Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,976 Posts
I got a Hank's leather belt.

It's actually a little too thick. Clips get spread apart.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I have a Hanks gunner belt off Amazon, and I LOVE it. Its the best belt I have ever owned. Very heavy duty as well, and should last years. I've worn it for 6 months so far and it is wearing well.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I have the Daltech but I caught a deal of 20% off the $60 price tag.

It is thick. Depending on the belt loop I may, or may not, be able to put it through that first one twice.

·
Premium Member
17,976 Posts
Mine's the Tactical Extreme. I wanted the black buckle w/o the roller.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I've been waiting for someone to post this from the "Funny Pictures" thread but no one has so I'm taking that duty on myself. Here's someone else doing a review of four gun belts:

·
Registered
9,888 Posts
I got a Hank's leather belt.

It's actually a little too thick. Clips get spread apart.
I have one from Firearm Holsters (before he disappeared) that's the same way.

·
Registered
7,355 Posts
The review is nicely presented and well-written, but I've got a serious problem with its content -

It utilizes the thickness of the belt as the sole measure for whether it would be suitable for use as a "gun-belt," particularly where heavier or more comprehensive loads are saddled.

For those of us who have comfortably shot all-day or even multiple-day classes or competitions with thinner belts such as the Ares Gear Ranger/Aegis or The Wilderness 5-Stitch, loaded down with two or more handgun mags, two rifle mags, and a full/duty-size handgun with a mounted weaponlight, we know that this is far from true - we know instead that thickness is only part of the story.

The biggest underlying issue is comfort - which is by definition subjective and thus varies from person-to-person. This drives the entire train: even if a belt can physically support a ton of gear, if it makes the shooter uncomfortable while wearing it, they're not going to be wearing it for more than one day.

Some prefer a very stiff belt. For others, this stiffness can be felt as a "cutting" at the waist and is tremendously uncomfortable.

Some prefer to cinch their belts tight. Others feel this tightness as unbearable.

These subjective concerns are addressed physically via the construct and materials of the "gunbelt," via an interplay and trade-off between three factors:

- Thickness
- Width
- Stiffness

Typically, a compromise in one or two areas can be made up for with differences in the other factor(s).

A wide and thick belt, such as a 1.75 inch or 2-inch "duty belt" may not need to be very stiff - however, this lack of stiffness along the width of the belt may require that it be cinched tighter in order for the belt to properly support a heavier gun or gear. Various "rigger's belts," along with one of the de facto standards of concealed carry and range work - The Wilderness 5-Stitch (and variants) - are perfect examples of this.

An ultra stiff belt may not need much width or thickness - look at the Ares Gear Enhanced Ranger or Enhanced AEGIS. But here, we may run afoul of that "the belt is cutting me in half" feeling, and this is something that I've heard come from Jake Sebens' own mouth, at a class where he was showing his belts to a female classmate (he straight-up told her that some female shooters have returned his belts before as they felt it was cutting into their hips - he then kindly offered for her to wear the belt for the three day class as a no-cost trial). And towards this end, it's where belts like the Volund Gearworks ATLAS or the even softer ATLAS-Slim makes a good compromise for some.

While I mostly speak of synthetic nylon belts, the same applies to leather, too. That Daltech is thick, but there are also much thinner leather (or even synthetic leather, like Biothane) belts that carry an internal polymer-plastic (Aker), ballistic nylon (Mean Jean Leather) or steel support band. Yet other leatherworkers may utilize different treatment methods to make for a very rigid belt that doesn't require an insert, yet will support a full/duty-size load-out.

Aesthetics also matter. While this review would have readers believe that all good gunbelts must be wider (current Hipster-chic), the truth is that there are plenty of good belts that fit into many different dress types: everything from a 1" front section leather belt that will blend seamlessly with even fine tailored suits or business wear to the sportiest looking hardware-equipped nylon that's sure to be the envy of all your classmates in a tactical/defensive shooting class. An initial parameter for the purchase should thus include what width and thickness of belt your intended style of dress can accommodate. Many of today's men's jeans and chinos/khakis can accommodate up to 1.75-inch belts, and at least 1.5-inch wide belts, but a 1.75-inch wide belt that's also very thick may cause issues when trying to pass through some belt-loops. Dress pants' tighter belt loops can be more restrictive, with 1.25 or even 1-inch wide belts often being the limit.

As you look at the styling and thickness/width parameters of these belts, also critically remember that not all gear share the same mounting methods. Some belt-loops on gear may be too small/tight to fit the width and/or thickness of belts. For some such issues, it's a simple matter of the loops/clips just not being able to fit the belt at all - but other more insidious problems may crop up even if the belt and mounts initially seem to play well together. In these cases the over-the-belt clip, while it "just fits" over the belt, may not able to find sufficient traction on the belt (or may pop free) during the actual physical draw-stroke. This is truly where I have the most disagreement with the review, as it suggests that thickness is so critical to the ability of the belt to support a comprehensive load-out, without examining the belt-thickness -to- gear interface concerns. A too-thick belt can cause metal clips to over-expand and fail to properly grip the belt or may cause an over-the-belt hook to insufficiently grab the shoulder of the belt (particularly if the edges are well burnished or rounded). Similarly, it can make it impossible for some mounting methods to establish sufficient primary locking - relying solely on the secondary lock to secure the item (i.e. Tek-Lok).

Understand that there isn't a simple "best." A lot of this has to do with your personal preferences. A lot of it has to do with gear-to-gear interactions.

I've got no problems with the belts that the author reviewed. They're among some of the best in the market.

But implying that thickness is that big of a deal? it's really not.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a gpm ... I wear mostly for 3 hours ... I use both inner belt and leather as under the jacket the bus sticks out too much ... when driving in the car I feel some discomfort with them ... I bought mac-1 and this one the problem disappeared immediately ... I also liked the mount with a saddle that conveniently “falls” on the thigh ... well, the possibility of adjusting the angle of inclination is also big + ... I didn’t measure it with a timer, but when I tried (including sitting in the car) I leaned towards to the bus ... compare with the blackjack opportunities was not so much because he did not see them on sale .. and to buy through and The Internet is not "feeling" in advance - it doesn't feel like it ...) if dear forum users tell you where you can see and buy an alternative, I will be grateful ... and which one to choose?
Top Best 10 Leather Gun Belts for CCW [2019 Reviews] - Leather Toolkits

·
Premium Member
17,976 Posts
I went with a Carhartt belt which is stiff enough for carry and not too thick.

Carhartt_belt.jpg

·
Registered
18,869 Posts
I've found the thick leather ones sag a bit too much. I've been wearing a Blade Tech for a while now and like it, infinitely adjustable and very stiff.

·
Registered
774 Posts
I just received my second Kore Essentials gun belt today. I have one in black for over a month and really like it so purchased another in brown. It is not too thick, does not look like a gun belt, very easy to adjust and works well with my XDS .45 and Officers Model 1911. Looks like a dress belt not a gun belt yet has a stiffner sandwiched between leather.

www.koreEssentials.com

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
I bought a Versacarry double-ply water buffalo leather belt. It is a bit thick but it will be great once it breaks in with normal wear. Leather Belt
They are having a fathers day sale where you can one at 50% off using code FATHER50.

Versacarry Commander holster_XDS9mm.JPG

·
Registered
7,355 Posts
^ I *_love_* me some Ares Gear. 8)

But I feel compelled to note that an ultra-stiff belt may not necessarily always be the best solution - not just comfort-wise (towards this, I've seen Jake himself stepping forward and offer female shooters at classes/events a free demo-wear of for the duration of the class with fuss-free return) - but also in terms of how gear positioned at various portions of a shooter's body may or may not be better supported by such a rigid belt.

In-particular, there's a not-insignificant portion of modern-AWIB folks who prefer a more "conforming" belt.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts