1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Radians Pro-Amp Electronic Muffs
and
Peltor Tactical 7 Classic

Due to a... Christmas "snafoo" I received both muffs as presents. I figured since I've got them both I might as well let everybody know what I think of 'em.. Keep in mind everything I state here is based on how I thought each product performed, not the technical data the companies offer (so my oppinions may differ significantly from their data)

First Impressions:
The Radians are tiny.. not just small but really low-profile. I wish I'd gotten a chance to use them with a rifle since I'm sure they would be a benefit (I'm always hitting my muffs on rifle stocks..) By comparison the Peltor's are massive.

Comfort:
Neither muff was "uncomfortable" per se, but I do feel the Peltors were much nicer to my ears for extended use. The Radians cups were a little small for my ears so I actually had to fold my ear up inside a little so I could secure a tight fit. The Peltors are much larger (foam also seems a little softer) so my ear was able to fit without any "lobe adjustments". They were both more comfortable than the standard range muffs I've used in the past.

Hearing Protection:
This is based on using the muffs with the microphones turned off. I was a little dissapointed with the Radians in this respect. They didn't muffle noise nearly as well as the Peltors do. I suppose its to be expected when you have ear muffs that are so much smaller but it still dissapointed me slightly. The Peltor's on the other hand, muffled noises significantly better than any other I've tried (electronic or not). I couldn't hear my range buddy unless he was screaming at me.

Hearing Amplification:
In and out of the range the Radians were amazing. They amplified sound so well I could hear the footsteps of my dog from 15ft. away easily, and he is a small dog. My own breathing became loud when they were turned up.. The Peltors, however, were a little dissapointing in this respect. They amplify sound enough to be heard a little better than normal (unmuffed) ears but not even in the same ballpark as the Radians.

Range Use:
They're nice to have but certainly not the end-all be-all. What I hadn't considered on my first trip to the range is the air filtration system.. it was very loud. Both muffs picked up considerable ambient noice from these vents nullifying much of their benefit. I'm not saying they weren't useful, they most certainly were, but don't expect what you hear at home to be what you hear at the range.

Packaging:
The Peltors are somewhat of a pain to pack away in your 8$ range bag because they're so huge. They don't fold up in any clever way or anything like that.. just a big set of ear muffs. The Radians, on the other hand, found a clever little way to fold themselves up (as I'm sure many of you have seen) they pack away and end up being about the same size as a single side of the Peltor muffs.

Tidbits:

Radians:

The biggest complaint I have about the Radians is a toss up. Iif you turn them all the way up and hear a sound at just the right level (say a medium-hard clap) it'll be just quiet enough to be missed by the cutoff but just loud enough to be applified to the point where it hurts my ears a little.. The other issue I have is with how well they muffle. In my honest opinion I don't think they muffle sound enough for an indoor range... I was a little nervous about continued use because my ears were feeling some impact (I am very sensitive about my ears.)

Peltors:
Damn things are huge.. I'm not looking forward to shooting any rifles because I think I'm going to have a hard time stopping the muffs from getting in the way of the rifle stock. Hearing amplification could be better as well but its just good enough to suit my needs.

Feel free to draw your own conclusions and correct me as needed. This wasn't intended to "put down" either product but rather talk about the strengths and weaknesses of each.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hi. Good review, though your thread title is wrong. I was expecting a Pro-Ears comparison :(

Though I have Pro-Amp and Pro-Ears. The Pro-Amp doesn't have a lot of cushion on the strap. Too little for my pinhead, unless I wear a cap. I was amped when I got them, but now don't wear the Pro-Amp much at all, and have gone back to the Pro-Ears because they are higher quality; more consistent electronics, comfortable etc. My price in 2002 was insane for the Pro-Ears. I think it was like $280 or something like that. Nowadays you can find them for barely > $100.

Everyone I know wears both earplugs and electronic muffs at once. It's the best of both worlds. The one guy that doesn't, well, he doesn't even wear his muffs between stages. He crazy.

·
Registered
224 Posts
First Impressions:
The Radians are tiny.. not just small but really low-profile. I wish I'd gotten a chance to use them with a rifle since I'm sure they would be a benefit (I'm always hitting my muffs on rifle stocks..)
My wife has a pair of the Radians muffs, which of course I had to try out. I tried them at the outdoor range with my hunting rifle. Maybe it's just me, but I still had an interference problem against my stock and can't get my cheek down snug. The problem I think is the "bulge" at the bottom of the muffs where I beleive most of the electronics are located. I think if it was thinner at the bottom with the "bulge" at the top (like the Peltor Shotgunner non-electric muffs) it would work out better. But then again, this is just my $0.02 worth. Other than that, I liked these muffs alot given the $69 pricepoint here locally.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts