Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone give me some sort of basic objective criteria--that I can test on at my indoor range--for adequate shooting skills for my first IPSC shoot sometime this year?

I asked this question here once before and got some good training advice, which I've been following, but nobody was willing say something like, "You might want to be able to put x rounds in the A zone at y distance in z seconds." That's really the sort of thing I'd like to hear about.

Understand that I don't feel the need to do *well* at my first shoots--I'd just like to avoid completely embarrassing myself. :lol:

·
Registered
308 Posts
Well, don't worry about completely embarrissing yourself shooting in competition - - - everybody does it! :oops: The main skills you need are: to be able to handle your gun safely and hit the target once in a while. No matter how good you can shoot in practice - - - believe it or not Murpphy's Law applies to shooting too! :shock:

Go to a match and have FUN that's what it is all about! 8)

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
I wouldn't worry about x in y at z AT ALL. Concentrate on keeping your muzzle downrange, your finger off the trigger when it should be off, and shooting as accurately as you can. Speed will come later, accuracy at long shots will come later, your main concern at your first few matches is: don't shoot the Range/Safety Officer and don't shoot yourself, in that order of priority (spoken as a true Range/Safety Officer :!: :!: )

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay, guys, let me see if I'm getting the message:

1) Be safe.
2) Have fun.

:lol:

I guess I can understand this pov based on my main form of recreation, which is rock climbing--I've said the same things over and over to people I've taught to climb. Build good anchors, double check every part of your system, etc., etc., have *fun*, and don't worry about the difficulty ratings of the climbs you're doing. One of the best climbers of the modern era said, "The best climber is the one who's having the most fun."

That said, though, climbs get rated so that people don't get suckered onto routes they're not prepared to get up safely, if at all. And it sometimes it's less fun to be in a party of hardass climbers who are on stuff that's way over your head...

Camper, those Cross Creek scenarios look like fun!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Some of the things I practiced before my first IDPA match were drawing and holstering without sweeping my body, starting with a dry gun and then at the range.

As another SO I like to see the finger extended along the slide. As a shooter I practice going from this position to enaging a target and getting on the trigger.

After a few matches you willget the hang of things and good scores will follow with practice.

GOOOD LUCK :!:

·
Registered
228 Posts
hello david and welcome to practical pistol shooting!! butterflies are normal. one element of this game that new shooters can struggle with is performance anxiety.
everyone is different, there's no one magic method to reduce it. just drive your gun. build on each experience, the good ones and bad ones. breathe, smile and enjoy the shoot. i found that A TON of dry firing and reloading practice at home made a huge difference. and in case you haven't, YOU MUST visit:

http://brianenos.ibforums.com/index.php?act=idx

...simply the best practical shooting info source going. BE SAFE, have fun.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts