Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a Hi-Point 995 from another club member. Never shot before. Still the old version stock. $200.00
Now for the report:
Well the stock absolutely sucks! Cheap plastic with a seam straight down the middle that opens up a little.
The trigger is awful. No other words for it.
It's heavy for what it is, and definitely ugly.

It shoots very well though. To my surprise I was able to get 1.5" groups at 30yards with the peep sights. Bench shooting with a lead sled for a rest. Didn't test it out past 30yards. I'll have to some other time.
Used Winchester range ammo(200) & Sellier Bellot 115gr(50) FMJ.

I did have a FTF issue. The magazine has about a 1/8" vertical play. If held tight to the action it will FTF. If allowed to sag down no problems what so ever. I was informed by previous owner it has feed issues with JHP ammo. Most likely the ramp needs polishing. In the Hi-Point book it recommends FMJ also.

If I come across one of these in .45acp I'm going to jump all over it. I was actually that impressed with it. For $200.00 and that kind of accuracy I don't know what to say. Lots of shortcomings but it shoots and shoots well.

IMHO it's worth the money. I wouldn't trust my life to it, but for kicks why not.

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
I've had one for a couple of years and have loved playing with it. Mine has the "tactical" stock and I've never had a problem with any ammo I ran through it. Pretty accurate with my reloads out to about 50 yds. Only issues with these things are the 10 rd mags and tearing them down to clean; other than that they are lots of fun.

Might be selling mine in order to get the .45 model. Saw one at the local gun show this week end and they are only $280. Not a bad price for such a fun gun. Enjoy new toy.

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
I picked one up for $100, played with it a bit, shot a box of 50 out of it, put it in the safe and sold it a few weeks later. Not a horrible gun by any means, just wasn't for me.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I bought mine when they first came out with the new stock. Great plinker and very accurate with a red dot. Mine looks really tact'd out and gets alot of attention at the range. It has a Magpul AFG and a Walther PS22 red dot sight and it looks awesome. Anyway, great gun for not alot of money!

·
Registered
11,293 Posts
Hi-Point.....OUT!

·
Registered
84 Posts
I love mine. Had it for a few years now. I put a red dot and a compensator on mine. Its a great shooter and very accurate at 50 yards. Lots of fun to shoot!

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
I picked up a Hi-Point 995 from another club member. Never shot before. Still the old version stock. $200.00
Now for the report:
Well the stock absolutely sucks! Cheap plastic with a seam straight down the middle that opens up a little.
The trigger is awful. No other words for it.
It's heavy for what it is, and definitely ugly.

It shoots very well though. To my surprise I was able to get 1.5" groups at 30yards with the peep sights. Bench shooting with a lead sled for a rest. Didn't test it out past 30yards. I'll have to some other time.
Used Winchester range ammo(200) & Sellier Bellot 115gr(50) FMJ.

I did have a FTF issue. The magazine has about a 1/8" vertical play. If held tight to the action it will FTF. If allowed to sag down no problems what so ever. I was informed by previous owner it has feed issues with JHP ammo. Most likely the ramp needs polishing. In the Hi-Point book it recommends FMJ also.

If I come across one of these in .45acp I'm going to jump all over it. I was actually that impressed with it. For $200.00 and that kind of accuracy I don't know what to say. Lots of shortcomings but it shoots and shoots well.

IMHO it's worth the money. I wouldn't trust my life to it, but for kicks why not.
So which is it? If is was unfired, how did he know it had feed issues with HP ammo. You certainly can't tell how a gun functions by just cycling the bolt by hand.

·
Registered
362 Posts
If you paid $200 for the old version, you overpaid IMO. The new version is around $200 for the 995TS. Cabelas had them on sale last year for $180.

I have the 995TS and a 4095TS. Very fun and very accurate. No problems with either of mine at all, with any ammo. Lots of turned up noses at the range, but those who shot it changed their opinion of it, especially when I told them the price.

Only thumbs down from me is the 10 round mags. I go through them very quickly. Wish they would have made with a double stack hi-cap magazine in mind.

All the best,
Glenn

·
Registered
362 Posts
Forgot to add - made in America with excellent customer service. When I decided to do some modifying to mine, the company was happy to offer guidance. I bought extra mags and a 995TS mag holder factory direct at very reasonable prices.
All the best,
Glenn

1 - 10 of 10 Posts