Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorrie for the long post... but i figured someone later on might appreciate the pics and descriptions. well here goes...

ALL PICS ARE LINKED TO LARGER ORIGINAL SIZE

Manufacturer: ADG Sports
Product: "Secure Vault" Top loading Electronic Handgun Safe
Model # 33018
Price(10/19/05): $59 ~ $92
Ext. Dimensions: 13 x 12.5 x 3.5in

I purchased this particular product from Cheaperthandirt.com and that website actually had the same product listed differently three times with different prices. I got it for $59.99 + $6 shipping. For more info on that go here http://www.hs2000talk.com/viewtopic.php?t=26283

Why did i pick this safe to buy?
Because i wanted a top loading safe that would allow me to insert the whole unit inside my bedside dresser drawer. This was the only one i could find that was electronic and top loading. I wanted it to be an electronic model so that i wouldnt need to go fumbling around in the dark looking for a key if someone breaks into my house.

Form/Appearance
The exterior is a dary grey/almost black color with a big ugly ADG logo mounted on top. It is actually a fairly good looking piece with utility in mind. There is a single LED light visually alerting you simultaneously with the beep when you press a key. The four keypad buttons are well spaced so you won't press the wrong key by accident. It also has a manual key lock on the forward face to allow for manual opening. On the left side are the two jump start metal contacts. It also has two predrilled holes on the bottom so you can screw the safe into another surface. It also has a small predrilled hole on the back face to allow for locking with a laptop lock. The flash from my camera make the safe pics look much more reflective than it really is. It actually has a softer, satin like finish.

The Interior is padded with some low budget foam lining that is glued in. It is decent as is, but easily removable if you want to replace it with your own custom cut foam or something.

Overall, a good looking safe, clean and simple. Only improvement that could be made is perhaps backlit buttons that would light up after the first button is pressed.

Power
The unit is set up to run on 8 AA size batteries stored in a compartment on the interior of the safe. This is an initial review so i can't really tell you how long the battery lasts, but according to some other members, it lasts about a year. Of course, the battery life is dependent upon how often you open the safe electronically.

There are two backups in case the batteries run out.
1) The two metal contacts on the left side of the exterior(Shown in one of the pictures above) is made to allow a 9v to temporarily power the safe so that you can operate the keypad opening.
2) The manual key lock on the forward face.

Interior Capacity
It is large enough to easily hold two xd service models and some extra mags. It isn't extraordinarily large, nor is it particularly a compact piece. It is just good for a drawer to keep a gun or two for your bedside.The depth is enough so that you can comfortably keep a gun on the inside. It gives a little more than two inches of depth with the foam inside. You can get an idea of how large it is by looking at the picture below of my USP compact in the safe.

Opening function
It opens easily and quickly. The lid is spring loaded and will pop open immediately after pressing the last button in your code. The entry code is a 5 key code that is user adjustable and comes preset to 1-2-3-4-1. The beeping that the safe makes as you press each button may not be what you want if your trying to be discreet, but not really a concern in everyday use. Below are two video clips of me opening the safe while it is placed in my dresser drawer. Note though that my dresser drawer opens a bit shorter than i'd like, but it still provides adequate access to the safe.

(please right-click "save as")
Vid 1
Vid 2

Conclusion
Much like our XD's its a great product for the money. Very functional and convenient with some great features so you have piece of mind. I'm glad i got it, and thus far, would recommend it to you guys as well.

:D

·
Registered
143 Posts
great review. The sound of the safe keys appears to be quite loud, is that just the video/speaker volume, or do you think that the BG breaking in will hear those beeps?

·
Registered
84 Posts
If it were a late night break in, I think the BG would here it. There is a possibility that the noise might deter the BG and make them leave as well. NOT as effective as the rack of a shotgun or slide but possible.

I'm also guessing that one could disable the speaker if you wanted to.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I bet you could either disconnect the speaker completely, or alternatively, cover the speaker hole with tape. Usually manufacturers will have a small hole over the speaker/emitter instead of a speaker grille or slots. I bet there is a small hole where the sound is coming out. If not, then back to the first solution.

Nice review Eric, I'll definitely be getting one.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Gadget said:
I bet you could either disconnect the speaker completely, or alternatively, cover the speaker hole with tape. Usually manufacturers will have a small hole over the speaker/emitter instead of a speaker grille or slots. I bet there is a small hole where the sound is coming out. If not, then back to the first solution.

Nice review Eric, I'll definitely be getting one.
What an excellent review. I've been using this very same safe for over a year, and indeed the volume of the speaker is the only drawback.

Another thing I've noticed: You can press 4 of the 5 buttons in the opening combination to "preload" the combo for faster access. In other words, press 1-2-3-4 in the morning, and you can come back a week later and press 1 and the thing will pop open. Personally, I'd prefer a time-out function, because I've tried to open the safe before only to discover that my cat, at some point during the day, had jumped on it and pressed buttons with his feet. I press a couple buttons in the combo and it errors out. To prevent this from happening at a critical moment, I always open and close it once before going to sleep.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey guys, glad you like the review. Yea, the sound of the beeps can be kind of loud... but as you see i the video... its not a very long time from the first beep to being armed and ready to go.

I'm sure it that is a big problem, you could always take the thing apart and disable the speaker. Can't wait to get my xd back from SA so i can stick it in the safe too.

·
Registered
575 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Thanks Eric_Oh for the review. :D I just got mine a hour or so ago.

While this post has been out for awhile, I wanted to add some further info. The speaker can indeed be disabled without hurting the function of the safe. I've already done it.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I've seen this same unit at Sportsman's Warehouse locally for just over $50. I'm almost positive I'm picking it up next time I'm there.

·
Registered
84 Posts
It's a nice heavy safe. I would rank it higher if the speaker were either not nearly as loud or easier to disable (ie switch to turn it off.) :)

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Umbra_Vipera said:
It's a nice heavy safe. I would rank it higher if the speaker were either not nearly as loud or easier to disable (ie switch to turn it off.) :)
I haven't really taken it apart to look, but what did you do to disable it?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Eric_Oh said:
I haven't really taken it apart to look, but what did you do to disable it?
The process wasn't too complicated, but.....

I AM PROVIDING THESE STEPS AS IS AND FOR INFORMATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY. IF YOU ATTEMPT THE STEPS LISTED BELOW, YOU DO SO AT YOUR OWN RISK. I WILL NOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE IF YOU COMPLETELY DISABLE YOUR ELECTRONIC LOCK!

I removed the hinged lid for better access to the interior of the safe. I didn't really have the correct tools available to me at the time so I used a small adjustable wrench and removed the screws from the bottom of the safe that held the lid on. The lid is obviously spring loaded, so some light pressure on the lid was needed to remove the last screw.

I removed the foam from the bottom of the case. This was needed to provide a little extra room to remove the component cavity.

I removed the batteries.

I removed the six screws holding the component cavity in place. The cavity "dropped" slightly to clear the steel "shelf".

With the combination buttons in front of me, I gently swung the cavity out on the right side. Remember, there is a cable connected to the key lock and two wires going to the 9V "jump start" leads on the left side. Since I didn't take the key lock assembly apart, I used the key to relieve the tension on the cable going to the locking "bolt" (for lack of a better term). I continued to pull on the right side swinging it out just enough to get the top circuit board to clear the steel "shelf".

I removed the four screws holding the circuit board in place and gently moved it out of the way far enough to see the wires going to the speaker.

The speaker is a black circular plastic piece mounted to the bottom of the component cavity. There are two wires (a red and a black) that go to the speaker. I clipped the red wire in the middle. By clipping it in the middle, I can easily "repair" the wire or add my own switch for times when I might want the option for turning it on.

Then I simply completed the steps in reverse order to put her all back together. :D

·
Registered
84 Posts
When ever you are in doubt,
turn to the forum for the right route! :D

We're glad to be of service! :)

·
Registered
181 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Tango Sierra said:
... it is programmable for different functions including the audible tones being turned on or off.
Wow, that soundslike a really nice feature. Hell even better would be a volume button on the inside of the same hehe... maybe i'm getting to picky now.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Just bought an ADG front loading safe an hour ago and just read this. Good thing you didn't say they were ****!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts