Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, any of you that have talked with AJAMES, you know how great of a guy he is. The most knowledgeable person of the XD I have ever talked with. He strives to make customer service his #1 priority, something that a lot of businesses forget. Of course we know what happens to businesses that don't put their customer's best interest first.

Anyway, enough of that mushy stuff about AJAMES. I just bought another new XD Sub 40 a couple weeks ago for my primary CCW. Right off the bat, I wanted to go ahead and get AJAMES to put an Ameriglo front sight on it. At first, I thought about the HI VIZ, but after weighing the two for it's purpose, I chose the Ameriglo. AJAMES said that the Ameriglo sends its sights to Trijicon to have them put in their vials, so essentially you are getting a Trijicon sight, which I have been accustom to with my previous XD service in 40 SW. But at the Ameriglo price.

This is my 3rd XD (2 subs, 1 service-all 40SW) and have never had one spot of rust anywhere on any of them. Since this one was brand new, I went ahead and decided to have AJAMES do a dura coat of matte black for that extra protection since I am going to be carrying this one much more than the previous. Most of all, I liked the looks of the matte black.

Both of these service's pricing included free sight installation and then return shipping. For the whole package, it was very inexpensive considering what all I was getting.

I talked to AJAMES on the phone and we got it all settled on what I wanted, so I boxed up the slide according to his directions and sent it off. It got there in 2 days and he happened to be doing a few others in the same color that day and he called me that night and said it would be on it's way back to me the next morning.

When I opened the box, I was very pleased. I inspected it in the sunlight and went over it with a fine-toothed comb and the job was SUPERB!! I couldn't be more happier with it. The finish even though called matte, has that sheen of just being coated with a light coat of oil. Ya know how after you clean your XD and then wipe it down and it has that smooth, uniform sheen to it? That is what is looks like all the time now. No, we are not talking a high gloss or anything, just a low, uniform sheen that really makes it look very sharp.

There is no need for me to post pics, since there are several examples of his fine work on his site including a few of the matte black. I just wanted to let you know of the great attention to detail that AJAMES does and the outstanding customer service. He kept me informed of every step through emails and phone calls to make sure I was informed and happy with his service.

If you have any doubt whether or not your XD might develop rust or if you would like another color, you are wise to make this very small investment. Though I do not ever plan on selling this piece, I consider it's value increased after this addition. Unfortunately, the "so called finish problems" with the XD have made their way around many forums, so the news is out there. I have taken the added step to make sure my XD is taken care of and just think of it as an added investment. Not that I was really worried about rust anyway, but the coating really makes the pistol look very nice.

If you haven't used AJAMES yet for any purchases, I strongly suggest you give him a try. He is extremely customer oriented and knowledgeable. Not to mention a sponsor of this site.

Thank you AJAMES!!! :D :D
http://www.xd-hs2000.com

Disclaimer: I have not been compensated for my comments, I am just a very satisfied customer. Everyone is quick to spread bad news about folks, but don't take the time often enough to compliment others on their fine services.

·
Registered
9,951 Posts
XDTOM40

Thanks for the kind words. I forgot to mention if you can baby that finish, I do a speed cure but in experience have found if you can still baby the finish and try not to practice draws in a kydex holster for a week or two the finish gets stronger with time. So don't go throw it against brick walls or anything if you can help it.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will do AJAMES. I don't have any Kydex, just leather, but I will be careful. I ordered a custom holster that will be here in 14 weeks from Eric Larsen to compliment your work.

Thanks again :D

·
Registered
338 Posts
XDTOM40 said:
Will do AJAMES. I don't have any Kydex, just leather, but I will be careful. I ordered a custom holster that will be here in 14 weeks from Eric Larsen to compliment your work.

Thanks again :D
Then we demand pictures when the holster comes in!!!!

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
ajamesp51 said:
XDTOM40

Thanks for the kind words. I forgot to mention if you can baby that finish, I do a speed cure but in experience have found if you can still baby the finish and try not to practice draws in a kydex holster for a week or two the finish gets stronger with time. So don't go throw it against brick walls or anything if you can help it.
My piece is a test subject for the dura-coat finish.. and I have been abusing it well...

She has about 750 rounds through her since the new finish, and I have logged about 400 pulls from a kydex & ABS plastic holster. The goal has been 500 pulls, but I just don't have time.. 10 hour workdays, and having to do homework for two fifth graders.. and my Gal-Pal finds it distracting when I pull my gun from it's holster and pop a snap cap at Brit Hume.. (She likes Brit Hume.)(I watch a lot of FOX News...)

Anyway.. After 250 pulls from the FIST #1 kydex holster, and 140 pulls from the FOBUS ABS plastic holster.. she's holding up pretty well!

I am not seeing any sign of hoster wear. There is some wear, but as far as I can tell, none due to wearing, or un-holstering the weapon.

Now.. just another 110 more pulls to go.. 500 rounds is a lot to shoot in one sitting.. 500 holster draws is REALLY a lot to do.. I will get'r done though.. eventually..

More pictures of the before and after refinishing by AJames.

Raymond

·
Registered
9,951 Posts
Captain at least you did not say a Colmes fan, he can open his mouth and I no I don't agree with him. Hey I know who's watching out for me, no bloviating. You know fox news and nascar are the best things about xm radio I can always listen to fox news.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Yeah.. I love FOX news.. I have XM too.. and it is a luxury being able to listen to FOX when I am at work or on the road... except for Gretta Van'suffiring.. or whatever her name is. I don't like that show very much..

Anyway.. how do you like the looks of your work? It's doing pretty well, despite all the abuse I have given her. The Dura-Coat finish is pretty strong..

I am almost ready to start some of the hard tests.. just 100 more pulls to go!!

Raymond

·
Registered
19 Posts
Ooooh! Those coatings look sexy. I just joined the forums not too long ago and am looking to get a SC or a service model (still can't decide!) I may definetley have to go with the matte black finish. Can't wait till december so I can buy it! Then of course Ill have to rip it apart and send the slide to ya... looks worth it though...

·
Registered
48 Posts
Ajames what do you charge to do the slide and all of the controls like the Captain's gun? I am seriously thinking about having you do my gun like that and have some new sights installed while you have it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts