Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about taking back my brand new XDM-40 never shot before to trade for XDM-45. Any advice? Im only losing 3 rounds but gaining a good caliber if I go for the .45 Both calibers are the exact price so I wouldnt lose anything besides the 10% restocking fee. Sucks because I bought a bunch of .40 rounds ordered some X-treme grips but still thinking about returning. Purchased the handgun on Sep 2, 2011 only have 30 days to return or trade, any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
127,714 Posts
Follow your gut.

·
Registered
403 Posts
What's making you want to make the trade? You didn't give a reason.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good point, well I figure for the same price I can choose between the .40 and .45. This will be my 9th handgun purchase but have never owned a .45 I have shot many .45 caliber hangunds in the past. Would the .45 round be a better choice for self and home defense? I have seen this debate before, but just some opinions and pointers would really help me make my choice.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Would the .45 round be a better choice for self and home defense? I have seen this debate before, but just some opinions and pointers would really help me make my choice.
Both rounds will do their job. One is not really better than the other.

·
Registered
21 Posts
First of all I would get the "gear up" promotion. Then get/rent/borrow the 45, shoot both and sell/don't buy the one you are not as fond of.

Both have their rounds has their advantages, but it comes down to what YOU shot better. Whichever one that is I would go with that.

·
Registered
21 Posts
First of all I would get the "gear up" promotion. Then get/rent/borrow the 45, shoot both and sell/don't buy the one you are not as fond of.

Both have their rounds has their advantages, but it comes down to what YOU shot better. Whichever one that is I would go with that.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry I misunderstood when you said "sell". I already bought the .40 and have the chance to exchange for the .45 since the store policy is 30 days on returns. Thats a good idea to rent the .45, cause I would really be dissapointed If I went to exchange and do not like the .45, oh and I have already participated in the gear up program when I purchased the .40 September 2nd. Thats another downfall I already have extra .40 mags coming and if I exchange Ill have mags that are no good.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry I misunderstood when you said "sell". I already bought the .40 and have the chance to exchange for the .45 since the store policy is 30 days on returns. Thats a good idea to rent the .45, cause I would really be dissapointed If I went to exchange and do not like the .45, oh and I have already participated in the gear up program when I purchased the .40 September 2nd. Thats another downfall I already have extra .40 mags coming and if I exchange Ill have mags that are no good.

·
Registered
21 Posts
After you sell all of your extra mags that you will get you would break even or a little better. I said sell because I have seen a lot of guns with a few hundred rounds thru them go for just under the retail. Might as well shoot it a little right? Maybe it is "the perfect gun"?

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good Advice, thanks! Hopefully have an update in the next week or so

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
My gut says to get the .45, especially since you don't already own one. :)

·
Registered
192 Posts
If I could go back I would have gotten a 45 instead of a 40. But I am really happy with my XDm.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks guys, yeah I have the advantage right now to go exchange, due to the fact that I have owned so many .40 cals and never a .45. Just doing some reading on reviews of the .45 has anybody owned the .45? Any issues, concerns...etc?

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
I'd just keep it. The .45 won't kill anyone deader than the .40 (or 9mm for that matter). Hit them in the sternum with any of the quality JHP's and the bad guy will be stopped.

If you simply want a .45, then take the financial hit and get it. But, I'd rather have a 1911 to launch .45's...

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I agree with the 1911 comment, well screw it Im just gonna go ahead and take it to the range today, theres no turning back! If I want the .45 ill just get that in the near future..plus Id have 2 xdms nothing wrong with that!!

·
Registered
35 Posts
i like the subcompact xc40... shoots very good.

and i took advantage of the promo.. as well. both calibers will do the job

·
Registered
595 Posts
Go with your gut on which one. and if you do go with the 45 don't worry. you can sell those 16 round 40cal mag's very easy. just let me know how much you want for them. but as far as to keep the 40 or go with the 45. all of us can give our opinions all day long but the one opinion that counts is yours after all you will be the one to shoot it and it will be your gun. for me here 40 is a little cheaper to shoot than 45. but thats one of many reasons i got the 40. but no matter what 9mm, 40 cal or 45 xdm's all great in any caliber.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the advice guys

·
Premium Member
4,437 Posts
keep it and buy the .45 later on down the road, then you will have both!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts