Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now maybe I'm really going out on a limb here, but I'm sick of rust on my month old xd. I oil it 3x/week and even have the "blue wonder stuff on it. I'd just like to be able to rack my slide without worrying about wiping it off (and no, I'm not buying a glock). I talked to the guys who Rhino the truck beds, and although ti seems like a stretch, it may work...
The round chambered indicator would be stuck, but blue wonder got in and played with it already, so maybe that's not a problem I'm just wondering if anyone has done it, or If there are any glaring problems that I have glossed over. Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Why not get a real firearm finish?

Why use a truck product on a gun?

·
Registered
179 Posts
I have visions of about six months of service, and then one day you rack the slide and it collapses into a hollow Rhino coat shell filled with iron oxide dust. Generally putting a coating of any kind over steel that has previously rusted is a temporary solution because of the difficulty of removing all traces of rust under the coating.

If I were Caspian I would introduce a Stainless Steel aftermarket slide for the XD as quickly as possible to cash in on this issue.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, so the Rhino idea may not work. After trying to get the rust off myself today, I was getting desperate/creative. Hopefully I didn't irritate James to the point where he's going to laugh hysterically at me when I have to beg him to help me fix my XD (which, after todays little "cleaning" fiasco, I probably need to do). Anyone know if he can refinish more than just the slide? I've got rust on/in the barrel, and now on the internal parts inside the slide. Not just that, but I need the same work on a Kel-tec P3at of mine. Man, I just need to accept that I am cut out to shoot them, not work on them. That's why they have professionals.

·
Registered
359 Posts
What the crap are you doing to your XD to make it rust like that!?!?!?

I've heard of the surface rust problem, but your barrel too? Goodness, I feel really sorry for you, man.

Do you keep it in an area that is humid? You say you oil it thice a week, right? I am REALLY surprised that you've got rust on your barrel. Are you oiling that too? What kind of oil are you using? Sorry for all the questions, this just seems like a really bad case of the rusts (instead of the runs, hehe :shock: ).

-stunks

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Are you sure it's rust in the barrel, and not copper fouling?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yup, its rust. Buty, james is going to take care of the slide for me. I was meaning to do that anyway. And Dave, I"d give my left one to be able to trade you places with where you live. I've lived all over, and that place has no equal.

·
Registered
61 Posts
You might try Tuff-Glide.
I have posted this before, but I have been using it for 4-5 years and have never seen a speck of rust on any of my pistols, rifles or pellet guns that are often in the bottom of a canoe.

I know I live in South Tx, but my weapons have been in Colorado, Alaska and many times down rivers in Tx.

If I had that much rust, I would be to the point of trying baby spit.

Hope this helps..........

Good Luck !!

Nick

1 - 11 of 11 Posts