Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been less than satisfied lately with my hand priming tool--my hand gets tired, and I think I've worn it out a bit. So I looked for alternatives, and there was the RCBS Automatic Bench Priming Tool:

RCBS Auto Priming Tool

Well, this thing is the cat's meow. It's pricier than the alternatives at $88.94 delivered from Grafs (and then minus the $10 RCBS rebate for a final cost of $78.94). But it's fast, and much less tiresome than the handheld models.

I timed myself tonite priming .223 cases; got 19 in a minute not hurrying particularly.

It was surprisingly easy to get into the rhythm of using this device. To start, you press the handle down, which moves the primer feeder over the shell holder where it feeds a single primer to the seating cup. Let the handle up, and the seating cup retracts into the shell holder. Put a case in the shell holder, press the handle down again, and voila! It's seated.

You can feel it seating quite well, i.e., good tactile feedback, and the effort required is minimal compared to the handheld primer.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Looks like a sweet priming tool. I have a progressive press, so I'm not in the market for this type of tool, but if I get into rifle cartridges I'll probably go to a single stage press so that it is as accurate as possible.

Thanks for posting this up.

·
Premium Member
2,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
An update:

I swaged the primer pocket of 100 Lake City .223 cases, and then primed them using the RCBS unit and CCI #41 primers.

I usually have a bit of difficulty seating primers using the handheld priming tool, but in the case of the bench priming tool, no problem at all. A nice solid feel as the primer seats, and then it's done.

I remain quite satisfied with the unit. I'd buy another, but this one probably will last a lifetime.

·
Registered
4,290 Posts
So does it take special shell holders, or would the LEE shell holder I use in my hand primer work? Looks interesting and might be something I get for sure. Grafs is about a 30 minute drive.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I've had one for years it uses reg press shell holders

·
Premium Member
2,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep, standard shell holders. My .223 shell holder is a Lee. And an RCBS. :) I'm an equal-opportunity shell-holder buyer.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I've had mine for many years as well. The only shell holder problem was with one brand, Lyman I think, where the hole through the middle of the shell holder was a bit smaller than the RCBS and others. The primer ram would sometimes hang up, requiring a light push to drop down through the shell holder. I did a little polishing on everything and that fixed the problem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts