Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to the range after work yesterday to try out my first 4 reloads for my new xd45 and was very surprised. I did not think this stuff was going to be so hot as I followed the load data from Hodgdon (high side, 800+ fps). I chrony'd 10 rounds of each load and was blown away at the results. between 1,080 & 1,100 fps on all 4 loads. Could the fact that the stuff sat in my truck all day long in 100° weather be a factor? I let it sit in the shade for around 30 minutes while I set up and it felt cool to the touch prior to shooting. Anyway, I am going to reduce the load and try not to let the ammo sit in the heat so I can slow it down some. no sense in beating up my gun. Besides, I was only shooting holes in paper. I was also hitting clays at 50 yards every now and then. It shot great and was very accurate. It didnt even seem to be all that powerful as far as recoil but then again, I was shooting an XD! ;)

5.3grs w231, berrys 230gr RN, CCI primers, lightly crimped, oal 1.230''
5.3grs w231, berrys 230gr RN, wolf primers, lightly crimped, oal 1.230''
5.3grs w231, montana gold 230gr cmj, CCI primers, no crimp, oal 1.230''
5.3grs w231, montana gold 230gr cmj, wolf primers, no crimp, oal 1.230''

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Did you use jacked bullet data for the berry's?

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
That's way faster than any loads I have run with W231 and 230 gr bullets; lead or FMJ. Could you have been too close to the chrony or maybe shooting really high above it? Something just isn't right. Surely one of the reloading gurus will be along to give some good advice. Fred, where are you?

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
Agalindo has a good point; Berry's use lead loading data. Still I've shot a lot of 230 gr LRN with 5.0 gr of W231 and no where near 1000 fps.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fellas,

The brass and primers look great, no signs of over pressure. I used the same data for both FMJ and LRN. Never noticed much difference between lead and jacketed bullets on my loads. I think ETexPops nailed it on the head. I may have been too close to my Chrony. I still have bullets from each batch and will shoot some more tomorrow morning. I did not get ay errors on all 40 rds fired so I dont think shooting too high is it.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
Fellas,

The brass and primers look great, no signs of over pressure. I used the same data for both FMJ and LRN. Never noticed much difference between lead and jacketed bullets on my loads. I think ETexPops nailed it on the head. I may have been too close to my Chrony. I still have bullets from each batch and will shoot some more tomorrow morning. I did not get ay errors on all 40 rds fired so I dont think shooting too high is it.
I try to keep my chrono about 6' from the muzzle.

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts

I usually err on the side of caution and am at least 12' from the chrono. At the close distances there is a good chance the muzzle blast (unburned powder) will affect the readings.

Let us know what you find out xd45beast.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts

I usually err on the side of caution and am at least 12' from the chrono. At the close distances there is a good chance the muzzle blast (unburned powder) will affect the readings.

Let us know what you find out xd45beast.

I'm not chrono savy, but that does make sense. Something to file away for future use! Always a nugget of gold to be found here.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I finall got to drag myself out of bed at 5:30 pm today after being sick all night like a bird with the runs (not good). I did not get any sleep until today which I spent slugging around. So I head out to the range to fulfill my commitment to the forum and get the results I had been looking for. I appears that I was indeed shooting way to close to my chrony as stated by ETexPops and was getting bogus results. These velocities are way more manageable. I shot 10 more rounds from each batch with zero errors. I really appreciate everyones input.

Have a nice day!

5.3grs w231, berrys 230gr RN, CCI primers, lightly crimped, oal 1.230'' (652 fps)
5.3grs w231, berrys 230gr RN, wolf primers, lightly crimped, oal 1.230'' (705 fps)
5.3grs w231, montana gold 230gr cmj, CCI primers, no crimp, oal 1.230'' (654 fps)
5.3grs w231, montana gold 230gr cmj, wolf primers, no crimp, oal 1.230'' (712 fps)

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
Glad you found the answer to the super fast ammo. Brings to mind another question; why the 50 fps variance with the same bullets and only changing the brand of primer? I, too, use CCI and Wolf primers and never noticed either an increase or decrease in velocity with same bullets and load. Puzzling. Maybe someone can explain that one.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I finall got to drag myself out of bed at 5:30 pm today after being sick all night like a bird with the runs (not good). I did not get any sleep until today which I spent slugging around. So I head out to the range to fulfill my commitment to the forum and get the results I had been looking for. I appears that I was indeed shooting way to close to my chrony as stated by ETexPops and was getting bogus results. These velocities are way more manageable. I shot 10 more rounds from each batch with zero errors. I really appreciate everyones input.

Have a nice day!

5.3grs w231, berrys 230gr RN, CCI primers, lightly crimped, oal 1.230'' (652 fps)
5.3grs w231, berrys 230gr RN, wolf primers, lightly crimped, oal 1.230'' (705 fps)
5.3grs w231, montana gold 230gr cmj, CCI primers, no crimp, oal 1.230'' (654 fps)
5.3grs w231, montana gold 230gr cmj, wolf primers, no crimp, oal 1.230'' (712 fps)
My chrono experience is extraordinarily limited, but an (somewhat) educated guess has me suspecting that you were reading the velocity of gas escaping from the handgun around the bullet, instead of the bullet proper.

·
Registered
124 Posts
were either one of the primers magnum primers? If so a magnum primer can actually start to push the bullet out of the case before combustion begins. I would think that would lower your velocity. I personally don't use either primer so I'm not sure how well they work

1 - 14 of 14 Posts