Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a great time at Asymmetric Solutions USA's Tactical Shotgun I a week or so ago and thought I'd offer this AAR.

We gathered up with some of the ASUSA staff and in the morning spent most of our time reviewing the basics of tactical shotgun use and functionality, practicing various positions and manipulating the safety and getting it up and on target rapidly, moving from various holds. I was brand new to this kind of shotgun use, having only noodled around on my own with my Remington 870 Police Magnum and doing a bit of sporting clay shooting.

This was all new to me and I soaked up every minute of the training.

With snap cap dummy rounds we spent a lot of time on tactical reloads, emergency reloads and quickly chambering rounds, practicing putting a "slug" in quickly, if need be, from the side saddles or bandoliers we had for the day.

The training was very careful, very useful and very student-friendly, with no macho BS, just solid training, lots of good corrections, one-on-one and positive reinforcement and criticism where needed and necessary, it was great stuff.

The afternoon session, from 12:30-5:30 was devoted to a LOT of shooting, with a lot of drills putting into practice what we had been going through in the morning, fun times, with lots of drills.

I think many of us enjoyed the "slug shooting" portion of the day where we were able to square up against relatively small steel torso targets about about forty yards away and banged away with slugs. Talk about a nice big "boom" and plenty of "felt recoil" good stuff.

We spent a lot of time drilling on speed reloading with the constant mantra of "feed the beast" at every possible opportunity, learning how to get fresh rounds into the magazine when we could, or emergency reloading, overhand, into the chamber as fast as possible.

My favorite drill was the "Rolling Thunder" drill where six or seven us of had to fire one round, to the next guy, who fired one, and so forth, while we reloaded as fast as possible, then two, two, two, etc then three, three, etc. then four, four, four and five, five, five, down the line, a great drilling for some stress testing of reloading skills. I totally blew it the first time, did better second time.

Also learned the hard way that my Remington 870 Police Magnum does NOT like Fiocchi dove loads, but chewed through Winchester AA with no problems. 00 Buck was no problem at all, the slugs worked great. Not sure my shoulder would have enjoyed more than about forty rounds of it though.

I left feeling much more confident that I know what I need to be practicing and drilling to further refine what had been taught.

·
Registered
19,923 Posts
The Fiocchi a low brass hull?

Tighter chamber guns can be picky with them. Get yours polished and it'll help with smooth ejecting.

My 500 has it's moments with cheap low brass too. Especially after about 100 through it in the day.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Tighter chamber guns can be picky with them. Get yours polished and it'll help with smooth ejecting.

My 500 has it's moments with cheap low brass too. Especially after about 100 through it in the day.

Thanks, that may well be it. I'll try polishing up the chamber in the Police Magnum and see what happens.

·
Premium Member
15,438 Posts

^This right here... Polish it up and it should help

·
Banned
0 Posts
I wouldn't mind taking a course with my KSG or VEPR. It would be fun.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I prefer a 500 over an 870 for a fighting shotgun. Ever try to load an 870 with gloves on? That loading gate is like a glove hook waiting to jam. Lol

·
Premium Member
16,913 Posts
I prefer a 500 over an 870 for a fighting shotgun. Ever try to load an 870 with gloves on? That loading gate is like a glove hook waiting to jam. Lol
590 joints the recoil the aluminum of the 500 makes an unreliable recoil pulse.

With flight control almost eliminates the need for changeovers killing the 870s claim to fame

Safety is a momentary choice. Prior performance and certification are completely irrelevant.

·
Registered
19,923 Posts
Flight control is awesome. I need more.

I'm not sure where you're going with recoil pulse but yeah, I'd prefer the beefier 590 to my 500 but it's been an outstanding gun in my 20 years of use.

The only down side is the lifespan of the Mossberg tang safety. Remington's crossbolt is pretty foolproof.

·
Premium Member
15,438 Posts

I'm not sure where you're going with recoil pulse but yeah, I'd prefer the beefier 590 to my 500 but it's been an outstanding gun in my 20 years of use.

The only down side is the lifespan of the Mossberg tang safety. Remington's crossbolt is pretty foolproof.

Mav 88... just wish it was metal and not plastic

·
Premium Member
16,913 Posts

With aluminium it doesn't move together in effect slingshotting the recoil into you and the gun/lightswear faster. Metal 590 smooth albeit shotgun level pulse

Safety is a momentary choice. Prior performance and certification are completely irrelevant.

·
Registered
9,659 Posts
Sounds like a pretty cool class!

·
Premium Member
17,523 Posts
Dibs on Amsdorf's Remington 870 Police Magnum when he puts it up for sale to buy his FN SLP....:mrgreen:

·
Registered
19,923 Posts
With aluminium it doesn't move together in effect slingshotting the recoil into you and the gun/lightswear faster. Metal 590 smooth albeit shotgun level pulse

I reckon. I'm not terribly recoil sensitive to notice. Don't have a light on mine either but my gun currently doesn't like heavier loads, the safety is slipping on sometimes. Time for another rebuild! I think I'll use an oversized button this time.

·
Registered
19,923 Posts
Mav 88... just wish it was metal and not plastic
They're tragically underrated shotguns. I'd wager there's an aftermarket piece for them by now though.

If I get another pump gun, it might be a maverick 8 shot unless I can find a 1300 on the cheap.

I wants me a semi auto though. A 9 shot 930 JM Pro looks fun.

·
Premium Member
15,438 Posts
They're tragically underrated shotguns. I'd wager there's an aftermarket piece for them by now though.

If I get another pump gun, it might be a maverick 8 shot unless I can find a 1300 on the cheap.

I wants me a semi auto though. A 9 shot 930 JM Pro looks fun.

They are a great shotgun and most likely will get another soon. I have not seen and aftermarket with a crossbolt for the Mav yet. I would like one for the Mav and the Win 1200

This is my custom Mav 88 -

·
Registered
19,923 Posts
I used to like top folders like that until I used one.

I can't say I've found a folding stock I like though.

Maybe I need to play with a SCAR

·
Premium Member
15,438 Posts
I used to like top folders like that until I used one.

I can't say I've found a folding stock I like though.

Maybe I need to play with a SCAR

I love that top folder, I can shoot it from the hip( yes I can aim it) and while the stock has no recoil absorbtion, It is no worse that my Ithaca 37s

·
Registered
19,923 Posts
They're definitely not all created equal. I still want a SPAS-12 with the top folder and arm hook on it.

It was THE go to mean gun from the 80's and 90's.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts