Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Can’t be too careful these days. Probably useful, if you have the kind of card that can be read from a distance.

·
Registered
17 Posts
They do work. Basically metal plates on outside of the credit card slots that blocks the scanner from powering the rfid chip on card.

There have been many cases where perps have been caught scanning cards of people in check out lines.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19,986 Posts
They do work. Basically metal plates on outside of the credit card slots that blocks the scanner from powering the rfid chip on card.

There have been many cases where perps have been caught scanning cards of people in check out lines.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
You still gotta take it out at some times, and scanner range is life a foot or likely far less. Keep your wallet in your hat!

regardless, your card is much more likely to be snagged when you hand it over to someone or if a database is compromised.

End of the day, CC company is the one on the hook for CC fraud. I'll not waste my time caring more than the CC company does.

·
Registered
731 Posts
You still gotta take it out at some times, and scanner range is life a foot or likely far less. Keep your wallet in your hat!

regardless, your card is much more likely to be snagged when you hand it over to someone or if a database is compromised.

End of the day, CC company is the one on the hook for CC fraud. I'll not waste my time caring more than the CC company does.
The issue is not who pays the monetary bill for fraudulent charges, but the time and headache and stress of you having to call multiple card customer service lines, close / freeze accounts, open new accounts, fill out police reports, fill out credit card fraud reports, deal with the credit bureaus if you care about fixing your plummeted rating due to fraud. It sucks. Everytime you call a card's customer service line, plan on a minimum of 40 minutes to deal with fraudulent activity. Been there...not a picnic. I wasn't responsible for the $40k, but we're all paying for it.

·
Registered
19,986 Posts
The issue is not who pays the monetary bill for fraudulent charges, but the time and headache and stress of you having to call multiple card customer service lines, close / freeze accounts, open new accounts, fill out police reports, fill out credit card fraud reports, deal with the credit bureaus if you care about fixing your plummeted rating due to fraud. It sucks. Everytime you call a card's customer service line, plan on a minimum of 40 minutes to deal with fraudulent activity. Been there...not a picnic. I wasn't responsible for the $40k, but we're all paying for it.
the few times my CC has be stolen, it was no where near that big of an ordeal. It was also flagged PDQ. What annoys me is I told them exactly who swiped my numbers (or tried to) and no-one cared.

·
Registered
731 Posts
the few times my CC has be stolen, it was no where near that big of an ordeal. It was also flagged PDQ. What annoys me is I told them exactly who swiped my numbers (or tried to) and no-one cared.
I didnt even get a card stolen. First they opened up store cards in my name, in person, at stores near my home at Best Buy, MicroCenter and Target (Target didn't let them actually buy anything and was the first to notify me). Then a month later they went into other stores and were able to use my accounts with having a card present (which a lot of stores allow for your own convenience). Investigators thought that my info was purchased on the internet.

·
Registered
19,986 Posts
I didnt even get a card stolen. First they opened up store cards in my name, in person, at stores near my home at Best Buy, MicroCenter and Target (Target didn't let them actually buy anything and was the first to notify me). Then a month later they went into other stores and were able to use my accounts with having a card present (which a lot of stores allow for your own convenience). Investigators thought that my info was purchased on the internet.
that is ID theft, and really doesn't have much at all in common with CC swiping

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
Company sent us all these little RFID sleeves for so CC card. No idea if it works but I put the card in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19,986 Posts
Company sent us all these little RFID sleeves for so CC card. No idea if it works but I put the card in it.

is the company card actually a RFID CC?

"
Find out if your credit card has an RFID chip
To find out whether a credit card has an RFID chip, you can look at the card to tell if it does or does not. If you see the marked symbol on the image below, it is supporting RFID. Also, if the card says PayPass, payWave or blink, it also has RFID capabilities.

"

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
is the company card actually a RFID CC?

"
Find out if your credit card has an RFID chip
To find out whether a credit card has an RFID chip, you can look at the card to tell if it does or does not. If you see the marked symbol on the image below, it is supporting RFID. Also, if the card says PayPass, payWave or blink, it also has RFID capabilities.

"
See above

·
Registered
19,986 Posts
Nope just an Amex. But they sent it Ill use it ya know the ol cya thing and all.

so to boil it down; they are asking you to needlessly hassle yourself because the people in charge are ignorant of technology and don't think anything of inconveniencing you if it make them feel better about their decisions.

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
so to boil it down; they are asking you to needlessly hassle yourself because the people in charge are ignorant of technology and don't think anything of inconveniencing you if it make them feel better about their decisions.
One way of looking at it.
But I dont see it as any big deal.
I have to get it out of my wallet anyway so what if I have to remove and replace it in a sleeve. As a bonus the mag strip does not get all beat up.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts