help, the guys vid is a little long but pretty good, you won't have to grind on frame, just careful installation and safety checks as described, your govt hammer may bite the grip safety a little but that's a nice well on this WC sort of drop in part. Good Luck
Colt 1911 Wilson "drop-in" beavertail grip safety installation - YouTube
Thanks for the video. I have had this thing torn completely apart, the day I got it I took it home and tore into it...kind of a thing I have I guess, a "getting to know you" thing. They are pretty simple, just want to make sure that what I get will fit it...

#7 ·
All is not lost. The beaver-tail grip safety was designed to address this problem as well as get the hand higher into the pistol for better control. In the attached image is a Series 70 Colt that has had the grip safety tang and pistol tang rounded off to get rid of sharp edges, and the hammer has been bobbed slightly. This was done after a Cooper course back in the eighties in which I finished the last day with the web of my hand bloody and heavily bandaged because of the sharp edges and hammer bite. I think the hammer could be bobbed a bit more, as my fleshy hand sometimes still gets snapped by it.

Or you can have a beaver tail safety installed...

CX

#8 ·
Just goes to show to each their own. lol I never liked that model. You could fit it yourself if needed. I did my own fitting on my XDm 5.25, which was minor. Was a good learning experience. When I first got my tactical, I tore it completely down. Good thing I found some pics of the exploded view otherwise I would have been in trouble.

#9 ·
All is not lost. The beaver-tail grip safety was designed to address this problem as well as get the hand higher into the pistol for better control. In the attached image is a Series 70 Colt that has had the grip safety tang and pistol tang rounded off to get rid of sharp edges, and the hammer has been bobbed slightly. This was done after a Cooper course back in the eighties in which I finished the last day with the web of my hand bloody and heavily bandaged because of the sharp edges and hammer bite. I think the hammer could be bobbed a bit more, as my fleshy hand sometimes still gets snapped by it.

Or you can have a beaver tail safety installed...

CX

I like the middle and far ones!! LOL they totally block the hammer from your hand to where that damn hammer, sharp teeth and all, has no way to get to your hand...

#10 ·
Another question...are the hammers interchangable? Thinking about swapping out the hammer and beaver tail to something like what is pictured in the above post...any thoughts on doing this on this model?

#12 ·
Go for it...and there may be some minor fitting, but the hammer is usually easily changed out.
I will see what I can come up with for getting some parts ordered up and go from there. I will try to keep updates on here with pics as I go...

Any suggestions on parts? Sh!t, while I'm at it I might as well do the trigger too...

#14 ·
#15 ·
Hammer bite sucks.

Brownell's is your friend for both a new hammer and beavertail grip safety.

Be warned, the 1911 is one of the most customizable guns out there. You may have just created a monster.

#17 ·
Thanks guys!! Lots of info, I will be looking at Brownell's and see what I come up with. Yea, this is going to turn into a project I'm thinking! LOL

Can't wait to see what happens...

#19 ·
Either bobbing the hammer or the Wilson "drop-in" grip safety are the only viable options for someone not familiar with the 1911. All other "beavertail" safeties require cutting the frame and ANY new hammer will need to be matched to the sear.

#20 ·
Here's what I went with, should be here tomorrow...

Thanks Guys!

Bottle opener Metal Hardware accessory

Wilson Combat Commander-Style Hammer

Metal

Wilson Combat High-Rise Beavertail

#21 ·
A beavertail type safety is the best way to go but if you can completely disassemble the frame and remove the hammer, just cut or "bob" the hammer by an 8th of an inch or so and round the edges and either cold blue it for looks or use a blueing pen to darken it until you can afford to replace it.

P.S. I see you got the parts. Good choice. Just make sure you have them fitted by a good Smith. Dont be fooled by some of the "drop-in" claims. Its much more critical than that in a 1911.

#23 ·
If you want to go with actual RIA parts check advancedtactical.com. I do not see a stainless beavertail grip safety but they have them as well as the hammer and skeletonized trigger. Also from what I've heard of these guys on some of the 1911 forums they do great work at good prices.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.